DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I know a lot of you like a monster movie or two, and Into the Grizzly Maze isn't a bad one at all. Good cast, too, for what it is. Well worth a watch.

Also rewatched Overlord last night. Still really, really good. Put Wyatt Russell in everything etc.

• Paid Members

Going to see that and Mid-90s on Tuesday, should be a cracking double-bill.

Went to see The Goonies today, I don't often get the chance to see these restorations. Great to see it on a big screen for my 166th viewing.

Also watched Berlin Syndrome, superb psychological thriller. Teresa Palmer's as talented as she is absolutely lovely. It's on Netflix, well worth sticking on.

• Paid Members

If anyone is wondering whether to see Dragged across concrete, the new racially charged cop thriller with Mel Gibson it's not bad at all and Mel and Vince Vaughn work well as a pair. Once you get past the unsubtle dialogue to show that Mel is a MAGA type it turns into a pretty cool thriller. A word of warning though it's like 3 HOURS LONG, was not expecting that, be prepared for a slow burner.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

The Curse of La Llorona

Set in The Conjuring-verse

And I'm out.

I'm fortunate with Dragged Across Concrete, there's one showing locally at 11am on Thursday so I'll just about catch it. Think it will be the longest film I've seen at the cinema since the second Lord of the Rings film.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Doctor Strange - Fucking awful 

We gave that ago after enjoying Ant Man over Christmas, which we weren't expecting to.

I thought it was ok, I'd leave it on in the background and seen it through while I finished my crossword but wouldn't have watched it again. My mom switched it off and put something else on while I nipped in the kitchen for a choc-ice, branding it much the way you have.

There were attempts at being funny which fell short and Strange never seemed remotely redeeming as a character.

• Paid Members

I loved Doctor Strange, thought it was a very good start to the character. However, I think John Hamm would've been a better Strange, and I hope, once the Infinity War arc draws to a close, that the sequel (if there is one) goes more into the arcane and occult. I was a big fan of the original Strange Tales comics, which were for the vast majority in that vein.

• Awards Moderator

Too much superhero in this thread. 

I was quite enjoying Mary Poppins Returns (completely ambivalent to the original), until I was hit by an O'Dowd grenade. Properly soured it. 

• Paid Members

I was going to see Dragged Across Concrete tonight, but looked up the run time and decided against it realising that's nearly 3 hours when you include trailers.

I still have horrible memories of watching Silence at the cinema, which has a similar run time. Never again.