DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Iv'e seen Cazale in everything else he's in and I like the guy, I didn't mean he acted constantly crazy or anything I just meant he gave that vibe of being an utterly mental who might just lose it and kill everyone at any time. I'm aware Cazale was about a billion times more understated if that's what you've all got the hump about.

Edited by Maverick

Sorry, Maverick, it was just like someone saying they'd just heard Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Life and it reminded them of the Robson and Jerome album.

• Paid Members

I watched Ghost last night on More 4. Never occured to me before, but it's basically Quantum Leap the movie.

Plus, during the infamous pot moulding scene, the clay has dissapeared from both their hands so I'm supposed to believe that they both fancied a bit of slap and tickle, then had to furiously scrape dried clay from their hands, and immediately got back in the mood right after - wouldnt happen.

Demi Moore also has the look of a 15 year old boy in that movie which either adds or detracts from her appeal whichever way you might be inclined.

• Paid Members

The Frighteners - I love this flick and remember coming out the cinema all giddy about going to Tower Records in Dublin the following day and ordering the soundtrack. It's like a movie Tim Burton would have made in the 80's before he turned cunt.

I miss Peter Jackson's fun movies, and in my opinion, The Frighteners is his best movie. I do love Braindead, and think Bad Taste is quite funny, but barring a few set pieces in King Kong and parts the Fellowship of the Ring, this was the last time he thoroughly entertained me throughout a flick.

• Paid Members
Christ, that's astounding! I love Cazale, I remember someone on here saying for his brief work, he might have the most perfect movie CV of all time.

That was me and I stand by it. It's a shame he didn't get a few more solid leading man roles though.

• Paid Members

What's the general consensus on Moon?

I watched it last night and thought it was pretty good. But far from the sci-fi classic that many had made it out to be. Clint Mansell's music is magical and the story itself is nicely done, but it was hardly wildly unpredictable and not massively original either. Plus I really didn't like Sam Rockwell! I think with a lead I actually liked then I might have loved it but considering the strength of the plaudits for it, I have to admit to being slightly disappointed by it.

I thought Rockwell was great in it. I think it was a great little piece, considering the budget. It may not have been the most original story, but it was the most original cinematic scifi film in many a long year.

It reminded me of Tarkovsky and also of Alien, so those aren't bad influences to display proudly. Duncan Jones did a decent job with Source Code, so give him a Ridley Scott style budget and see what he can do. He's talked about a Blade Runner style film, that sounds good.

Gladders, did you see the remake of Solaris? Completely overlooked, but I thought it was great. I bloody love Soderbergh and Clooney though, so I was already sold. Both Moon and Solaris are exactly the sort of film I like seeing made.

• Paid Members
What's the general consensus on Moon?

I saw it in the flicks when it first came out, not knowing shit about it, so it really had nothing to live up to with me. I enjoyed it. It was a good debut flick, and it's always a joy to hear Mansell, but yeah, agreed on Rockwell being irritating at points.

I didn't get the hype that followed after I had seen it though. It didn't have me buzzing like I was when I came out of the flicks after say, Fight Club, The Matrix or Seven (which was more special because I was underage), and it's certainly not something that Arthur Clarke or Philip Dick would have been proud to have written as some have suggested.

• Paid Members

Shit, I forgot I asked about Moon, sorry guys!

Gladders, did you see the remake of Solaris? Completely overlooked, but I thought it was great. I bloody love Soderbergh and Clooney though, so I was already sold. Both Moon and Solaris are exactly the sort of film I like seeing made.

I haven't seen the original either! They're on my list, though, I like slow sci-fi like this as a rule.

I saw Moon at the cinema before it had built up its current reputation, and I went in really not knowing what to expect. I found it to be one of the most beautiful and entrancing films I

• Paid Members

It may have been me. I saw it in an virtually empty cinema having heard nothing about it at all and it took me very much by surprise. I think I'd misread Jeff Daniels as Jeff Bridges and spent the first half an hour wondering when he was going to turn up.

• Paid Members

Yes, it was you, g! A fine film indeed, I'm really glad I spotted it rifling through Netflix.

Funnily enough, I could definitely see Bridges in Daniels' role.