DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I saw Blindspotting today and I'm putting myself out there and saying it's the Do the Right Thing of this decade. It's the best film I've seen this year and has the same balance of comedy and social drama. I was very lucky to catch it and I know it's barely on anywhere but if you can catch it, do.

27 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I saw Blindspotting today and I'm putting myself out there and saying it's the Do the Right Thing of this decade. It's the best film I've seen this year and has the same balance of comedy and social drama. I was very lucky to catch it and I know it's barely on anywhere but if you can catch it, do.

Did the timing all work out?  IS that the first time you've been HOME since The Cornerhouse?  Cracking space, isn't it.

• Paid Members

Yep, got home with 15 minutes to spare so it worked out nicely, thanks for the info! Going to do it next week for a Hungarian film called 1945. </ponce>

I think the last time I'd been to the Cornerhouse was for Spirited Away, THAT long ago.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I know it has Daveed Diggs involved and that’s enough for me to want to see it.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I know it has Daveed Diggs involved and that’s enough for me to want to see it.

And he's pretty amazing in it. When he doesn't get nominated for an Oscar next year, it will prove once and for all how worthless they are.

I watched The Dark Tower last night. I did this so you don't have to. Its shit. Two decent actors are really shit in this and the elements they take from the books aren't portrayed very well. It's understandable why it's so messy when there's so much to try to whittle down to but they should have just mad a massive tv series or just turned it in to a kids adventure story like Never Ending Story.

Echoing the love for Blindspotting. Fantastic film, loved the way they went all over the place with tone - it's simultaneously really funny and nerve shatteringly anxious but it all feels natural to the films flow rather than whiplashy. Some of the points they make are pretty obvious (although probs still need to be said) but there's some really little interesting moments looking at attitudes towards race and gentrification (I loved the moment at the party where Collin doesn't realise the other two are talking about his friend, quick and nuanced little thought there)

Ending is bold, already seen a lot of discussion on if it lands or not. I felt they just about pulled it off although that was partly probably going in as a fan of Clipping (the lead's band) and seeing it reflecting  his work with them..

It felt as much like a soliloquy using stylised language than necessarily exactly what was happening (although not saying it's a fantasy sequence), he even directly addressed why he started rapping his thoughts (you're conditioned to listen to me if you hear a black man rapping). They'd subtly hinted at what had happened to the cop so it didn't feel unrealistic that he sat there and took what was being said rather than attempting to engage back.

Edited by organizedkaos

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I watched The Dark Tower last night. I did this so you don't have to. Its shit. Two decent actors are really shit in this and the elements they take from the books aren't portrayed very well. It's understandable why it's so messy when there's so much to try to whittle down to but they should have just mad a massive tv series or just turned it in to a kids adventure story like Never Ending Story.

Yeah, I was surprised when it was announced it was going to be a film and not a series, or at least a series of films. There's just too much going on in it to condense it all that much. A kids' adventure story would've been a stretch, though - there would be too many adult elements to cut out.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, I was surprised when it was announced it was going to be a film and not a series, or at least a series of films. There's just too much going on in it to condense it all that much. A kids' adventure story would've been a stretch, though - there would be too many adult elements to cut out.

The original pitch when it was announced was that it would be a multi platform release with films and a TV series overlapping and featuring different areas of a shared universe ('cause everyone wants a shared universe because Marvel make loads of money) The failure of the film put a stop to that though.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, chokeout said:

The original pitch when it was announced was that it would be a multi platform release with films and a TV series overlapping and featuring different areas of a shared universe ('cause everyone wants a shared universe because Marvel make loads of money) The failure of the film put a stop to that though.

Thing is, whilst it wouldn't have been perfect, they could've established that the shared cinematic/TV universe already existed because of all the films made.

Was discussing this with a mate a few weeks ago (and I think it may have been discussed on here), that King is one of the most cinematised authors in terms of films to individual titles (as opposed to remakes of the same titles). Think there might have been one author who is more than he is, but I can't remember whom.

Seems as good a place as any to post the new trailer for the new Pet Sematary remake. Never read the book but it looks pretty good, if only because of John Lithgow.

I'm a fan of Stephen King. His books can be hit and miss, as are the film adaptations of his books, The Shining is a masterpiece in both formats, Cell was shit in both.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members

According to Literary Hub last year, Stephen King was (by a wide margin) the most adapted living author. 

Using the ground rules that multiple adaptations of the same book count, but sequels to adapted works without a literary source text don't, that TV movies don't count, and only counting English language authors, King has 34 adaptations, with Nicholas Sparks coming in second with 11.

So that's:

Carrie (1976)
The Shining (1980)
Cujo (1983)
The Dead Zone (1983)
Christine (1983)
Children of the Corn (1984)
Firestarter (1984)
Silver Bullet (1985)
Maximum Overdrive (1986)
Stand By Me (1986)
The Running Man (1987)
Pet Sematary (1989)
Graveyard Shift (1990)
Misery (1990)
The Dark Half (1993)
Needful Things (1991)
The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Dolores Claiborne (1995)
The Mangler (1995)
Thinner (1996)
The Night Flier (1997)
Apt Pupil (1998)
The Green Mile (1999)
Hearts in Atlantis (2001)
Dreamcatcher (2003)
Secret Window (2004)
Riding the Bullet (2004)
1408 (2007)
The Mist (2007)
Mercy (2014)
A Good Marriage (2014)
Cell (2016)
The Dark Tower (2017)
IT (2017)

Count non-theatrical releases (Netflix, TV series, made for TV movies), and he'd be off and running.