DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

I'll be the first one to jump in and invite everyone to call me a cunt by saying I really loved A Field in England. Pretentious, yes, but Reece Shearsmith elevated it hugely, like he does with everything he's in. Nobody does that kind of gleefully unhinged performance like him.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The slow-mo emergence of him from the tent, on the rope, and the close-ups of him gorging mushrooms were so, so fantastic. And hilarious.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

On the subject of Ben Wheatley, I loved Down Terrace and Kill List, but Sightseers mostly left me cold.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Moderators

Let's go to Prison was terrible.. Premium Rush was one of those films I watched on a plane because there was nothing better to do and it's really fucking silly but pretty entertaining I have to say. I like JGL and want him to do well but I have a feeling his range is pretty limited and he has bad taste in movies so keeps acting in stupid shit. That sci fi movie with Bruce Willis was turd.

I'll be the first one to jump in and invite everyone to call me a cunt by saying I really loved A Field in England. Pretentious, yes, but Reece Shearsmith elevated it hugely, like he does with everything he's in. Nobody does that kind of gleefully unhinged performance like him.

Just finished watching A Field in England and it is really, really bad. The people on here who hate Ben Wheatley are going to think even less of him (if that is possible) if they can be bothered to watch it. It is pretty much four men (five after 30-minutes) walking through a field spouting off poor and boring dialogue for 85-minutes,

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

then shooting each other in the third act.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

It would be the worst film I've seen in 2013 if not for the existence of Movie 43.

It is nice to see Reece Shearsmith, but even he for me could not elevate it above being a terrible film.

• Awards Moderator
Also watched Shame, which was a massive letdown. There was no story, nothing to the characters, and the sex scenes weren't up to much either. Fassbender had nice hair, that's about it. At least fellow overrated piece of shit Drive had some style to paper over its lack of substance. I hate Carey Mulligan because of those two films.

I watched this last night and felt like I was missing a joke. Such over- over- overlong scenes, protracted shots of running, or of metro journeys, where you get the point in the first few frames, but then it lingers all over it because... I don't know why. For the record I thought Carey Mulligan was good in both those films - I liked Drive and Shame about the same amount. Reasonable distractions but neither of them as amazing as everyone raved about at the time. Such thin plotting! That style of film just isn't for me I guess.

You gotta love Fass's bender though.

• Paid Members

I absolutely adore Drive :(.

Don't laugh lads but I watched an Uwe Boll movie called Assault on Wall Street and despite some poxy editing at points, it was actually really enjoyable. That's two half decent flicks he's made now in Rampage and Assault on Wall Street. Darfur and Postal were alright at points. Everything else he's ever made was beyond atrocious, but his film career has been like watching a child evolve and finally learn to write a backwards K in crayon.

• Paid Members
I've come close to watching 'Rampage' on Netflix several times. Is it 'Falling Down-lite' or is it worth watching?

Bit more extreme and violent than Falling Down, Expired Michael. It's insane at points...really is worth a watch just to see Boll actually make something really interesting. The lead performance from that dude out of Freddy vs Jason is pretty intense too.

It's seen as Boll's best film by about seventy million miles isn't it?

I'm fairly sure, critically, it was massively successful (relatively speaking) with the general sentiment seeming to be 'Really? This good film is a Uwe Boll film?'

• Paid Members
It's seen as Boll's best film by about seventy million miles isn't it?

I'm fairly sure, critically, it was massively successful (relatively speaking) with the general sentiment seeming to be 'Really? This good film is a Uwe Boll film?'

It's by no means a classic, but it's certainly entertaining and harsh enough to stick around in your head after the credits roll. Assault on Wall Street is a second decent Boll film that's actually like a really entertaining Punisher flick that Ennis would have a hand in.

Purcell and his strange neck would make a really good Punisher.

• Paid Members

just saw Pacific Rim and it didn't do anything for me. Effects wise it's fucking incredible but it was just a pretty cold experience on every other front...on another day i have seen it in the right frame of mind and loved the mindless action of it all but not this time.