DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I've not seen Down Terrace. I watched a clip of it at some funding event thing, and it didn't inspire me to track down the whole thing. Apparently it was made for next to nothing though (by film industry standards), and it served him well enough to get decent money for other stuff. Sightseers isn't anywhere near as bad as Kill List, but I don't like the look of his new one.

• Paid Members

Yeah, he made it in 8 days or something. It's the same old shit as Kill List - lots of utter twats talking bollocks and several horrible murders in-between periods of nothing happening. I just think Wheatley's a bit shit, really.

• Paid Members
I watched Django Unchained last night and was very, very impressed. I've got a new found respect for both Foxx and Waltz who were both incredible throughout the whole film. Tarrantino once again brings out another blockbuster here which is up there with some of his best work. Really enjoyed this one and I hope others on here did.

Presumably you're familiar with Tarantino's back catalogue, given you've gone and ranked Django up there with some of his best stuff. So you'll have seen Inglourious Basterds? How could you possibly say you've got a new found respect for Christoph Waltz after Django? He stole the show in Basterds and won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for it. You didn't respect him already?

Edited by Arch Stanton

• Awards Moderator
Yeah, he made it in 8 days or something. It's the same old shit as Kill List - lots of utter twats talking bollocks and several horrible murders in-between periods of nothing happening. I just think Wheatley's a bit shit, really.

I know you don't read it anyway, but Empire constantly bum Wheatley as some kind of god of the British film industry and it's sort of put me off wanting to see any of his films. A Field In England appealed initially because it was set during the Civil War but after finding out what it's about, I'm not interested. I'd watch Sightseers for Alice Lowe but that's about it.

• Paid Members

It doesn't surprise me at all. I don't even really see what the appeal is either. The two films I've seen from him have been hilariously serious-faced drivel, not even slightly original, and with not one redeeming character.

• Paid Members

Who's seen Premium Rush? I want them to make more films like this these days. Absolutely cracking fun. Of course, nobody went to see the fucking thing because they were all busy watching fucking Batman so they won't make another one, but don't miss out on this because it's great.

• Paid Members

I saw it in the flicks D-Mal with my wee lad. Both of us enjoyed it more that that Dark Knight Rises nonsense. Have watched it since with the missus and it's a great way to spend a rainy night. I'm a big fan of Levitt and recently only watched the very underrated Lookout and his being the only good thing in Killshot.

I watched A Fish Called Wanda last night. I haven't seen this since I was 10 or something. Kevin Kline is fucking magnificent in it!!!!

It's hard to watch Jamie Lee Curtis doing anything sexy because my ma was the spitting image of her before she passed and my dad is the image of John Cleese, so it was a weird experience.

I remember I went to see True Lies in the flicks with my mates, and my mate developed a crush on me ma after that. That was pretty fucking disturbing...

I watched Django Unchained last night and was very, very impressed. I've got a new found respect for both Foxx and Waltz who were both incredible throughout the whole film. Tarrantino once again brings out another blockbuster here which is up there with some of his best work. Really enjoyed this one and I hope others on here did.

Presumably you're familiar with Tarantino's back catalogue, given you've gone and ranked Django up there with some of his best stuff. So you'll have seen Inglourious Basterds? How could you possibly say you've got a new found respect for Christoph Waltz after Django? He stole the show in Basterds and won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for it. You didn't respect him already?

Certainly, I enjoyed Waltz in Inglorious Bastards and do rate that as a good film. Although I didn't state it; the new found respect is mainly towards Foxx who initially I wasn't too sure would be a strong candidate for the leading role but he really pulled it off (I've only see him in Law Abiding Citizen, Horrible Bosses and Due Date). Back onto the topic of Waltz I'd like to say his performance as the character Dr. King Schultz was phenomenal. I'm not saying the role he played as the Nazi in Inglorious Bastards was shite or anything, as it was great. I just preferred him in Django and found it to be a standout role for the bloke.

I'd really like to rate this film up there with Tarrantinos best work, certainly in his top 5 films he's produced. Probably going for a #4 or #5.

• Paid Members
I saw it in the flicks D-Mal with my wee lad. Both of us enjoyed it more that that Dark Knight Rises nonsense. Have watched it since with the missus and it's a great way to spend a rainy night. I'm a big fan of Levitt and recently only watched the very underrated Lookout and his being the only good thing in Killshot.

The Lookout is excellent, isn't it? Watched it last week, great film. I do like JGL but he might be one of those people who is just not going to be in much that I like. Premium Rush is great fun, though. Michael Shannon is excellent in it.

Certainly, I enjoyed Waltz in Inglorious Bastards and do rate that as a good film. Although I didn't state it; the new found respect is mainly towards Foxx who initially I wasn't too sure would be a strong candidate for the leading role but he really pulled it off (I've only see him in Law Abiding Citizen, Horrible Bosses and Due Date). Back onto the topic of Waltz I'd like to say his performance as the character Dr. King Schultz was phenomenal. I'm not saying the role he played as the Nazi in Inglorious Bastards was shite or anything, as it was great. I just preferred him in Django and found it to be a standout role for the bloke.

I'd really like to rate this film up there with Tarrantinos best work, certainly in his top 5 films he's produced. Probably going for a #4 or #5.

I preferred Django to Inglourious Basterds, a much more focussed and mature piece of work. IB is really not a great film, outside of Wantz's performance. I still think QT needs an editor that will tell him where to chop shit out, though.

• Paid Members

I loved Inglourious Basterds. It's riddled with flaws but there are a whole bunch of amazing scenes in it and it ditches the pop culture trivia crap that he overdosed in Kill Bill. The scene at the dinner table with Waltz and Melanie Laurent could be his best ever single scene.

The opening scene of Inglorious is his one of, if not the, finest thing QT has ever done.

I thought Inglorious was a fine film, just needed a bit of chopping here and there.

I know some critics have a pop at Quentin for genre hopping, but I like seeing a Director at least willing to take some chances, and actually enjoy making a film and putting in stuff that he wants the audience to enjoy.

None of Tarantino's films are among my favourites, but they're all great fun and pretty dynamic. He definitely deserves his iconic status. That opening scene of Bastards is fantastic work. Just two people chatting, lasts about six days, and never gets boring.

• Paid Members

I know you don't read it anyway, but Empire constantly bum Wheatley as some kind of god of the British film industry and it's sort of put me off wanting to see any of his films. A Field In England appealed initially because it was set during the Civil War but after finding out what it's about, I'm not interested. I'd watch Sightseers for Alice Lowe but that's about it.

It doesn't surprise me at all. I don't even really see what the appeal is either. The two films I've seen from him have been hilariously serious-faced drivel, not even slightly original, and with not one redeeming character.

Theres a lot of people hyping up the 'A Field in England' showing on Film4 today mainly because its being released on Bluray, in the Cinema and on Film4 all on the same day.My main problem is that people are hyping the shit out of it because its directed by Ben Wheatley who directed the abysmal piece of shit Kill List which is the worst film Ive seen in the last few years yet keeps getting 5 star reviews off everyone. Why do people like it so much? :(

The scene at the dinner table with Waltz and Melanie Laurent could be his best ever single scene.

It probably is. But then he does the same thing again in Django, and it really drags. It's like Tarantino lucks into quality more often than it's crafted.

IB is a step up from Kill Bill, but it's still not as tight as his earlier work like Jackie Brown.

EDIT: I'm aware my view of Tarantino differs from most people's, so we don't have to go round this again ;)

Edited by Loki