The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

So, with Sheamus and Cesaro moving to SD, I’m assuming they will be replaced by Breezeango for the title match after they lost them. Because what’s the point of them winning the titles and then vacating them immediately after. 

Unless there's a plan to merge the tag titles. When you look at Raw's tag teams versus SmackDown's, one side looks noticeably more promising than the other. It's a shame for AOP and The Revival, but there's loads of time for the former and the latter are never getting on a PPV at this point let alone getting a title reign.

• Paid Members

I think merging the tag titles is a good idea and merging the world titles is an even better idea. Have the world champions for the men's, women's and tag divisions float between both brands- job done. It continually gives you fresh feuds and decreases the staleness of the rosters.

With the women's divisions so large nowadays you could add a Women's world tag titles (which has been rumoured anyway) to give them something else to aim for rather than having 20 women fighting over the same title. Or even IC & US equivalent titles, one for each brand.

• Paid Members

I've said it a ton of times, but the days of one World Champion across both brands was the best use of the brand split. You could have the champion involved in a main event feud on one show, while mixing it up with people lower down the card on the other, then switch it up depending on who he's facing at the next pay-per-view. Like how Undertaker was having matches with Rob Van Dam and Jeff Hardy on RAW as champion, while feuding with Hulk Hogan on Smackdown.

How plausible that would be with touring schedules, I don't know, though.

8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I've said it a ton of times, but the days of one World Champion across both brands was the best use of the brand split. You could have the champion involved in a main event feud on one show, while mixing it up with people lower down the card on the other, then switch it up depending on who he's facing at the next pay-per-view. Like how Undertaker was having matches with Rob Van Dam and Jeff Hardy on RAW as champion, while feuding with Hulk Hogan on Smackdown.

How plausible that would be with touring schedules, I don't know, though.

There's all sorts of interesting stuff you could do with it too. Imagine Rousey chasing the Women's title so she can appear on SmackDown and settle a score with Charlotte, or Balor winning the big belt and starting separate chapters of the Bullet Club on both shows. It gives them an extra story device with lots of potential.

• Paid Members

I actually have no problem with the champion barely appearing, I just think they've made a complete pig's ear of actually booking around it well. Lesnar should be like a touring champion back in the territory days - in his absence, you build up a "local" babyface to challenge him the next time he comes to town, and him showing up is a huge event, used to put over your own stars even in defeat.

• Paid Members

It's not even necessarily a "booker vs. writer" thing, so much as it's the nature of weekly television.

Brock Lesnar shouldn't be wrestling on TV every week, but if it was up to me, nobody would be wrestling on TV every week - promos, vignettes, backstage angles, maybe the odd squash match, but the biggest contributor to the whole "nobody feels special" atmosphere in WWE is weekly TV, and specifically weekly TV where the expectation is for the top stars to all be wrestling long, competitive matches every week. No one's an attraction when you're seeing them for free every Monday.

People complain about part-timers - if anything, I think WWE should have more part-timers, but they need to use them a hell of a lot better.

Problem is, the genie's out of the bottle now. You can't just go back to squash matches and taped skits after two decades of people expecting to see the top stars thrown into a tag team match together in the main event of every show.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It's not even necessarily a "booker vs. writer" thing, so much as it's the nature of weekly television.

I'm not sure about that. Up to about 1997 when writing replaced booking, we had weekly television that still maintained a less is more approach. That's been very much lost since. It's not even that everyone is on every show. It's what you use that appearance for. It should be to go somewhere. Bookers generally build to something weeks or months in advance. With the writing culture, it seems to be the next hour. Or a week if you're lucky. There is something in the future that you want people to buy into but too often it's inconsiquential until, shock, it's a week away.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Brock Lesnar shouldn't be wrestling on TV every week, but if it was up to me, nobody would be wrestling on TV every week - promos, vignettes, backstage angles, maybe the odd squash match, but the biggest contributor to the whole "nobody feels special" atmosphere in WWE is weekly TV, and specifically weekly TV where the expectation is for the top stars to all be wrestling long, competitive matches every week. No one's an attraction when you're seeing them for free every Monday.

People complain about part-timers - if anything, I think WWE should have more part-timers, but they need to use them a hell of a lot better.

Problem is, the genie's out of the bottle now. You can't just go back to squash matches and taped skits after two decades of people expecting to see the top stars thrown into a tag team match together in the main event of every show.

You're pretty much echoing my thoughts here Pat. I have absolutely no problem with the likes of Brock, or anyone who is the World champ for that matter, appearing sparingly. It's been shown over and over again that appearing on WWE TV every week seems to make everyone less special. Being the men's, women's and world tag team champions and therefore attaining a special status of only wrestling on big shows (and live events obviously in most cases) would do wonders for the value of these titles, and is part of the reason why the championships of these divisions should be merged to make them feel more special. 

If there was a way to reach a level in my own work place where If I got to that point I would get paid more money, for doing less hours, it being a big deal when I would decide to turn up, then I'm pretty sure other people would want to strive towards that as well. For wrestling, it would create an extra layer of friction and competition for the TV shows. 

• Paid Members

Booker T has announced he’s back on commentary this coming Monday. No idea if he’s taking Coach or Corey’s spot. Hopefully Coach as he’s been dreadful since he’s come back. Booker’s not much better, but at least you can get a laugh from him. 

Just had a nightmare vision of Cole, Coach and Booker together on commentary. I think Raw would have to be watched on mute from that point onwards. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Booker T has announced he’s back on commentary this coming Monday. No idea if he’s taking Coach or Corey’s spot.

It’s Coach, and it’s a one-off. Coach is away doing some Golf Channel gig.

• Paid Members

I didn’t see it. The only thing I’ve heard is that it was a tag team fest Teddy Long would have been proud of.

I’m due to go to the toilet at work around 10.00am, can you please start discussing Raw in order to enhance, or ruin, my experience, I don’t mind which.

cheers

Edited by Kaz Hayashi