DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Anaconda is another belter. Congo was on the other night and the good lady asked if the sign language gorilla was real.

Your missus and me own should get together for a drink. 

I'll never, ever forget the time when we went to see The Martian in the flicks and this is what transpired on the way out to the car

Missus "That was really good, wasn't it?"

Me "Ah it was grand. Nothing great, now." 

Missus "How can you say that?? After all that man went through?!? You went mad at me when I said that film with your man and the blowy thing (she meant Miles Ahead) was shite and you think The Martian wasnt great?? Is he still alive after all that? "

Me" Is who still alive?? “

Missus "Jason Bourne. Your man who Jason Bourne was playing. The fella who got stuck on Mars?" 

Hadn't the words. 

• Paid Members

Just seen Dumbo. Other then the awful 3D conversion, Colin Farrell’s interesting nickname for Dumbo and a very strange cameo, I enjoyed it. It reimagined the animated film in an interesting way and was a lot of fun. Plus Dumbo was adorable.

its no Paddington, but as family films go, seen a lot worse

Still not got round to The Dirt, but I did read the book about 4 or 5 years ago. It’s full of stuff that you heard about but is expanded on, while other parts you can tell are completely made up for the sake of the image and Nikki Sixx often can’t recall periods from the band’s peak, yet a completely arbitrary time he took a shit-tonne of drugs he can remember in intricate detail. Much like that, I can imagine that the film is as true as you want to believe it to be,  it I’m still looking forward to watching it.

Its no Paul Stanley book that’s for sure

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I watched The Highwaymen last night. It started off alright but fizzled out towards the end. It was an interesting perspective on the Bonnie And Clyde story and i enjoyed it for the most part. I kind of wish they embellished a bit more and had a full on cat and mouse tale in the style of The Untouchables. This felt a little monotone in checking off the main story beats. 

• Paid Members

Like Interstellar, Gattaca and Europa Report, I enjoyed the Martian much more on 2nd viewing and thereafter. 

I think The Martian is incredible now and I also - after reading the Science of Interstellar book and watching the movie at least 12 times - think Interstellar is a masterpiece and I well up at fairly regular intervals during it. 

But I also cry at the end of Terminator 2.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

But I also cry at the end of Terminator 2.

As do we all.

Watched Train To Busan last night. I'm pretty over the whole zombie thing these days but thought this was excellent. In terms of excitement and tension it's unlikely we'll get another zombie film as good as this one. I feel like we can stop making zombie films now.

• Paid Members

The Night Eats the World, The Cured and The Girl With All the Gifts are three recent zombie films that have all been really good too, but all with a slightly different take on the genre. There's been some life (pun intended) in zombie films lately but it won't last.

I believe One Cut of the Dead is supposed to be great too but I haven't caught it yet.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Night Eats the World, The Cured and The Girl With All the Gifts are three recent zombie films that have all been really good too, but all with a slightly different take on the genre. There's been some life (pun intended) in zombie films lately but it won't last.

You can add One Cut of the Dead to that list. Fantastic and original take on the zombie genre. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Twatters said:

You can add One Cut of the Dead to that list. Fantastic and original take on the zombie genre. 

I actually did just before you posted that. Really looking forward to it.

• Paid Members

So every year on Letterboxd, a friend of mine hosts a challenge where people have to try and watch 30 films from 30 different countries in March. It's always a great way of catching a bunch of films I might not have seen or even heard of otherwise and this year was no different. Discovered a few fantastic films through it and I gave it a bit of an extra challenge by making them all crime or thriller films. Here was my list:-

https://letterboxd.com/settingsun/list/the-world-is-more-than-enough-7-stealing/

Everything down to 23 (Accused) is worth seeing. But the top film, Bad Genius, was only one I found out about a few days ago. I can well see a lot of people round here really enjoying it. Dogman was fantastic as well and I was really pleased to catch Everybody Knows and Border at the cinema. I found all the rest of these online relatively easily, if you're interested in looking for any of them yourself.

The Miseducation Of Cameron Post

Superb. I actually don’t think I’ve ever seen Chloe Moretz give a bad performance, and she’s so understated here and it really works, although Sasha Lane steals the film. One to watch out for. 

The rarest of things when it finished, I actually wish it had been slightly longer. Which never happens. Great stuff.