DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Just watched The Country Girl. The dialogue was great at times, but the film itself was very dull and dated. You could tell they had adapted it from a play, didn't translate too well to screen, and Grace Kelly was hopelessly miscast. Bing Crosby did a decent job although he isn't that great as an actor, he mostly seems to play himself. The parts where he broke down and was a mess weren't too believable.

Watched Cape Fear on Netflix the other night. One of those films which I've been meaning to watch for donkeys years but never got round to it and always seem to miss it whenever it's shown on telly. Really enjoyed it, great film. Quite a slow build but damn the last act with Cady coming after Nick Nolte in his house and then on the boat was utterly gripping. De Niro smashes it out of the park as well, chilling performance at times. I can definitely see similarities between his character and Bray Wyatt, which I'd read was one of the inspirations for Wyatt's character.Oh, and after seeing the Simpsons parody episode so many times I was half-expecting that De Niro was going to step on endless rakes after unstrapping himself from the bottom of the car :laugh:

Edited by SteelEdge

• Paid Members

I can't help but notice Cruise is still really, really rich and successful though, even with the revelations.

The chap creeps me out but I still pay to see his movies. Can't deny his screen presence and Jack Reacher actually was a really, really good movie...
Cruise gets way too much hate. Great actor and, while undeniably bonkers, he's used his crazy for good on more than one occasion as this Cracked article reveals.

• Paid Members

i never believe Cruise is an out-there as people suggest, he might have some strange beliefs but from every account i read about people who actually work with him he seems the nicest guy on the planet, everyone loves him.

• Paid Members

Watched The Last Stand with Arnie, I thought it was great, gives me everything i'd want from that kind of film and given his age Arnie was fine I thought, decent support cast, decent story and loads of action in the final third made for a great film. Few small bits even reminded me of my favorite movie Rio Bravo.

• Moderators

Saw a film called Lost in Oblivion last night. No idea if this is famous or what, but I had never heard of it. It's from 1995 and it stars Steve Buscemi as a director of a shitty low budget film and is about the troubles he has trying to make the film.

Really low key but fucking hilarious.. simple but clever.

A real little gem - highly recommended.

Also, Peter Dinklage is in it and is great.

Saw a film called Lost in Oblivion last night. No idea if this is famous or what, but I had never heard of it. It's from 1995 and it stars Steve Buscemi as a director of a shitty low budget film and is about the troubles he has trying to make the film.Really low key but fucking hilarious.. simple but clever.A real little gem - highly recommended.Also, Peter Dinklage is in it and is great.

christ, I remeber being shown that in Media Studies at college, which was in 2001, did it as a module about postmoderism. Decent little film

Ach - disappointing. I love a good zombie movie, and this one looked big budget.

The Battery is the best zombie movie of 2013, and in many years, and it was made for $6,000.
Just watched the trailer, and that does look interesting, but I've seen quite a few "small-scale" zombie movies recently, like the excellent Stakeland, which focus on individuals' experience. And that was always the trope, since Night Of The Living Dead - a snapshot. With World War Z, I was hoping for a wide view of everything that goes down in a zombie apocalypse.

• Paid Members

Ach - disappointing. I love a good zombie movie, and this one looked big budget.

Huge fan of zombie flicks myself and a massive fan of Max Brooks' books on the subject, but the fact it is nothing like the book was a bit poxy.The trailer is better than the movie, and bar a few jaw dropping set pieces, it doesn't really have much going for it. It's essentially a PG Zombie flick that looks like it was directed by Michael Bay or Simon West and, although I can deal with the lack of blood to an extent, it was a lack of character development and tension, alongside a clusterfuck of obvious CGI that really let it down. Pitt was very likeable in it though, and deserved a lot better.

• Awards Moderator

The Battery is the best zombie movie of 2013, and in many years, and it was made for $6,000.
Just watched the trailer, and that does look interesting, but I've seen quite a few "small-scale" zombie movies recently, like the excellent Stakeland, which focus on individuals' experience. And that was always the trope, since Night Of The Living Dead - a snapshot. With World War Z, I was hoping for a wide view of everything that goes down in a zombie apocalypse.
If you haven't read the book of World War Z by Max Brooks, I can't recommend it enough - it sounds like exactly what you want. Except that it's a book and not a film, of course.