Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

220px-Blood_Rage_FilmPoster.jpeg

"A man goes on a killing spree after learning that his twin brother (who he framed for murder years earlier when they were kids) has escaped from the mental hospital and is heading home to set confront him and set things right."

"It isn't cranberry sauce"

An interesting premise with pretty gory effects. It's a film of its time and you know what you're going to be getting with the acting with a film of this nature. But of course you can look past that and enjoy it for what it is. I do love the idea of a demented kid killing someone and then pinning the whole thing on his twin brother who just happened to be there at the time. A good time is sure to be had and is something to sit back and enjoy.

1 hour ago, zep81 said:

220px-Blood_Rage_FilmPoster.jpeg

Love this movie. The Arrow Blu-ray is superb. Slasher movies make me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Watched The Warriors last night. First time I'd seen the Theatrical cut since I was about 12. Still holds up. Walter Hill is ace.

(Well he would be if he weren't responsible for the directors cut)

For those like me that didn't get the TC before the DVD went out of print 15 years ago, it's on Amazon Prime Instant.

Captain Marvel

Kicks a little too hard on the 90s nostalgia tyres at points, but the soundtrack has Garbage and No Doubt on so it's not all bad members.

I know it's a common complaint, but there's some truly jarring CGI especially in the latter third.

Apart from that though I thought it was thoroughly decent and I wonder what the kicking ratio it's getting is man babies:DC astroturfers.

Existence of credit scenes:

Mid-credit contains story. 

End-credit is a missable gag if you're on the meter or need a piss.

Edited by johnnyboy

Lords Of Chaos.

Hilarious in places.  As someone who is about the same age as the main players in the Norwegian black metal scene, I remember it all as it happened.  It reminded me what a bunch of fucking dweebs and blowhards black metal attracts.  You just know they'd be Incels if they were about today.  444 burnt churches out of 666

Sicario 

Never has a man with such a pathetically patchy beard as Del Toro’s come across as such a bad ass. 

Some absolutely gorgeous shots in it too. 

Isn't it Romantic

Not even joking about how much I loved this.  Turns out it was a theatrical release in the US, but Netflix elsewhere.  Pokes fun at romcoms, whilst essentially being a standard romcom.  Absolutely perfect for an exhausted Saturday evening chuckle along.

Also, Rebel Wilson in a Pretty Woman dress means that it's above and beyond all conventional rating systems.

Border is a treat. Absolutely mental, in parts, but an interesting watch all the same. It's uncomfortable to watch in a number of scenes.

The supposed twist was pretty obvious, I thought. Given that I read the twist is a surprising one, I thought they were just being super obvious with her man, but nope there he is trying to ruin perfectly good babies.

Also, that sex scene is brilliantly bad.

MV5BMTg2NzI4NjY1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjUx

So, the movie does what it says on the tin. Well poster. Hitler is killed and so is Bigfoot. But when you name a movie like that, a normal rule would be one to expect something a bit more outlandish or cult like than what we actually get. You could take both Hitler and Bigfoot out of the equation and the movie wouldn't lose much. Sam Elliott is p.good in the lead role but the movie is a rather plodding melodrama and I struggled to keep interest. Shame. Others may feel different, but I was just disappointed.

Captain Marvel was a big letdown for me. I've really liked the Marvel films from the last couple of years and had huge expectations for this, and it was just alright. Plot was convoluted, and I wasn't impressed by Brie Larsson or Jude Law. Or Benning. Samuel L Jackson was alright. Lee Pace was a letdown as well. The equivalents of Korg and Baby Groot were the highlight, so I'd recommend it for them if nothing else.

On 3/10/2019 at 10:21 AM, ColinBollocks said:

Border is a treat. Absolutely mental, in parts, but an interesting watch all the same. It's uncomfortable to watch in a number of scenes.

Reveal hidden contents

The supposed twist was pretty obvious, I thought. Given that I read the twist is a surprising one, I thought they were just being super obvious with her man, but nope there he is trying to ruin perfectly good babies.

Also, that sex scene is brilliantly bad.

I'm going to see this on Thursday, as long as they don't cancel it again. Going to double-bill it with The Kindergarten Teacher. Very excited, like the massive arthouse film ponce I am.

16 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Captain Marvel was a big letdown for me. I've really liked the Marvel films from the last couple of years and had huge expectations for this, and it was just alright. Plot was convoluted, and I wasn't impressed by Brie Larsson or Jude Law. Or Benning. Samuel L Jackson was alright. Lee Pace was a letdown as well. The equivalents of Korg and Baby Groot were the highlight, so I'd recommend it for them if nothing else.

See, maybe it was my low expectations, but I enjoyed. SLJ was great, the effects worked brilliantly in the de-aging. I like Brie Larson as an actress, and I thought she did a great job in this. She does seem like a tit in real life, and I wouldn't be surprised if she gets Norton-ed though as apparently Bob Igor is not a fan, but I found the film to be pretty fun. Middle tier in the MCU.

10 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

She does seem like a tit in real life

Explain.

Brie Larson is the greatest person walking the earth and I will fucking fight you anywhere in Essex if you say a bad word about her. 

14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Explain.

She has been promoting Go Fund Me's where people were trying to raise money to take under-privillage kids to see Captain Marvel. She was asking her twitter followers to fund various campaigns (there were quite a few). Twitterverse saw this as a way of boosting ticket sales rather then actually trying to improve people in a poor living situation. It came across as a bit Bono-ey. I personally think the best PR would of actually to pay to these campaigns (most were looking to raise less then $10k) herself or through Marvel. But she seems to have a lot of SJW taking a lot of her comments out of context so who knows. Apparently according to some she hates white men, which I have no reason to read anything into because clearly garbage.

I find the fact that they are already talking of replacing her after Endgame more interesting. To get Bob Igor to consider replacing you means there has to be something else going on one would wonder. But I thought she was amazing in Room and under used in Kong Skull Island, so I am glad she was so good in this role.

4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

She has been promoting Go Fund Me's where people were trying to raise money to take under-privillage kids to see Captain Marvel. She was asking her twitter followers to fund various campaigns (there were quite a few). Twitterverse saw this as a way of boosting ticket sales rather then actually trying to improve people in a poor living situation.

God, what a cunt she is, what did I ever see in her.