DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Theres a lot of people hyping up the 'A Field in England' showing on Film4 today mainly because its being released on Bluray, in the Cinema and on Film4 all on the same day.My main problem is that people are hyping the shit out of it because its directed by Ben Wheatley who directed the abysmal piece of shit Kill List which is the worst film Ive seen in the last few years yet keeps getting 5 star reviews off everyone. Why do people like it so much? :(

I won't be bloody watching it. Down Terrace was just as bad as Kill List.

• Paid Members
The Lookout is excellent, isn't it? Watched it last week, great film. I do like JGL but he might be one of those people who is just not going to be in much that I like. Premium Rush is great fun, though. Michael Shannon is excellent in it.

The Lookout was a real surprise. Wasn't anything like I expected it to be and I think Levitt is a fearless talent. He hasn't peaked yet, and I reckon in ten years, he'll be the man.

Michael Shannon is great in everything I've seen him in. I couldn't ever take him seriously as a good guy, unless he played some kind of anti-hero cop role like something from a David Ayer scripted gig.

EDIT - Also, Ben Wheatley is the pox! And they have some sort of Film 4 week dedicated to him. Sightseers is dreadful and I don't know how it's so critically revered...

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Have you seen Take Shelter, Branquey? Easily one of the best films I've seen for years. He's amazingly good in it, as is the girl Chastain.

• Paid Members
Have you seen Take Shelter, Branquey? Easily one of the best films I've seen for years. He's amazingly good in it, as is the girl Chastain.

I never even heard of it until now, D-Mal. I just looked at the synopsis and it looks like something I'd love. I'm downloading it now for tonights viewing so will have a full report.

The Iceman is also a good flick, but seriously, I think Chris Evans was the most interesting thing in it. I never thought I'd say that.

• Paid Members

Take Shelter is one of those films that has a misleading synopsis, but in a good way. You think it's going to be one thing but it's actually something different and even better. I think you'll love it.

Theres a lot of people hyping up the 'A Field in England' showing on Film4 today

I won't be bloody watching it.

I have it recording tonight, just saw a few clips of it and now i'm really not looking forward to it.

I'd recommend giving Sightseers a go, it's not really a Ben Wheatley creation. It's the stars Alice Lowe and Steve Oram's baby. They'd previously done the characters in a short film and wrote the screenplay before Wheatley got involved.

EDIT - Also, Ben Wheatley is the pox! And they have some sort of Film 4 week dedicated to him. Sightseers is dreadful and I don't know how it's so critically revered...

In what way was it dreadful? what were you expecting it to be?

Take Shelter is great, i got the family to watch it at christmas.......didn't go well.

• Paid Members
In what way was it dreadful? what were you expecting it to be?

Take Shelter is great, i got the family to watch it at christmas.......didn't go well.

Somebody told me it was on par with the Big Lebowski for quotability and was akin to something the Coen brothers would put out, and I was told that I - of all people - would love it. I felt disgusted that somebody would actually think I'd find that monotonous, septic tripe entertaining.

A critic actually had the bollox to say, '...if you liked Spaced you would love this'.

I just thought it plodded, and had nothing of interest to say really. Also, the lead male (Oram) is a horrendous actor, and completely took me out of the movie.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

Who's seen Premium Rush? I want them to make more films like this these days. Absolutely cracking fun. Of course, nobody went to see the fucking thing because they were all busy watching fucking Batman so they won't make another one, but don't miss out on this because it's great.

I saw it when it came out at the cinema last September. I liked it and it was good fun but it is no where near a great film from what I remember. Will have to give it another watch when I get the chance to see if it improves on a 2nd viewing.

On the subject of Ben Wheatley, I don't hate his films as much as everyone else on here seems to (I wouldn't really recommend them as essential viewing to anyone, but I didn't hate them either) and I have found that each of his films are better than the last (Sightseers is a pretty good 80-minute dark comedy, I quite liked the first hour or so of Kill List until it seemed to fall apart in the 3rd act, and I found Down Terrace to be a passable low-budget debut movie). But that said, he really does not know how to end a film (all three of his films so far have had poor endings and apparently his new film is the same). I will give A Field in England a watch when I get time, but I don't expect too much from it going in so I hope not to hate it.

Take Shelter was easily one of the best films I watched last year. When Michael Shannon goes into full on 'there's a storm comin' preacher mode he's just amazing. A really satisfying ending in a strange way.

• Paid Members

Ben Wheatley was my brother's friend at secondary school so we were interested to see what his films were like and they are indeed utter unredeemable shit, I hated everything about kill list and every time his films are discussed on here (which is way too often) I die inside a little bit.

Also I love Michael Shannon, I was probably going to make my way through every film of his til I read in here that he was in Premium Rush, I avoid every JGL film and I want to watch every Michael Shannon film - stalemate.

Has anyone seen the Dax Shepherd/Will Arnett comedy film "Let's go to Prison"? It's pretty enjoyable but Michael Shannon has a great turn in it as a terrifying skinhead prisoner in a "just before he hit it big role"

• Paid Members
Gonna pick up the Twin Peaks boxset for my birthday later this month. It's always come highly recommended from a few people I know. Anyone on here back that up?

When its good its one of the best shows ever. Well worth checking out. Think you'll love it