DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Some from the past few days

Whiplash

Just mesmerising. JK Simmons is obviously impressive, but Miles Teller was excellent as well. The last 10 minutes are as exhilirating as cinema gets. I bet that sounded immense in the cinema.

Girl On A Train

An utter mess of a film. Emily Blunt was good, but I genuinely found this hard to follow. Dreadful.

Josie & The Pussycats

Delightful stuff. Any film with Rosario Dawson in it is improved by 300%, but this was all round winning performances. Fucking great songs as well.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Josie & The Pussycats is great, yet nobody I know has ever seen it. It seems lost in that early 2000s fug. Big claim for them to be the best fictional movie band (bring it!)

Spinal Tap and Stillwater from Almost Famous say that you're wrong. 

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, chokeout said:

Spinal Tap and Stillwater from Almost Famous say that you're wrong. 

I'd throw in Sex-Bom-Omb too. Lovely garage rock, that.

16 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I loved Josie And The Pussycats too.  I thought it would be a teen flick about a band but it really isn't.  Tara Reid was brilliant, you can see why she went on to great things like the Sharknado films.

This is essentially why 'Girl Next Door' and especially '40 Year Old Virgin' surprised me so much. Both were advertised as your typical sex comedies but both really delivered the goods on great jokes, engaging characters and a real solid story.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:38 PM, SuperBacon said:

Whiplash

Just mesmerising. JK Simmons is obviously impressive, but Miles Teller was excellent as well. The last 10 minutes are as exhilirating as cinema gets. I bet that sounded immense in the cinema.

I still get goosebumps every time I watch Whiplash, it’s fucking phenomenal. If you (same goes for anyone else too) want to DM me your thoughts on it, i’ll include them on an upcoming bonus episode of my Inside Oz Podcast

• Paid Members

So, saw Halloween and Hunter Killer today.

Halloween is really good. It balances being its own, modern thing with being a faithful sequel very well indeed. There is one homage to the original that was really daft but by and large it's a really good, solid slasher. It won't change the genre like Get Out or The Witch could do but it's a crowd pleaser and a really good film. Really enjoyed it.

Hunter Killer is probably the most surprisingly good film I've seen at the cinema since Jumanji 2. Expected nothing going in and got a three-pronged suspense action thriller that's really exciting and knows its limitations. It will probably get ignored / panned but it deserves neither.