DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Netflix's latest, Apostle, isn't very good. Same guy who directed the two The Raid films, both massively overrated (although I quite liked the first one) and I wouldn't be surprised if this goes the same way.

A really slow folk-ish horror film where nothing happens for about an hour and a half and then goes mad for half an hour. Some good gore and Lucy Boynton has lovely hair and that's about it. Just watch The Wicker Man.

Amazon Prime have added I, Tonya and it's a cracking film.   Margot Robbie's been brilliant in everything I've seen her in, even utter dross like Suicide Squad.  Allison Janney almost unrecognisable as her asshole mother, and deserves all her awards wins.  The film has a cracking soundtrack too, really nostalgic as well as well chosen.

Best bit is Tonya's "bodyguard" (played by Paul Hauser), a prototype neckbeard with incredible delusions of being an international spy despite living with his parents and having no skills whatsoever.  It seems like a huge comic exaggeration until the credits roll and they play some footage of the real guy.

Top film.

As an aside "DVDs... you have watched"  That really ages this thread doesn't it?  I really miss Blockbuster still, used to enjoy going down there to get out a DVD on a Friday night.  Now I have to wait months or years until it pops up on Netflix or Amazon.  I've still yet to find a decent service for renting a movie where it doesn't cost a tenner!

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Loki said:

Amazon Prime have added I, Tonya and it's a cracking film.   Margot Robbie's been brilliant in everything I've seen her in, even utter dross like Suicide Squad.  Allison Janney almost unrecognisable as her asshole mother, and deserves all her awards wins.  The film has a cracking soundtrack too, really nostalgic as well as well chosen.

Best bit is Tonya's "bodyguard" (played by Paul Hauser), a prototype neckbeard with incredible delusions of being an international spy despite living with his parents and having no skills whatsoever.  It seems like a huge comic exaggeration until the credits roll and they play some footage of the real guy.

Top film.

As an aside "DVDs... you have watched"  That really ages this thread doesn't it?  I really miss Blockbuster still, used to enjoy going down there to get out a DVD on a Friday night.  Now I have to wait months or years until it pops up on Netflix or Amazon.  I've still yet to find a decent service for renting a movie where it doesn't cost a tenner!

I don't miss Blockbuster, but I do miss the local video shop that was eventually taken over by Blockbuster. When I was about 8, my best mates dad opened the shop, and it was pure heaven. He used to pay me and my mate to sit in the back of the shop rewinding tapes that were returned, and let us sit watching all manor of stuff while we did it(he had this little machine that just rewound videos, just so we could play something on the actual VHS player he had in the back). It was especially magic when he managed to get hold of one of the "Video Nasties" off the infamous DPP list!

Blockbuster was still decent and I have many happy memories of just pottering around it trying to decide what to rent. Problem was their policy on what they stocked. If it wasn't a decent money release, they didn't touch it. That meant all the old direct to video filth that I grew up loving when by the way side...

• Paid Members

i love the convenience of todays viewing but im so grateful to have experienced the vhs/dvd era rental stores, just brilliant memories. Going into Blockbuster and just browsing was a favorite past time of mine. 

• Paid Members

First Man isn't necessarily the type of thing I'd go for but I loved it. The main hook was the fact that the space missions were long ago enough that the equipment looks really antiquated now. It's all analog dials and heavy slamming doors. As the moon landing went successfully (spoiler) it's easy to forget it was an incredibly dangerous mission with no precedent and massive cost and the film showed that really effectively. They essentially flew to the moon in an old plane. (If it even really happened innit)

Ryan Gosling looks nothing like Neil Armstrong though. 

Only thing I didn't like and unfortunately it was right at the end 

It was a bit heavy handed when while he was on the moon they showed flashbacks of him with his dead daughter, he was crying and threw her bracelet on the moon, I think most people could extrapolate from that that he was thinking about her. It spoiled the flow of the great moon cinematography a bit and didn't feel necessary especially as no one knows if it even happened.

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

2 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

First Man isn't necessarily the type of thing I'd go for but I loved it. The main hook was the fact that the space missions were long ago enough that the equipment looks really antiquated now. It's all analog dials and heavy slamming doors. As the moon landing went successfully (spoiler) it's easy to forget it was an incredibly dangerous mission with no precedent and massive cost and the film showed that really effectively. They essentially flew to the moon in an old plane. (If it even really happened innit)

Ryan Gosling looks nothing like Neil Armstrong though. 

Only thing I didn't like and unfortunately it was right at the end 

Reveal hidden contents

It was a bit heavy handed when while he was on the moon they showed flashbacks of him with his dead daughter, he was crying and threw her bracelet on the moon, I think most people could extrapolate from that that he was thinking about her. It spoiled the flow of the great moon cinematography a bit and didn't feel necessary especially as no one knows if it even happened.

Took me a minute to figure what the hell you were talking about as I didn’t remember any of this happening, then realised I’d confused it with sub-par Aardman film Early Man 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Shea Whigham is in First Man as well, since he made a tiny role in Bad Lieutenant one of the best things in an already great film I'm always happy to see him pop up in stuff.

He's also in Bad Times at the El Royale. He's in everything, he's great.

Unfriended: Dark Web is rather good, like Searching's evil twin - same gimmick, but this time it's a young man stumbling into the world of online snuff flims after stealing a laptop. It's an exciting, modern take on Rear Window and the slasher films of the 80s (especially Nightmare on Elm Steet), with the nasty twist of the kids being forced to watch their friends die onscreen in real time. That'll learn 'em for not reading more books or running around in the garden anymore. It's great, though, to see a horror film embrace the potential of social media and whatnot to heighten the tension rather than shy away from it by setting the action in the 80s, or having the obligatory "can't get cell phone reception" scene. More of this sort of thing, I say. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud

16 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

I don't miss Blockbuster, but I do miss the local video shop that was eventually taken over by Blockbuster. When I was about 8, my best mates dad opened the shop, and it was pure heaven. He used to pay me and my mate to sit in the back of the shop rewinding tapes that were returned, and let us sit watching all manor of stuff while we did it(he had this little machine that just rewound videos, just so we could play something on the actual VHS player he had in the back). It was especially magic when he managed to get hold of one of the "Video Nasties" off the infamous DPP list!

Blockbuster was still decent and I have many happy memories of just pottering around it trying to decide what to rent. Problem was their policy on what they stocked. If it wasn't a decent money release, they didn't touch it. That meant all the old direct to video filth that I grew up loving when by the way side...

Local video shops were an Aladdin's cave of temptations and forbidden treasures. So many crappy films with lovely airbrushed cover art. I used to be entranced by the likes of H.O.T.S. and Hellraiser, before being told I was getting some shite like Ice Pirates and to be grateful I was being allowed anything at all. Nostalgia only goes so far.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Local video shops were an Aladdin's cave of temptations and forbidden treasures. So many crappy films with lovely airbrushed cover art. I used to be entranced by the likes of H.O.T.S. and Hellraiser, before being told I was getting some shite like Ice Pirates and to be grateful I was being allowed anything at all. Nostalgia only goes so far.

I loved my mates place. He still has his 1st generation copies of Evil Dead, Bay of Blood, Tenebrae and a few others(that I can't remember off the top of my head) that his dad had to hide in his parent's loft when the shit hit the fan with the "Video Nasties" bullshit, because one of the blokes he used to buy his stock off wholesale was one of those prosecuted(and I think got sent down).

11 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

I loved my mates place. He still has his 1st generation copies of Evil Dead, Bay of Blood, Tenebrae and a few others(that I can't remember off the top of my head) that his dad had to hide in his parent's loft when the shit hit the fan with the "Video Nasties" bullshit, because one of the blokes he used to buy his stock off wholesale was one of those prosecuted(and I think got sent down).

You don't by any chance remember the name of a film that had a tagline along the lines of "A Vision of Beauty Born In Hell!" do you? It had a cover that fascinated me as a kid, this bald woman screaming. Never heard of it since I used to stand trembling before it in Azad.

Edited by Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

You don't by any chance remember the name of a film that had a tagline along the lines of "A Vision of Beauty Born In Hell!" do you? It had a cover that fascinated me as a kid, this bald woman screaming. Never heard of it since I used to stand before it trembling in Azad.

I think its a film called "The Rejuvinator". Seems to ring a bell anyway...

edit,

just done a search and has also been released under the name "Rejuvinatrix".

Edited by Cod Eye