DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I do rate old Jase' As i said before, Blitz isnt an action movie per se, so i didnt tune in for big set pieces and he has a great solid performance throughout - just not sure that i see him in that role.

I'd probably pick it up on DVD, which reminds me...did anyone here actually ever watch Bullet to the Head? I went to massive efforts to see it at the cinema, and really enjoyed it, but it was only out for about a week. What were peoples thoughts on it? The Stallone character was fucking brilliant, the perfect anti-hero.

Thought it was boss myself saw it at the cinema and rewatched it last week on sky, i think walter hill did a good job with it.

• Paid Members

I too enjoyed Bullet to the Head as I said in this thread awhile ago but the script felt like something off Seagal's straight to dvd pile to me. The cast was pretty decent though and as a big Stallone fan I enjoyed him in it.

• Paid Members

I thought it was great to see him in an action role where he wasnt playing the big hearted plucky underdog.

I'd like to see more of Jimmy Bobo. His whole "couldnt give a fuck" demeanour made for a really fun character. They couldnt have paired him with a wetter fart mind you, buddy movies arent what they used to be.

Saw Man Of Steel last night. Enjoyed it for the most part and the wife now fancies Henry Cavill.

Very much a film of two halves, first being all character development the second turning into Snyder wanting to make the loudest movie possible with flying...lots and lots of flying. The narrative seemed a bit all over the places at times also. Thought that Michael Shannon was good as Zod and thought that Russell Crowe played his part well also, even if I did laugh quite hard at the bit were hes just standing pointing Lois Lane in a direction like some steward on his first match-day.

While I did enjoy it, I still prefer Batman over Superman

• Paid Members

I like Batman infinitely more than I like Superman but I thought the Chris Nolan Batman movies (especially TDKR) were an insult to the character whereas Man Of Steel was a fantastic reintroduction to Superman & I can't wait to see more.

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

Has it been decided how many films this new run of Superman is going to get? Intrigued where the next will go, especially if Nolan gets the Bond job in the future as we discussed recently.

Speaking of Bond, Paddypower are offering the odds on Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba (both 9/2). I've been saying for ages that Fassbender will be the new Bond. I just can't visualise who else could do it at this point in time

With sky doing their "bond" channel again from today, just wondering which were the best/worst bonds in everyones opinion?

I'm not a fan of The Man with the Golden Gun. I' like Moore a lot, I wthink The Spy Who Loved Me is one of the best Bond films, but TMWTGG just drags for me.

Sad to see hate for TMWTGG. I know it's a bit crap, but it's a Bond film I have a soft spot for. And the theme and score are awesome.

It's hard for me to choose a favourite Bond, I enjoy the majority of them, but the stand out classics are The Spy Who Loved Me and Goldfinger. These are the ones, along with Live and Let Die, that made me really love the James Bond series as a kid and beyond. Die Another Day is a pretty shitty Bond film. The opening sequence is good, but it's downhill from there. And despite my love for Roger Moore, View To A Kill is a fairly shite Bond film. Walken puts in a good shift as Max Zorin, but the rest of the film is gash. And it has this:

gracejones.jpg

This is the End. Reviews gave me too high expectations of this, and it didn't quite live up to them, but it's still great. A bunch of the current top comedy actors (plus Jay Baruchel) hole up in James Franco's house during the rapture. They're all on good form, riffing on their public personas. The Franco/Danny McBride dynamic cracked me up, and I loved the sequence where Emma Watson's with them. I'll be buying the bluray of this.

gracejones.jpg

Is that the guy who played Curtis in Misfits?

• Paid Members

Olympus Has Fallen - I thought it was fantastic. Really, really enjoyed it. Butler's accent is a bit jarring at times, as you can clearly hear the staunch Paisley/Glasgee accent come through at points, but he was excellent as the rogue hard bollox in this. I won't spoil it, but there's a scene where he has two of the baddy's tied up, and it's probably my favourite scene in the last ten years of action movies.

The bodycount is absolutely astounding, and I was made up that they finally delivered a manly, unshaven bollox out, action movie for grown ups akin to what Fox used to churn out in the 80's.

Our Matrix here would, and should, love it.