DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

You don't by any chance remember the name of a film that had a tagline along the lines of "A Vision of Beauty Born In Hell!" do you? It had a cover that fascinated me as a kid, this bald woman screaming. Never heard of it since I used to stand trembling before it in Azad.

s-l300.png

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Excellent. Thanks, fellows! I'm glad its horribleness wasn't a false memory. 

It's been going on 30 years since I last watched it, but from memory it wasn't that bad a film. Well, not compared to some of the dross that was released direct to video at the time.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

July 22

Harrowing to be honest. It's a good film, but I can't say I enjoyed it, as the scenes on Utoya are just horrible. The lad that plays gunshot victim Viljar is absolutely excellent. But yeah, harrowing. 

Thats one of them movies im gonna have to be in the right frame of mind to watch. I expect the same kind of emotions i got watching Elephant back in the day.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The only emotion to be felt watching Elephant is disgust at yourself for watching one of the worst films ever made. 

Could have been worse for him, he could have been watching women's wrestling.

Brawl In Cell Block 99 is great. Vince Vaughn, playing against type as a double 'ard bastard with a shaved head, takes revenge and fights his way in prison up to the big baddie who happens to be Udo bloody Kier. It's noirish and the violence is quite brutal - snapped arms and whatnot. Great stuff, if you like films that harken back to the exploitation era and feature Udo Kier and Don Johnson. 

• Awards Moderator
18 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Paul Greengrass gave a really good interview about 22 July on Kermode and Mayo the other week which is up on YouTube and on the podcast a week ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h_7aanP9V8

I haven't seen 22 July yet but I will, as others have said I'll need to be in the right mood (and have spare episodes of Taskmaster to watch afterwards). Paul's motivation for making the film is morbidly fascinating - that Brevik's speech is now the everyday talk of the far-right. And to get it on Netflix so a younger audience can decide what kind of world they want to live in.