DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Thing is, whilst it wouldn't have been perfect, they could've established that the shared cinematic/TV universe already existed because of all the films made.

Was discussing this with a mate a few weeks ago (and I think it may have been discussed on here), that King is one of the most cinematised authors in terms of films to individual titles (as opposed to remakes of the same titles). Think there might have been one author who is more than he is, but I can't remember whom.

The shared universe would exist specifically in the Dark Tower books but wouldn't necessarily reference the other films or characters from his other books, despite them being mentioned in the books, because the film rights are all over the place.

They have however done something similar with the Castlerock tv series 

Edit: That list would be huge if you included the tv stuff / tv films that got a release over here. Crazy how much stuff he's had adapted

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members

I think it would have worked much better if they'd avoided reference to the book in advertising - playing it as a totally separate film, with the Dark Tower references being much more subtle throughout the majority of the film. Making out it's about a kid who is bringing his imagination to life with this gunslinger character, but it's dangerous. But having enough in there so that, by the end, it's an introduction to the Dark Tower world.

From a marketing point of view, I reckon it could have built a lot of sudden excitement. Imagine fans realising, the day of/after release, that the first Dark Tower film has been made and released. 

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, I was surprised when it was announced it was going to be a film and not a series, or at least a series of films. There's just too much going on in it to condense it all that much. A kids' adventure story would've been a stretch, though - there would be too many adult elements to cut out.

I don't think turning it on to a full on kids fantasy adventure film would have been a problem at all. The film was basically a more violent Never Ending Story anyway. I'd be a lot happier with that instead of the shitty hybrid it turned out to be. Neither dark enough or light enough to work on either end of the scale for me.

61DjsxQIYVL._SY445_.jpg

More of a horror-thriller than a straight up horror movie but it's a very good, really well shot movie. Set in Amsterdam amongst the canals, giving the killer a unique edge and creating a sub genre in aquatic slashers. There's not much in the way of gore, sans the odd limb shot and the opening kill, but it's a taut thriller. Features some excellent shots from under the water and you easily get that sense of dread from not knowing when the killer will strike next.

It contains a thrilling James Bond inspired speedboat chase through the Dutch canals. Amsterdamned manages to mix the B-movie vibe of a masked psychopath with the cultural trademarks of a top European destination.

Dick Maas does an extremely good job of making his movie stand out and making it a Jaws type slasher. It does drag a tad in the middle where there's sub plots and characters stories seemingly going nowhere, but overall it's an enjoyable and intriguing watch.

• Paid Members

It's great fun, isn't it? It's the best speedboat chase of all time aside from Live and Let Die. It also inspired the speedboat chase down the same section of canal in The Hitman's Bodyguard.

Maas also directed a really fun film called The Lift which is worth seeing.

• Paid Members

This Amsterdamned talk has reminded me. This week the revised edition of Justin Kerswell book The Teenage Slasher Movie Book has come out. My copy arrived today. It's absolutely superb. If it weren't for the first edition I'd never have seen the Bollywood remake of I Know What You Did Last Summer. Check it out.

Amazon - Teenage Slasher Movie Book

Also Vinegar Syndrome just announced they are releasing a fully uncut 4k restoration Blu-ray of Cutting Class. Never seen it but I will get my hands on that as soon as possible. Brad Pitt + 80s slasher movie = must buy for DEF.

Is the running time a problem or does it fill it well?

I watched Downsizing.  I love Alexander Payne and this adds to his fine work.  Another one where the trailer is misleading, like most of his stuff, it's funny with a huge amount of darkness.  For some reason though I was convincing myself this was a Mike Judge collaboration.  No idea where that came from.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Is the running time a problem or does it fill it well?

Fills it superbly, I barely noticed it. I think perhaps because it's so heavily concentrated on character rather than plot.

The cast are brilliant too. I had never even heard of Cynthia Erivo coming into this but she's not just the breakout star but the best thing in it, which is saying something when you see the rest of this cast.