DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator
10 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I was going to let you know that Cineworld seem to be showing it again next week. 

Just one other couple in the 10am screening. It had subtitles, but I'll take what I can get at this rate. 

• Paid Members

Just watched Burning which, although good, seems way off the universal praise it's been given. It's a mystery film with unnecessary added parts, but very good when being the former.

On 3/27/2019 at 12:47 AM, SuperBacon said:

The Mummy

Fucking HELL. Why I have never seen this before, I will never ever know. This was a superb romp, just really delightful. Despite being distracted by Rachel Weisz's eyebrows in the first 10 minutes (until they clearly watched the dailies and someone had a word), this was relentless fun throughout. Fraser is excellent, Weisz is great, Hannah's great, they're all great. Maybe if I watch all of these over the years, I'll never have to watch Indiana Jones and the Crystal Bollocks ever again.

Mental that I've spent the last 20 years thinking Billy Zane played The Mummy though. Can't wait to watch the other two, but may not bother with The Scorpion King.

A really great film.  The second one is good fun as well, I'd skip anything after that.

Stephen Sommers was a great director back in the 90s.  If you enjoyed The Mummy, you should track down Deep Rising, another cracking monster B-movie.  

• Paid Members

As @zep81 is on a bit of a kung fu tip recently, I heartily recommend the 1992 Hong Kong film also titled The Scorpion King. A load of silly fun, great action.

8 hours ago, Loki said:

A really great film.  The second one is good fun as well, I'd skip anything after that.

Stephen Sommers was a great director back in the 90s.  If you enjoyed The Mummy, you should track down Deep Rising, another cracking monster B-movie.  

Deep Rising is cracking. I was racking my brain trying to remember it's name the other day because someone had mentioned the shite Ghost Ship. There was a bit of a monster movie renaissance in the 90's.

8 hours ago, Carbomb said:

As @zep81 is on a bit of a kung fu tip recently, I heartily recommend the 1992 Hong Kong film also titled The Scorpion King. A load of silly fun, great action.

Thanks for that. Another one that seemingly hasn't had a proper release by the looks of it. I'd really like two Yuen Baio movies too; Dreadnaught and Righting Wrongs. Dreadnaught had a HKL dvd but it's very OOP now.

4 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Deep Rising is cracking. I was racking my brain trying to remember it's name the other day because someone had mentioned the shite Ghost Ship. There was a bit of a monster movie renaissance in the 90's.

Lake Placid And The Relic also come to mind.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, zep81 said:

Thanks for that. Another one that seemingly hasn't had a proper release by the looks of it. I'd really like two Yuen Baio movies too; Dreadnaught and Righting Wrongs. Dreadnaught had a HKL dvd but it's very OOP now.

My favourite Yuen Biao film is Prodigal Son. If you haven't seen it, watch it - highly recommended. Not just for Yuen, but also for Lam Ching Ying, who was tremendous, and whose life was tragically cut short by cancer.

17 hours ago, Carbomb said:

My favourite Yuen Biao film is Prodigal Son. If you haven't seen it, watch it - highly recommended. Not just for Yuen, but also for Lam Ching Ying, who was tremendous, and whose life was tragically cut short by cancer.

Yeah, that's another one that's on my eBay list. Wish I'd have discovered and bought these years ago.