Facebook updates that blow your mind

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Shame too because it does actually have a point. Reminds me of old Tommy's rant in Early Doors about organic food being more expensive when originally it was organic before they started adding additives and preservatives. It's like recently Waitrose trialled putting food in big tubs so you could fill your own container. Remember those shops in the 80s where that was all you did. Progress eh?

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Shame too because it does actually have a point. Reminds me of old Tommy's rant in Early Doors about organic food being more expensive when originally it was organic before they started adding additives and preservatives. It's like recently Waitrose trialled putting food in big tubs so you could fill your own container. Remember those shops in the 80s where that was all you did. Progress eh?

We always used the "weigh shops" for things like cereals, washing powder and pet food(even sweets, if I'd been good). Worked out a good bit cheaper that the supermarket pre-packed stuff. 

That post made above made a good point about bottles too. The only things that used to come in a single use plastic container was washing up liquid, bleach and fabric softener(that I can think of, anyway). All the pop and milk bottles we used were glass and 99% were given back to the shop/milk bloke to reuse. Then the fresh meat and veg was wrapped in paper by the butcher and the fruit/veg was in paper bags and string netting. 

I know that most of the benefits of the "eco-friendly" packaging that was used back in the days where everything was black & white was probably wiped out by much higher pollution cars and home and factories that used to piss fuck knows what out of their chimneys, but a shift back towards non plastic packaging has to be a step in the right direction, right?

• Paid Members

I pulled someone up on that yesterday. They posted it to be able to have a pop at the Gammon's favourite Nazi inspired target Greta Thunberg. I pointed out that it wasn't teenagers who came up with the rise of single use plastics. It was those kids who grew up in the 60's and 70's that have caused it.