Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

14 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

A big chunk of The Omen's more disturbing scenes happen during the day too. Still one of the scariest horror films for me. The enemy that you can't see, can't fight, and can't escape.

giphy.gif

Still freaks me out

I haven't seen The Omen since I was a kid, I should pop it back on again.

I'm not usually one for posting in this thread, but a movie I loved back in the day has been given the ol' cleanup and BluRay release, so I gave it another watch. It didn't disappoint.

Class of 1999 is so bad that's it's good. Stacy Keach puts in a stellar performance of what a proper education security expert should have looked like in 1999, and Malcolm McDowell does a good job as the school head teacher.

Original trailer below. Fantastic stuff.

14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I haven't seen The Omen since I was a kid, I should pop it back on again.

Original still holds up really well, except the David Warner scene (ironically because the effect doesn't stand up to being shot in bright daylight and could have done with some smoke and mirrors)

Gregory Peck was ace, wasn't he

2 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Gregory Peck was ace, wasn't he

Yeah, I've seen a lot of his films in the last couple of years. Even in piss like I Walk the Line he was great. Roman's Holiday and Twelve O'Clock High are both brilliant in very different ways.

I can't watch anything to do with the divvil. Genuinely not able for that kind of carry on, at all.
When The Exorcist was re-released in 1998, I sat in the seat with my hands underneath my button down Umbro tracksuit bottoms, gripping both sides of my boxers and wedgying myself with absolute nerve shredded terror, resulting in me standing up and walking out when she started ramming the effigy up her lad.

I walked into the Truman Show next door (where my mates' girlfriend was) for a bit of levity and mirth, but I couldn't get any scene from "You're all going to die up there" onwards out of my head.

When I got home, I sprinted up the stairs, afraid to pull my t-shirt over my head in case Captain Doody - or whatever the shite he was called - got me when I wasn't looking, so I tried to read an issue of Zzap 64 and put my Road Runner and Wile E Coyote video on and stayed awake with the lights on.

I was 18 years old.

11 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I tried to read an issue of Zzap 64 and put my Road Runner and Wile E Coyote video on and stayed awake with the lights on.

You were the other one who bought Zzap 64!

26 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I can't watch anything to do with the divvil. Genuinely not able for that kind of carry on, at all.
When The Exorcist was re-released in 1998, I sat in the seat with my hands underneath my button down Umbro tracksuit bottoms, gripping both sides of my boxers and wedgying myself with absolute nerve shredded terror, resulting in me standing up and walking out when she started ramming the effigy up her lad.

I walked into the Truman Show next door (where my mates' girlfriend was) for a bit of levity and mirth, but I couldn't get any scene from "You're all going to die up there" onwards out of my head.

When I got home, I sprinted up the stairs, afraid to pull my t-shirt over my head in case Captain Doody - or whatever the shite he was called - got me when I wasn't looking, so I tried to read an issue of Zzap 64 and put my Road Runner and Wile E Coyote video on and stayed awake with the lights on.

I was 18 years old.

Interesting. As an atheist since the age of about 10, the Satanic part of the Exorcist was never going to bother me at all, but when I watched the re-released version in '98, for the first time, it actually shat me up in the cinema. I think it was the combination of the soundtrack and the fact that something horrible was happening in that upstairs bedroom and I really didn't want to see what it was... there was just a creeping sense of dread that really freaked me out. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud

18 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

You were the other one who bought Zzap 64!

Nah that was me. Religiously.

I wrote to the Rowlands brothers/Apex via Phil King in Zzap 64 and the Rowlands sent me a Creatures 2 poster signed by Clyde Radcliffe.

It's one of those things that the whereabouts of which really, really annoys me as I know it's in my da's gaff somewhere and I'll look for it periodically along with the Millhouse Mixtape (Millhouse and Bart - Fart) I made on a double deck cassette player in 1994 by stopping, rewinding, recording/remixing a multitude of farts me and my mate made with a dictaphone throughout the course of a day.