Facebook updates that blow your mind

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

I don't "get" much pop music that is made these days. That's a combination of the fact that I'm at an age & demographic where much of it isn't aimed at me, and just my selective, discriminate opinion. But that's fine - the generation younger than myself is more responsive and involved, I think. And the truth is that for nearly everyone under 70, there tends to be a cognitive bias into thinking that the "best" pop music just so happens to have been around in your teens & early 20's. Of course, that doesn't exclude other eras, but it's a consistent pattern.

However it's rubbish to say that pop songs with crap lyrics that could have been written up in 10 minutes by a nine year old is just a recent phenomenon - I haven't seen one of those "compare lyrics/music" in a while but when they were about I'd often reply by quoting parts of lyrics from songs that made No. 1 in the past. 2Unlimited's "No Limit" being an easy one, "Rollin'" from Limp Biskit, "Barbie Girl" etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Courtesy of the requisite right-wing, "political correctness gone mad" berk on my Facebook friends;

67901827_10157527107838792_1640975539147

He has no children. He doesn't work in education. But of course he'll blindly agree with something which suggests that Kids Today are mollycoddled, and it was so much better back....twenty+ years before he was born.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
On 8/2/2019 at 1:15 PM, BomberPat said:

Courtesy of the requisite right-wing, "political correctness gone mad" berk on my Facebook friends;

He has no children. He doesn't work in education. But of course he'll blindly agree with something which suggests that Kids Today are mollycoddled, and it was so much better back....twenty+ years before he was born.

I come from a family of teachers as well as being attached to one, so I hear this kind of stuff every day. I may be biased but in this instance I don't think its a million miles off the mark tbh.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
On 8/2/2019 at 1:15 PM, BomberPat said:

What's your problem with it? Because while it's overly simplified for effect, I don't disagree with it. Parental responsibility seems to be at an all time low. Whether it's teachers, neighbours, coppers or whoever, we seem to have a generation of kids who don't respect anyone or anything. Maybe just our part of the world, I dunno.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

What's your problem with it? Because while it's overly simplified for effect, I don't disagree with it. Parental responsibility seems to be at an all time low. Whether it's teachers, neighbours, coppers or whoever, we seem to have a generation of kids who don't respect anyone or anything. Maybe just our part of the world, I dunno.

It's always been like this, you're just getting older & are now the 'back in my day' bloke you likely promised yourself you'd never turn in to.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”
Socrates

Edited by Dead Mike

• Paid Members
Just now, Dead Mike said:

It's always been like this, you're just getting older & are now the 'back in my day' bloke you likely promised you'd never turn in to.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”
Socrates

Yeah, pretty much this. But doubled by the fact that the person posting it has no children, has no connection to education, and was born in the early '80s. So making an argument that an education system he wasn't part of in the 1960s is superior to an education system he has no connection to in the 2010s is a daft take.

If there's something I'd agree with there, it would be the shift in how education works, to see the student as a "customer", with the associated "the customer is always right" mentality. But that's absolutely not the context he's sharing that in, nor is it the context it was likely created in.

• Paid Members
Just now, Dead Mike said:

It's always been like this, you're just getting older & are now the 'back in my day' bloke you likely promised you'd never turn in to.

Some of it has. I try not to be a suspicious old bastard because I remember when we'd hang around outside the shops at night with no motive or think i was funny to jump on someone's hedge or nick their milk bottles or whatever. However. and again, maybe just my upbringing but we didn't give people the grief they get now. Getting a bollocking off a teacher, a neighbour or, god forbid, a copper was a big deal. And I wouldn't have dared go crying to my Mam about it because she'd give me a kicking before she found me guilty.

• Paid Members
Just now, tiger_rick said:

Some of it has. I try not to be a suspicious old bastard because I remember when we'd hang around outside the shops at night with no motive or think i was funny to jump on someone's hedge or nick their milk bottles or whatever. However. and again, maybe just my upbringing but we didn't give people the grief they get now. Getting a bollocking off a teacher, a neighbour or, god forbid, a copper was a big deal. And I wouldn't have dared go crying to my Mam about it because she'd give me a kicking before she found me guilty.

Same tbh but I was also aware that a lot of other kids we knew were getting up to far worse than my mates & I.

I think the biggest difference is social media & the instant availability of information. Not just for children's mischief but everything. A mate's uncle used to work the doors in Blackpool in the late 80's/early 90's & he maintains it's 100x nicer & safer round there now. He reckons it used to be an absolute war zone but the perception is that it's never been worse. The difference being that if someone got a kicking  or there was a mass fight back then unless you were there then you were pretty much oblivious. Now with 'local 'news' pages' on FB the like you've got what's essentially curtain twitching on an industrial scale.

• Paid Members

There's a huge element of that I'm sure. I grew up on council estates in Hull where most were on the bones of their arses, so saw plenty of kids far worse than I was. But it still feels like a massive attitude shift, particularly from parents. And certainly in the context of the cartoon.

We had one mother in the playground this week warning people about the school because her kid cut her hair with safety scissors. If that was me, I'd be bollocking my little shit for being so stupid. Not taking it out on the teachers. Loads of this divs about.