DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Going to see Endgame tomorrow afternoon (stuff the midnight malarkey, I don't want to write off the morning) so I've just sat through Infinity War in UHD. I swear it looked better on disc than it did in the cinema.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, seph said:

Going to see Endgame tomorrow afternoon (stuff the midnight malarkey, I don't want to write off the morning) so I've just sat through Infinity War in UHD. I swear it looked better on disc than it did in the cinema.

Probably. Most chains now use automatic calibration and often don’t check brightness levels and the like or change projector bulbs when they should. 3D films look much better on my 6 year old 1080p Panasonic then they do at the cinema (though not IMAX)

• Paid Members

Watched a film called Mine tonight which was about 90 minutes of Armie Hammer stood on, yes, a mine. Exactly as shit as it sounds.

Things We Lost in the Fire is a really good film though. I bloody love Benicio del Toro. He's one of the few genuinely and naturally unsettling actors around these days, you just never know what he's going to do or say from one scene to the next.

• Paid Members

So, Dragged Across Concrete!

I had my problems with it and it's far from perfect. It has a weird political tone to it at times (no matter how much Zahler may deny it) that added nothing to it.

But it's also a great crime film. In terms of slow build and plunging us into a storyline where you're not sure what will happen, it's as good as anything made in the last 20 years. It's got a brilliantly downbeat feel to it that reminded me of The Friends of Eddie Coyle.

Zahler is a fascinating filmmaker, genuinely challenging and flawed, and now one of the best around. This was his best yet.

Zahler is a fascinating filmmaker, genuinely challenging and flawed, and now one of the best around

Agreed. Incredibly interesting and I've liked every film he's done so far. It reminds me a bit of Yorgos Lanthimos' career trajectory, with the interesting films building and building.

On 4/24/2019 at 5:10 PM, SuperBacon said:

Rewatched Twins. Still a good quality film, and the leads had great chemistry. Thankful they never made that long mooted Triplets though.

I went to one of those Schwarzenegger “evenings with” a couple of years back and he’s still adamant that not only is Triplets going ahead but the script is written and they’re ready to start filming. Hopefully it doesn’t happen, Twins is a great fun standalone film that just doesn’t need a sequel.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I went to one of those Schwarzenegger “evenings with” a couple of years back and he’s still adamant that not only is Triplets going ahead but the script is written and they’re ready to start filming. Hopefully it doesn’t happen, Twins is a great fun standalone film that just doesn’t need a sequel.

It's not going to harm the original though, is it.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's not going to harm the original though, is it.

I bloody hate that view people have about remakes/sequels. Of course it isn’t. A remake of sequel doesn’t create an alternative timeline. I get why people didn’t like the last Ghostbusters film, but those saying well that’s ruined the originals are just twats.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And to further that point, I love the way some people think that remakes are a relatively new thing.

I knew the latest was a remake, but was surprised that A Star is Born has been remade 5 times already!