DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Saw MANDY at the Prince Charles on Saturday.

Firstly, its an insanely beautiful film. Its trippy as, but just on a pure film making level its wonderful to look at.

Nicolas Cage is excellent. He does go full Cage at certain points, but its warranted. They play some bits for laughs, but it works.

As the actions ramps up it gets to great levels of gore, but they're all sort of ingenious.

All in all, I loved it. If you can see it in a cinema, I would recommend it. If not, its out on Blu Ray on the 29th. Worth picking up a copy.

1 hour ago, Factotum said:

Saw MANDY at the Prince Charles on Saturday.

Firstly, its an insanely beautiful film. Its trippy as, but just on a pure film making level its wonderful to look at.

Nicolas Cage is excellent. He does go full Cage at certain points, but its warranted. They play some bits for laughs, but it works.

As the actions ramps up it gets to great levels of gore, but they're all sort of ingenious.

All in all, I loved it. If you can see it in a cinema, I would recommend it. If not, its out on Blu Ray on the 29th. Worth picking up a copy.

I've already seen it through illegal methods.. but I'll be catching it again if it's shown locally. I can imagine it being even better on a big screen.

• Paid Members

Yeah, if anyone cheers or applauds in any film I go and see, I report them to cinema staff.

Just watched Wes Craven's Shocker, which I think could now be my favourite film by him. It's absolutely bloody nuts. Just goes to show what he could do when he wasn't pissing around with Scream films.

5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah, if anyone cheers or applauds in any film I go and see, I report them to cinema staff.

Just watched Wes Craven's Shocker, which I think could now be my favourite film by him. It's absolutely bloody nuts. Just goes to show what he could do when he wasn't pissing around with Scream films.

Have you seen The People Under the Stairs? I wish he had done more films like that, it's brilliant.

• Paid Members
Just now, Merzbow said:

Have you seen The People Under the Stairs? I wish he had done more films like that, it's brilliant.

Yeah, I love it. But I think I just slightly prefer Shocker because it's completely insane from start to finish. It barely ever makes any sense but it doesn't matter at all.

He peaked pretty early - Last House on the Left and The Hills Have Eyes are two films with odd titles that work very well as grim horror films that contain startling imagery and make you feel a bit worse about humanity. There was something about the 70s, probably Vietnam related, that made certain horror films repulsively compelling, Texas Chainsaw Massare being the ultimate example of artistic and dream-like yet totally fucked up. I'll have to watch Shocker again - it's one of those 80s VHSs that stood out in the shop at the time.

Edited by Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members

I also rewatched Audition last night, which is still brilliant even when you know what's coming. I also watched Bio Zombie, which was good fun but not as mad as I'd been led to believe. I like the idea of long-sighted zombies though.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Shocker doesn't get enough love. I had it on video as a youth and would blast it on quite regularly. And Mitch Pileggi will always be Horace Pinker and not Skinner for me.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Where did you see Shocker? I’d love to give it a watch

Edited by waters44

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Where did you see Shocker? I’d love to give it a watch

I taped it off the Horror channel, last week. Might do the rounds again soon.

• Paid Members

I've said it on here before  ; Shocker is easily, far and away Cravens' greatest movie. He threw himself bollocks first  into that flick with wonderfully reckless abandon.

I've also loved Peter Berg since I first saw Shocker. He has such a great face for comedy. Always looks like someone's just handed him a Rubiks Cube

Although, this will always be my favourite Peter Berg moment. From the criminally underrated Great White Hype: