Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

6 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I'll look for it periodically along with the Millhouse Mixtape (Millhouse and Bart - Fart) I made on a double deck cassette player in 1994 by stopping, rewinding, recording/remixing a multitude of farts me and my mate made with a dictaphone throughout the course of a day.

I'm sure I speak for most on the UKFF when I say that I urge you to look harder for this tape.

3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

A big chunk of The Omen's more disturbing scenes happen during the day too. Still one of the scariest horror films for me. The enemy that you can't see, can't fight, and can't escape.

You say that, but the scene with the dogs was one of the most scary bits

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You say that, but the scene with the dogs was one of the most scary bits

It was terrifying, no doubt at all about that, but I found the "accidents" prophesied by the photographs to be the most harrowing bits.

There's something about religious horror that I find instils a much more visceral horror, the kind that goes right through to the core. Even though I'm an atheist now, I was raised religious, and there's a sense of something monolithic, for want of a better word, as regards religious mythos, probably because we're conditioned to understand it as a commentary on the very basis of existence. When God and Satan are involved, the story is that there's nowhere to go to get away from it, because their presences cast a shadow over the entirety of creation, and you're always under their gaze. Chills me right to the bone.

Crash magazine 4 life biatches.

Anyhoo, I remember just before The Omen came out the stories in the sunday papers about the film being cursed.  All the tales of spooky goings on scared me more than the film did,

Pfft CVG FOR LIFE!

i saw the Alien re-release. Had seen Aliens and Alien 3 but never the original. It’s good but not the classic it’s heralded as. The effects are bloody awful as well

Can we ban Hannibal from the thread please? This is a disgraceful opinion. 

Alien is a masterclass in tension, body horror and inescapable terror. And it has Harry Dean Stanton in it! 

Can't believe special effects in a film made 40 years ago don't look as good as they used to.

Alien still looks far better than films half its age. The Mother set is a product of its time but the model work and set design are beautiful. 

It's an industrial-looking sci-fi film, part of the point of it was to be a departure from the glossy sci-fi films you had generally seen made for decades. Effects aren't a big part of it anyway aside from one or two scenes.

Alien is a masterpiece. I'm shocked anyone could think any different.

Watched Grabbers again last night. Fun little monster movie about alien bloodsuckers invading a small Irish island. Watching it on my projector I was impressed with the CGI considering it probably didn't have a butt load of budget. Holds up well.

Yeah, Grabbers is a cracking little film. Love a monster movie and it deserves to be talked about more.

I will concour that Alien is great for tension. Though it would have been even better if the teenage twat sat next to me wouldn’t get her camera app on her phone out and get ready to take a picture every time an Alien was about to appear.

also the film itself had that 60/70’s look of a spaceship to it and those sets and the film still looked good in this restoration. It was most of the Alien effects that looked off. I think the Aliens in Aliens were better done. But I’m talking about a horror compared to an action film.

i will also say it was shot beautifully. Early Ridley Scott work is great visually (Blade Runner I still think is a visual masterpiece, possibly his finest in that regard). And I thought the casting was great.

also can anyone explain the Space Jockey to me? Again, beautiful to look at, but the size of it confused me.

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

also can anyone explain the Space Jockey to me? Again, beautiful to look at, but the size of it confused me.

With the information you have to go on in just Alien, it appears an oversize human race crashed on LV-426. It became (or already was) impregnated by the xenomorph, and the resulting eggs waited in hibernation until the Nostromo appears. It followed the foreign language distress call started by presumably Space Jockey's race.

There's more detail on this in Prometheus*, but it's a bit 'midichlorians' retcon. Stick with whatever story makes sense in your head.

Oh and while the film is fresh in your mind, I recommend taking in the famous Cocoon deleted scene.

*Yes, I know it's not the same planet. The idea is the same.

Edited by Onyx2

Watched Buffalo Bill and the Indians (not one of Robert Altman's best, but still pretty good) last night. Wonder if Paul Newman had hair extensions like the real Buffalo Bill did. Either way, looks magnificent!

Image result for buffalo bill and the indians, or sitting bull's history lesson