DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I quite liked Mile 22, saw it at the cinema. It does underuse Uwais but he's still the best thing in it. It's a good actioner, Peter Berg usually comes up with the goods.

• Paid Members

D-Mal knows.

I'm a huge Peter Berg fan. To me, he's never made a shite movie. He's kind of a Tony Scott-lite with a bit of a cheeky side. Also, Very Bad Things is one of the funniest movies of the last two decades, and my pots were put away in the press during the last third of Deepwater Horizon.

And once again, he gave us this:

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Pet Sematary

As I'm one of the 8 people my age who've never seen the original I had no frame of reference.  I thought that it was suitably creepy and had some wincey gore in there too.

Dumbo

Tim Burton gets Disney to pay for him to make a movie taking the piss out of Disney.  You have to respect that.  I quite enjoyed it and got a huge kick out of a couple of moments...

Massive moment spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Buffer cameo:

LET'S GET READY FOR DUMBO

(I am not even joking)

That was the only bit I thought was awful about Dumbo. Proper took me out of it. Though I thought what followed

the drunk elephant balloons

was just as bad. Otherwise I enjoyed it a lot. His best film in a long time.

• Paid Members

I also saw Dumbo,

I'd go as far as to say I liked it but it's entirely due to Dumbo himself, he was as cute as anything I'd ever seen in a film, even more adorable than the recent Paddington or Lara Croft. The scene where he flies properly for the first time was so great and the build up so intense that I was almost welling up when it finally happened. 

Everything else was average though, Tim Burton has lost it, the film was about a circus, directed by Tim so I expected a bit of a visual treat but it was just a bit murky looking, bleak and in general lacked spark. It was surprisingly small scale as well, almost entirely taking place in dark circus tents and cages. Colin Farrell was terrible, Michael Keaton was ok but I was hoping for a lot more, his character was proper generic. Still cool seeing a Batman Returns reunion, Danny DeVito was good.

The last bit with Dumbo going home was on another level of heart warming, enough to leave me with a generally positive feeling about a film that was well average

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I also saw Dumbo,

I'd go as far as to say I liked it but it's entirely due to Dumbo himself, he was as cute as anything I'd ever seen in a film, even more adorable than the recent Paddington or Lara Croft. The scene where he flies properly for the first time was so great and the build up so intense that I was almost welling up when it finally happened. 

Everything else was average though, Tim Burton has lost it, the film was about a circus, directed by Tim so I expected a bit of a visual treat but it was just a bit murky looking, bleak and in general lacked spark. It was surprisingly small scale as well, almost entirely taking place in dark circus tents and cages. Colin Farrell was terrible, Michael Keaton was ok but I was hoping for a lot more, his character was proper generic. Still cool seeing a Batman Returns reunion, Danny DeVito was good.

Reveal hidden contents

The last bit with Dumbo going home was on another level of heart warming, enough to leave me with a generally positive feeling about a film that was well average

Yeah, I came out really enjoying it, but it is very flawed and arguibly slighlty too long as well. When it's good, it's great. Watching it in 3D was awful. Firsty due to the dark, murky visuals and also there was a lot of ghosting. It's better then most of their live action fare though (Beauty and The Beast and Jungle Book are still my favourites).

• Paid Members

Being Frank was absolutely great. It was good to see it concentrate a good chunk on Chris Sievey's pre-Frank Sidebottom career because that was a story in itself. Some great talking heads (could have done with more John Cooper Clarke though) and some amazing archive footage. I'll bet there was so much stuff Steve Sullivan didn't use that he could probably have made a full series out of.

Hearts Beat Loud

This was utterly adorable. I can’t remember the last time I watched a film that had so much charm.

Nick Offerman, plays a blinder, and Toni Collette and Ted Hanson are their usual great selves, Sasha Lane follows up her excellent performance in Miseducation Of Cameron Post with another, but the star is Kiersey Clemons. She’s just wonderful. 

It is a tiny bit twee in its “indie ness” but I loved it so much. 

On 4/2/2019 at 3:34 PM, Scott Malbranque said:

D-Mal knows.

I'm a huge Peter Berg fan. To me, he's never made a shite movie. He's kind of a Tony Scott-lite with a bit of a cheeky side.

Interesting - I've never really noticed him as a director, but now I look him up, Deepwater Horizon and Lone Survivor were both very good actioneers,  so I will check out some of his other stuff.  He was also Billy in Chicago Hope, which is fucking weird.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Escape Room I'm not sure. I mean, I enjoyed it and was quite nervy at points but every character was an absolute shitebag so it was hard to worry about the cunts...except Deborah Ann Wolls character.

And the ending was muck. 

Agree with all of this. She was really good in this and deserves a lot better. The ending is one of the worst I've ever seen.

I quite enjoyed escape room, at least for the first few stages. The tension of the countdown was great. Think it lost it when it started to reveal the machinations behind the whole thing. I’ve already forgotten them. I don’t really remember the ending, either.

was it the same ending as Belko Experiment?

A_Prayer_Before_Dawn_(film).png

"The amazing true story of Billy Moore, an English boxer incarcerated in Thailand's most notorious prison. Thrown into a world of drugs and violence, he finds his best chance to escape is to fight his way out in Muay Thai tournaments"

This was some compelling stuff. Joe Cole was superb in the lead role and it was a tense, brutal look at his l8fe inside a Bangkok prison and how he literally fought his way out.