DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

John Dies at the End - Big bag of pants. Silly, cheesy horror-comedy, where the horror isn't horrible, and the comedy isn't funny. The book was also intelligible, but far more entertaining. Also, it's that kind of indie movie that has Paul Giamatti and Clancy Brown in the cast, but they seemingly (especially Giamatti) were available for one quick day of shooting, being only in one location. The leads are fuck annoying, too. It's pants. A lot of people like Don Coscarelli's films, but outside of the original Phantasm, I think they've been total arse. Yes, that includes Bubba Ho-Tep, which benefits from some good performances, but also features Reggie Bannister, and is wank. Thankfully, he seems to be on the outs with Coscarelli, so he's not stinking up this film, although the best thing about Phantasm, Angus Scrimm, is wheeled out for a few moments that are just about the best in the film.

Edited by Tuxedomoon

• Paid Members

"Phantasm" series was never as good as what people made out. First was decent enough, rest were absolute rank. Probably similar to the "Howling" series. All terrible films. "Howling 2" is hilarious though. Absolutely hilarious.

ADDED: Just found "Howling 2" on Youtube. Don't know if this fully works. Click here.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

I do have a soft for the Phantasm films, although ive always felt that the comedic edge and sense of surrealism was somewhat accidental and caused by the sheer shitness of a few of the performances, Reggie Bannisters being thd main culprit.

• Paid Members

I have a mate who loves Don Coscarelli but can't say I cared for any of the Phantasm series. I did enjoy Bubba Ho-Tep though, good cast for that kind of movie and while it wouldn't trouble any awards and despite a totally ridiculous premise it was fun.

Watched Valhalla Rising last night.

I watched it on the strength of Drive, so I'll say this. The soundtrack was exquisite, much of the cinematography was beautiful. But it was fucking awful. Hugely pretentious, like someone trying to out Herzog Herzog but with neither the cast nor the script.

It was stunningly boring for large segments. I love minimalist films as a rule, I'm a huge Kelly Reichardt fan, but her films aren't boring, they are fascinating in the details. This was just slow for the sake of it. A waste of a great premise.

So, yeah - jury's out on Refn for me. Drive wasn't as clever as it thought it was, and this was a massive miss.

• Paid Members
I do have a soft for the Phantasm films, although ive always felt that the comedic edge and sense of surrealism was somewhat accidental and caused by the sheer shitness of a few of the performances, Reggie Bannisters being thd main culprit.

I see a lot of it as being that way - it's like catching lightning in a bottle. The ideas involved were great, and the ropey acting, the cheapness of the movie, and the scariness of the Tall Man offset Coscarelli's ineptitude.

• Paid Members
Watched Valhalla Rising last night.

God I hated that film, I knew it wasn't going to be a balls out Viking adventure or anything but I still wasn't expecting that, easily one of the most boring films i've ever seen, I was shocked at how slow it was and like you said, it's not slow in a good way, no gradual development or slow burning plot that ends satisfactorily, just so fucking slow and boring!

• Paid Members
Underrated Stathe that one. Haven't watched it in a while. Did you notice the magic gun at the end? Pretty crazy/embarrassing they left that in.

Talking of the Stathe any of you seen Hummingbird yet? Might try and see it tonight.

I didnt actually, it's still in the player, i'll have a butchers tonight.

I've seen the trailer for it, not sure what to think. I can't see him as homeless guy (wearing the wardrobe and wig of the paedo from Blitz by the look of it) and yet another film where he goes on to wear the black suit and tie combo.

Undecided at the minute.

• Paid Members

Hummingbirds great for a while, and then it falls apart. It isn't an action movie, it's a bleak drama and shows that Statham can actually act and is rather good at it too.

It's kind of like a mixture of Death Wish and Eastern Promises in a weird way, but if it wasn't for Stathams performance I'd give it a 5/10 instead of, say, a 7/10.

• Paid Members

I do rate old Jase' As i said before, Blitz isnt an action movie per se, so i didnt tune in for big set pieces and he has a great solid performance throughout - just not sure that i see him in that role.

I'd probably pick it up on DVD, which reminds me...did anyone here actually ever watch Bullet to the Head? I went to massive efforts to see it at the cinema, and really enjoyed it, but it was only out for about a week. What were peoples thoughts on it? The Stallone character was fucking brilliant, the perfect anti-hero.