Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Spent a good 15 minutes flicking through Netflix last night before me and the missus settled on an old favourite of ours; The Mummy.

Yes, the Brendan Fraser CLASSIC (and I'll hear no words stating the contrary) still packs a joyful punch. It's so delightfully fun and everyone involved looks like they're having the best time making it.

Fraser was one of my fave actors in the late 90's/early 00's, and this film (and the incredibly underrated stone cold comedy classic George Of The Jungle) cemented that position. 

The one-liners come quick and fast, the set-pieces are marvelous, the characters bounce off each other like an episode of RAW from 2000, and there's loads of little details that really add to the richness to the film.

Yes, some of the exposition is rather clunky and it meanders slightly in the middle, but it's all quickly swept under the carpet by the time another brilliant bit of character work comes in. It's almost like the cast and crew set out to make the best film possible, with everyone chucking in ideas to make each scene memorable.

Have you seen Fraser lately? He showed up in the tremendous TV series The Affair that only I watch, playing a prison guard. I didn't recognise him until I imdb'd it. His performance in The Affair is top notch, bloody brilliant acting, going from sinister to avuncular without a noticeable gear change. I would gladly butter his parsnips.

evlovwxgdfjdiwcq5ipw.jpg

Edited by Brewster McCloud

I saw 'Leave No Trace' last night. Didn't really know what to expect but have heard it got some great reviews. It's definitely one of the films that keeps you watching as its focused on two characters and their journey so to speak, very well acted. 

Possible spoiler below

I was expecting some plot twist during the film or towards the end but credit where its due there is no real plot twist in this.

Edited by Briefcase

27 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Spent a good 15 minutes flicking through Netflix last night before me and the missus settled on an old favourite of ours; The Mummy.

Yeah, I think it's pretty under-appreciated, it's one of the better action-adventures of the 90s. Shame the Tom Cruise one didn't take more of a leaf out of its book.

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

With the information you have to go on in just Alien, it appears an oversize human race crashed on LV-426. It became (or already was) impregnated by the xenomorph, and the resulting eggs waited in hibernation until the Nostromo appears. It followed the foreign language distress call started by presumably Space Jockey's race.

There's more detail on this in Prometheus*, but it's a bit 'midichlorians' retcon. Stick with whatever story makes sense in your head.

Oh and while the film is fresh in your mind, I recommend taking in the famous Cocoon deleted scene.

*Yes, I know it's not the same planet. The idea is the same.

Thank you. The oversized human race is what I was questioning really, but that makes sense. I heard it was featured in Prometheus but that clears it up a bit, thank you.

55 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Alien 3 isn't all that bad, really, is it?

No, not at all. I mean it is vastly different. I think the whole series is unusal as the style changes a fair bit. But I saw this one first as a scared 10 year old on video. I remember the advert for Alien War on it which has always facinated me as an attraction (which still gets brought back ocassionly on a smaller scale)

The problem with 3 is its start and killing off (OFF SCREEN) a character who was basically the entire heart of the second film. Its such a stupid thing to do.

But 3 has a lot going for it and is enjoyable to watch.

There's currently a comic book adaptation of William Gibson's unfilmed script for Alien 3. Haven't read it yet, but it sounds interesting. It's currently at #4 of 5, so I'm waiting for it to finish before picking it up.

1 hour ago, Factotum said:

The problem with 3 is its start and killing off (OFF SCREEN) a character who was basically the entire heart of the second film. Its such a stupid thing to do.

But 3 has a lot going for it and is enjoyable to watch.

I have the directors cut, but not seen it. I wonder if that adds to that story at all?

Got round to watching Lords of Chaos today. I really enjoyed it, and it’s accessible enough for people who are not completely familiar with the Black Metal scene. As @SuperBacon mentioned in their post a couple of days, it is very graphic in places, and even I was wincing at parts of the violence, which is a rarity for me. I put that down mainly to knowing that it is based on true events rather than being completely fiction.

And as @Merzbow mentioned, it doesn’t glamourise anybody in the slightest, and in fact shows them being a set of complete idiots at times. There’s a scene of Varg Vikernes meeting with someone from the press, and he quickly exposes himself as being a right dolt. 

Theres a whole bunch of other stuff they could have had in, such as the controversy around the release of Mayhem’s first album  and Hellhammer proving himself to be a complete cretin, but that could just as easy be a ‘What Happened Next’ extra on the DVD, and at 1hr57 it tells the story that needs to be told.

Rory Culkin is very good as Euronymous, and Emory Cohen’s Varg is good for the most-part, but does have a laugh similar to The Joker from the 60s Batman.

Well worth a watch, even if a little grim in places

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Free Solo is repeated on National Geographic a few times this week. I am recording it tomorrow

I realise no-one actually cares when I am recording it, I meant it as an example of when it's on. I hit send and immediately thought that sounded douchy.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Had a Nixon trilogy of films I'd never seen over the past week.

Started with The Post, which has Tom Hanks on Maximum Hanks. Spielberg rattles through this tense period of journalistic integrity, with some surprisingly pleasing shots of presses spitting out newspapers. 

I couldn't quite remember the plot of the film before we started watching that (Spielberg + Hanks is enough for me), and realised we didn't know much about Tricky Dicky beyond Futurama. We couldn't adequately explain why Watergate was so bad off the top of our heads. So Mrs Onyx and I decided to watch more Nixon-flavoured films. We contemplated the Hopkins Nixon but reviews said it was quite boring and didn't explain much. So we set off into Oscar-winning All The President's Men. Redford, Hoffman, fucking great.

Except it was so boring. Just endless shots of men on the phone, with little help to explain why this particular phone call was so important. I gave up with it after an hour, completely unsure what was going on. I feel bad - I have no problem with glacially-slow plots, and adore Robert Redford - but it just plodded from scene to scene without a strong narrative. 

On to Frost/Nixon and this is fucking terrific. Creates brilliant tension over a silly interview, and he's been absent from films for so long I'd forgotten just how amazingly charismatic Michael Sheen is. A compelling presence, and Frank Langella makes the incredible feat of creating sympathy for Nixon by the end. 

Any other Nixony films worth a spin? I'm eyeing up Neeson vehicle Mark Felt next. 

31 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

So we set off into Oscar-winning All The President's Men. Redford, Hoffman, fucking great.

Except it was so boring. Just endless shots of men on the phone, with little help to explain why this particular phone call was so important. I gave up with it after an hour, completely unsure what was going on. I feel bad - I have no problem with glacially-slow plots, and adore Robert Redford - but it just plodded from scene to scene without a strong narrative.

This is the worst thing ever posted on this forum.

58 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

This is the worst thing ever posted on this forum.

I felt really bad, if it helps.