Facebook updates that blow your mind

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I love how they can't confirm if the lass is pregnant until next week but they already know the baby has heart problems.

I like that they know the baby is stressed because the baby knows the parents aren't together anymore! "Coming this fall, Psychic Babies, Monday Nights on NBC", 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Same tbh but I was also aware that a lot of other kids we knew were getting up to far worse than my mates & I.

I think the biggest difference is social media & the instant availability of information. Not just for children's mischief but everything. A mate's uncle used to work the doors in Blackpool in the late 80's/early 90's & he maintains it's 100x nicer & safer round there now. He reckons it used to be an absolute war zone but the perception is that it's never been worse. The difference being that if someone got a kicking  or there was a mass fight back then unless you were there then you were pretty much oblivious. Now with 'local 'news' pages' on FB the like you've got what's essentially curtain twitching on an industrial scale.

Yeah, there's a lot of this.

When I could be dragged away from computer games and comic books, I was a consistent minor nuisance as a kid, and I was by far the meekest of the lot of us. Most kids around me grew up pelting cars with rocks, playing with fireworks, stealing from building sites, and throwing stuff on the bonfire. Kids in primary school were expelled for attacking teachers. And there were far rougher schools, and rougher kids, around than mine.

By 2000, kids in Hull were getting mugged at knife point for Pokemon cards. My dad's first teaching post after finishing his teaching training, in the late '90s, was Amy Johnson School, which was in the bottom 50, and at one point the bottom 10, schools in the country. I don't think he would agree that kids today are any worse behaved or less respectful than what he had to put up with there!

I'm not saying that there aren't some entitled parents out there, but I see that as a changing dynamic around education, rather than a lack of parental responsibility - education is framed as a service industry, now, so they think they as the customer should get to dictate terms.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

I see this all the time on local FB Groups. Oh another mugging, oh someone was arrested last night with a knife on him. It's getting worse round here, used to be so lovely.

No, it's always been like that, it's just you now have social media allowing instant local news to be published. I was mugged twice in my teens. Once I was beaten up, the other they pulled a knive and I was able to run away. That was 18-20 years ago now. But there was no social media to tell people about it, and it's a minor crime so it won't make the local press.

Kids have always been wankers. You were either one yourself, or you hung around with one and therefore did things you wouldn't be proud of as an adult. Nothing has changed there. 

• Paid Members

Someone in their sixties posted on a local news group here after a stabbing a couple of years ago saying, "Jersey's become unsafe, you never used to get anything like this back in our day".

So I replied saying something to the effect of, "no, in your day all you had to worry about was a decade long campaign of horrific sexual assault, decades of institutional child abuse, widespread corruption, prolonged hate campaigns, arson and mob justice...." and so on.

Quite often, when people say "unsafe", they're only a breath away from saying "too many foreigners".

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Some of it has. I try not to be a suspicious old bastard because I remember when we'd hang around outside the shops at night with no motive or think i was funny to jump on someone's hedge or nick their milk bottles or whatever. However. and again, maybe just my upbringing but we didn't give people the grief they get now. Getting a bollocking off a teacher, a neighbour or, god forbid, a copper was a big deal.

Yeah to you. And it still is to lots of kids. There were kids around when I was a kid who didn't a single fuck about any of that then either. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, gmoney said:

Yeah to you. And it still is to lots of kids. There were kids around when I was a kid who didn't a single fuck about any of then then either. 

Same. But they seemed like the exception then and the rule now. Maybe I am just getting old.

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Someone in their sixties posted on a local news group here after a stabbing a couple of years ago saying, "Jersey's become unsafe, you never used to get anything like this back in our day".

It's not as if Jersey has never had a dangerous load of men armed to the teeth walking about like they owned the place.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-228-0326-34A,_Gue

The fuckers who go on about kids being ten million times worse than in my day are invariably the ones who post those "I drank from the garden hose, got smacked, had a cot covered in lead paint.  Kids don't know they're born" pics.  Usually interspersed with warnings about letting kids play outside because they'll get run over or abducted by dark skinned immigrants, not our traditional British nonces.  They have also boycotted RNLI despite never donating anything to them in their entire lives.

Stupid cunts, basically.