DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Watched The Baytown Outlaws tonight. Might have been good if the director didn't try and make half of it a shitty arsed Tarantino knock-off.

God that's an awful movie. The action is a mess, dialogue that grates worse than nails on a chalk board and worst of all its dull as fuck. Definitely one of the top 10 most hated films in my Blu-ray collection.

• Paid Members

Everly - A complete piece of shit. Fuck grindhouse and grindhouse revival. I'll let the director off though because he did make Mayhem, and that was great, plus I'm excited by what he'll do with the Point Blank remake.

Mid90s - Just really, really bad. Nothing to do with the fact that I don't care about skateboards because it isn't really about that anyway. It's just an awful mish-mash of Harmony Korine / Larry Clark homage and Jonah Hill's own sense of humour. I don't mind Hill but never direct again, fuck.

Greta - Enjoyable psychological horror. Isabelle Huppert just as great as the nutter as you'd hope. Chloe Grace Moretz actually seems to be a good actor all of a sudden after this and The Miseducation of Cameron Post. Maika Monroe does some stretches. Good stuff.

• Paid Members

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Mid90s - Just really, really bad. Nothing to do with the fact that I don't care about skateboards because it isn't really about that anyway. It's just an awful mish-mash of Harmony Korine / Larry Clark homage and Jonah Hill's own sense of humour. I don't mind Hill but never direct again, fuck.

An uncomfortable volume of N-words thrown around in the film too, considering Hill wrote it. It's a film that struggled to be as interesting as it wanted to be.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it throws those words around and all manner of homophobia under the excuse "Well that's how we talked back then!" but presents no critique of that kind of language or behaviour at all. Still, at least it was short.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

1 hour 45, when you include trailers. Take note, Scorsese and fella that done Bone Tomahawk.

I also hated Hill's work on the older brother. That whole bit around the Super Nintendo controller was awful.

Yeah, Lucas Hedges is a great actor, he really got the shit end of the stick there.

• Paid Members

I think part of the problem for me is that I just don't think coming of age films about straight white boys have anything else to say. I was just so bored, and it just wasn't at all funny. I'm looking forward far more to Eighth Grade and Booksmart, which actually seem to have a new-ish perspective and something different to say.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

Actually going to get to go to the cinema this week. As luck would have it I've been dealt a shitty hand with what's showing at my local. Four fucking superhero films, two kids films, Red Joan and Pet Sematary. 

I think I'll have to opt for Pet Sematary. 😒

Sorry you went during Superhero season. After Endgame there is only one more scheduled this year in Spider-Man which isnt out until July,

TBF your cinema sounds shit. No Mid 90's, no Eight Grade?

8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Sorry you went during Superhero season. After Endgame there is only one more scheduled this year in Spider-Man which isnt out until July,

TBF your cinema sounds shit. No Mid 90's, no Eight Grade?

Nope, neither of those are showing. We actually have two cinemas here, both showing utter shite. 

Dragged Across Concrete was my preference, but the last showing is tomorrow. Can't get to the cinema until Friday though.