DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Avengers Endgame (Yes I know there's a thread but this has no spoilers or anything)

In 1992, I went to the Donington Monsters Of Rock festival.  There were six bands on the bill, I loved three of them and liked two of them.  And there was Thunder.  I never liked Thunder, mainly because they were shit and dull, but they had their fans.  WASP and Slayer were on before them and they were two of the bands I loved, so after their set I left my spot near the front of the stage because Thunder were up next and I knew a lot of people would like my spot so I went for a piss and a stroll around the site.

I could hear Thunder playing as I walked around and bumped into people I knew, this was before mobile phones so any meetings were by chance.  Thunder didn't miss a beat or hit a wrong note, they saved their more well known songs for the end of the set and their fans lapped it up.  I thought they were boring and shit but could understand why their fans and Kerrang writers would love their set.  However, they are still one of the worst bands I've seen live.

• Paid Members
On 4/30/2019 at 10:19 PM, Merzbow said:

Speaking of Chloe Moretz I saw The Miseducation of Cameron Post, she was great and I feel like this could be a pretty important film for young gay teens in America for years to come.

It's a really good film, although I keep remembering the name as Cameron Poe and that would be a much different film.

Went to see A Dog's Journey. Didn't realise it was a sequel and I won't be fucking watching the prequel after this. Just absolutely miserable in every way.

• Paid Members

His films maybe shit these days, but Adam Sandler was amazing on SNL the other night. The fact he gets his mates jobs regardless of their ability tends to be a criticism thrown at him, but seeing him still putting his boy over all these days later on SNL is so touching.

Has Nic ever played a gay character..?

I've watched a couple of new sci-fi's, The Wandering Earth and Prospect.

The former being a massive budget galactic scale, dumb piece of entertaining shit from China, it's one I wished I saw on the big screen even if a lot of the CGI makes it look like a video game.

Now Prospect is tiny in scope but far more aesthetically pleasing, not too dissimilar to Annihilation but with a broken, low-tech style to all the space equipment. It plays out more like a western than anything, being about prospecting and all.

• Paid Members

The Voices is pretty good. Enjoyed seeing Ryan Reynolds doing a lower budget role like this, and he's really good in it and should do more stuff like this. But The Hitman's Bodyguard 2 first though. Priorities.

Venom.

Silly but had a different feel to other spandex films, probably because of Tom Hardy and Michelle Williams.  Made all the funnier by Venoms voice, I guess Tom Hardy's inspiration for it was Moose the dog from those check your credit score adverts.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Voices is pretty good. Enjoyed seeing Ryan Reynolds doing a lower budget role like this, and he's really good in it and should do more stuff like this. But The Hitman's Bodyguard 2 first though. Priorities.

That film is happening! It’s called The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard or something along those lines.

(unless you knew that, and that was the joke, in which case, whoosh and apologies)

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

That film is happening! It’s called The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard or something along those lines.

(unless you knew that, and that was the joke, in which case, whoosh and apologies)

I did know but I just want him to concentrate on that before anything else unless it's Deadpool 3 in which case he can piss off.

• Paid Members

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile

(Some spoilers ahead...)

Way too much effort was put into making Zac Efron's Ted Bundy a likable, kind- hearted, anti-authoritative, rockstar babyface. This would've been fine had they put more effort into showing he was actually a despicable, heartless, twisted, extremely wicked, shockingly evil and vile person. But the film doesn't do that; it pushes the 'Ted is innocent' narrative right until the final two minutes.

The film is 95% "That Ted's a good lad, isn't he?" and 5% "Christ, he's a mass murdering psychopath!" and even then that 5% isn't emphasized enough, and most of the reveal comes AFTER the end credits.

The film actively wants you to root for Ted, and the courtroom dramatics has all the cards stacked against him like he's a valiant underdog. He's trying to break out jail, he's on the run, he's a dedicated family man, he's a sex God, he's a smart and witty dude. He's Zac Efron, for fucks sake.

I get that a 'reveal' like this ("Oh my God, he is the murderer!") takes some time to get to, in order to lull the viewer into a false sense of security, but it's like watching Titanic and knowing that at some point the boat will crash and most of the folk perish. 

This could've worked if more time was given to the supporting cast and the effects/after-effects of Ted's actions. It could've worked if more time was spent undoing the positive image of Ted that the film had portrayed. The reveal, while pretty good in all fairness, isn't as effective as it needs to be. 

As a matter of fact, if the film wasn't about Ted but rather about some fictional bloke who is being done for murders that he swears he didn't commit, it would be a really enjoyable piece of work. The film sticks to it's "Ted is innocent!" narrative right the way through. But because you all ready know the outcome, the film's success relies heavily on the journey rather than the destination, and it just isn't good or strong enough to hang it's hat on. 

I guess sensitizing IRL serial killers isn't my bag.