DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Hangover III - Don't see the raged hate for this at all.

I know it's marketed as a comedy, but it's actually a pretty decent thriller under it all, and an enjoyable thriller at that.

At it's best, it feels like Todd Phillips borrowed from the book of Shane Black and at it's worst it's saturated with that Ken Jeong prick...and also Ken Jeong's prick.

He's easily the worst thing in the Hangover movies and Community and is just an R-Rated Pauly Shore.

• Paid Members

I miss Gene Hackman. Just watched The Conversation and Enemy Of The State and the guy just acts everyone off the screen. The Conversation doesn't get anywhere near enough love. It compliments his shouty angry Hackman films so well and I'm gutted he didn't play more roles like it. Also it's one Of John Cazales films so everyone needs to see it.

• Paid Members

I miss Gene Hackman. Just watched The Conversation and Enemy Of The State and the guy just acts everyone off the screen. The Conversation doesn't get anywhere near enough love. It compliments his shouty angry Hackman films so well and I'm gutted he didn't play more roles like it. Also it's one Of John Cazales films so everyone needs to see it.

The Conversation is Coppola's best film. It's a masterpiece. Enemy Of The State is underrated as well, a really fun film that would get more critical love if it wasn't for Will Smith, who is great in it.Yeah, let's have some more Gene Hackman love.

Watched Cape Fear for the first time last night. Bloody good film! The last act at Nick Nolte's house then on the boat was especially tense, and De Niro put in a fantastic performance. A very creepy slow-burning thriller that I will keep an eye out for on telly so I can watch it again.

• Paid Members

Watched Bullet To The Head with Stallone, the script was probably more suited to one of Seagal's straight to dvd efforts than a big Hollywood blockbuster but i'm sure any fan of Stallone would enjoy it, he was pretty good as was his Korean co-star, plenty of mindless action and hammy acting. Nice to see Christian Slater in something even if it wasn't that big a part.

• Paid Members

I saw that at the cinema, agree it felt a bit straight to DVD but the experience of seeing it at a midnight showing in an almost empty cinema elevated it somewhat and I got quite into it. It's the first thing I've seen Jason Momoa in and he was a lot more magnetic on screen than I expected, I watched his Conan film a little while later, I'd been putting it off because I was unsure about him but it was much more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

• Paid Members

saw After Earth today, id avoided reviews but i know it's been crucified, i put that down to the fact that it was directed by M. Night Shyamalan though. I enjoyed it, it's abit of a survivalist, race against the clock type deal. It's pretty slow paced and doesn't really play as the movie you expect from the trailers but i thought Jayen Smith did a decent job considering he spends the majority of the film as the only person on screen.

Just watched Donnie Darko, which took a lot out of me. Truly astonishing film, so gripping and intriguing, last film that left me this drained and affected was probably Requiem For A Dream. The lead actor in DD gave one of the best performances I've ever seen from a young actor, that last scene with the therapist and the hypnotist was mindblowingly good.

Watched The Shawshank Redemption earlier today as well, which I loved. Trying to get through some of the 'great' movies I've not seen yet.

Edited by Endorphin

Watched Bullet To The Head with Stallone, the script was probably more suited to one of Seagal's straight to dvd efforts than a big Hollywood blockbuster but i'm sure any fan of Stallone would enjoy it, he was pretty good as was his Korean co-star, plenty of mindless action and hammy acting. Nice to see Christian Slater in something even if it wasn't that big a part.

See who the director was? Walter hill of "the warriors"... Its a decent film bullet to the head got held back almost 2 years after it was made though for some reason.