DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Wonderland has no director listed, which presumably means it’s shite and whoever has directed it doesn’t want it on their CV

No, the director (Dylan Brown) was fired because he was a gropey bastard.

42 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Think that might be Wonder Park, this definitely had a director credited.

Oh yeah. Chris Butler has directed this. He wrote & directed this and  ParaNorman and wrote the screenplay for Kubo & The Two Strings.

Wonderland has no director listed, which presumably means it’s shite and whoever has directed it doesn’t want it on their CV

or is a gropey bastard

Edited by Keith Houchen

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Eighth Grade

Follows a young teenager as she steps up between middle and high school.  Really well observed for the most part and it sounded pretty authentic.  However, if you have a young teenage daughter you'll probably want to put your head in an oven.

Although it's written and directed by Bo Burnham don't go in expecting an all out comedy, there's certainly more depth than the trailer suggests.

Thought it was brilliant. So well observed, and made me think back to my own teen years and the excruciating pain of feeling ignored. Some things never change.

On 4/5/2019 at 10:21 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Unicorn Store was far funnier and much better than I was expecting. I really hope Brie Larson directs more films and isn't put off by crying men giving it 0/10 on IMDb. She does a really good job with this and definitely doesn't make a tit of herself.

Just watched this and thought it was lovey enough.  That it's upsetting spandex incels just adds to its charm.

• Paid Members
On 4/7/2019 at 1:19 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

I preferred Rampage, I think we saw that one twice.

Going back to Fish Tank, what makes it even worse is that Andrea Arnold made Red Road, which I thought was brilliant. Then again, American Honey was awful too so maybe it was a fluke or I was drugged.

"Red Road" was brilliant, I agree. Just the whole grimness of the place as well as some of the more hardcore scenes made it a brilliant watch.

Dumbo

Saw this today and thought it was alright but did drag on a bit. 

Also had the misfortune of watching this during the Easter Holidays and I find it difficult to imagine how children could sit through this film for nearly 2 hours and actually enjoy it (rating suggests its for children and there were kids everywhere), a few good moments and the odd comedy thrown in but id I was a child I would be bored out of my brains watching that. Dumbo was cute though and it had a feel good ending so that's something. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Also had the misfortune of watching this during the Easter Holidays and I find it difficult to imagine how children could sit through this film for nearly 2 hours and actually enjoy it (rating suggests its for children and there were kids everywhere)

If you go to see a kids' film during school holidays then you should expect kids there and you have no reason to moan about it.

Also - "rating suggests it's for children"? Did you think the Disney story about the cute elephant was going to be directed by Jorg Buttgereit?

8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

If you go to see a kids' film during school holidays then you should expect kids there and you have no reason to moan about it.

Also - "rating suggests it's for children"? Did you think the Disney story about the cute elephant was going to be directed by Jorg Buttgereit?

I think Briefcase was saying it was a bad film, not moaning about kids being there - and if anything it should've been more Disney story with cute elephant to appeal to them.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

To be fair, I’d vote Labour if they proposed legalising kicking the shit out of kids in cinemas.

I'd back my 10yo to batter you, so you're welcome to try!

• Awards Moderator
10 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Heh heh, butt. 

• Paid Members

Watched a film called Renegades last night. Apparently they spent $77 million on it and as far as I'm aware it never even got a wide cinema release anywhere. JK Simmons is in it for a bit, and Sylvia Hoeks as well more importantly, but it's fucking rubbish and boring. "Produced by Luc Besson" has now become an instant indicator that a film will be shit.