DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Watched The Hunger Games the other night. Was really impressed with it. Sure it's been done before Battle Royal, Logan's Run and Series 7 The Contenders and so on. However it was well put together and was enjoyable at the same time. I wasn't expecting the greatest film of all time and sure some of the stuff has had to be toned down from the books by all accounts, but I'm keen to see how the sequel goes to be fair.

• Awards Moderator

Saw The World's End on Sunday and enjoyed it. It's got some funny moments, I didn't quite know where the story was going to go which was nice, and it had a bit of the John Wyndhams about it. Paddy Considine and Rosamund Pike were both very good. The only real problem I had was Simon Pegg's character, who is maybe just a bit too much of an unlikeable twat in it. I can see what they were trying to go for with the character and Pegg plays it really well, but if he'd just been slightly less of a twat I'd have probably liked the film as a whole a bit more.

Last night, we went to a screening of Springsteen & I, which is one of those documentaries where all the content has been sent in by the public. I loved it as a massive Springsteen fanboy, and it just reminded me of how brilliant the man and his music are, but I don't know how well it'd go with a non-fan. There were some really good stories in there - the Danish bloke, the British factory worker who went to MSG to see him - but there were some right weirdos (American, mostly) who submitted films as well. If you like Bruce, it's a must-see, because it just reinforces all the joy, the passion, and the connection that people have with him. If you can't stand anything he's done then firstly, you'll not get much out of the film, and secondly, you have made me very sad.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and over the end credits of Springsteen & I there's an amazing supercut style thing of 'Born To Run' performances, starting in 1975 and going through his entire career, cutting at certain points in the song to the late 70s, early 80s, 1985, 90s, early 2000s, 2009 and then 2013 - and there's no drop in quality at any point during those forty years. It's a brilliant way to end the film.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

I'm 13 minutes in to Only God Forgives and I can already tell that Pitcos is going to absolutely love it. Gosling is playing EXACTLY the same character as in Drive.

• Paid Members

Nah, Brit Marling is fantastic, I really admire what she's done.

Sound Of My Voice was alright. I thought Another Earth was far better and slightly fantastic. Really looking forward to The East.

She gets her vegan food from rummaging through bins. She's a freegan*, apparently.

I think 'freegan' is middle class for 'twat'. Possibly.

I'll admit to looking forward to seeing The East. I'd always tried to avoid her before, but I might need to give Another Earth a try.

• Moderators
She gets her vegan food from rummaging through bins. She's a freegan*, apparently.

I think 'freegan' is middle class for 'twat'. Possibly

Brit Marling is fucking brilliant. The future of cinema.

But she's not a freegan; no more than De Niro's a taxi driver. She lived in a freegan community for a little while as research while writing The East.

I'm 13 minutes in to Only God Forgives and I can already tell that Pitcos is going to absolutely love it. Gosling is playing EXACTLY the same character as in Drive.

Someone else told me today he also plays the same character in the pine trees film.

• Paid Members
Saw The World's End on Sunday and enjoyed it. It's got some funny moments, I didn't quite know where the story was going to go which was nice, and it had a bit of the John Wyndhams about it. Paddy Considine and Rosamund Pike were both very good. The only real problem I had was Simon Pegg's character, who is maybe just a bit too much of an unlikeable twat in it. I can see what they were trying to go for with the character and Pegg plays it really well, but if he'd just been slightly less of a twat I'd have probably liked the film as a whole a bit more.

Last night, we went to a screening of Springsteen & I, which is one of those documentaries where all the content has been sent in by the public. I loved it as a massive Springsteen fanboy, and it just reminded me of how brilliant the man and his music are, but I don't know how well it'd go with a non-fan. There were some really good stories in there - the Danish bloke, the British factory worker who went to MSG to see him - but there were some right weirdos (American, mostly) who submitted films as well. If you like Bruce, it's a must-see, because it just reinforces all the joy, the passion, and the connection that people have with him. If you can't stand anything he's done then firstly, you'll not get much out of the film, and secondly, you have made me very sad.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and over the end credits of Springsteen & I there's an amazing supercut style thing of 'Born To Run' performances, starting in 1975 and going through his entire career, cutting at certain points in the song to the late 70s, early 80s, 1985, 90s, early 2000s, 2009 and then 2013 - and there's no drop in quality at any point during those forty years. It's a brilliant way to end the film.

"I'm his friend but he's never met me." and my favourite was the guy who didn't like Bruce Springsteen and wanted him to shorten his shows. Haha!

• Paid Members

Someone else told me today he also plays the same character in the pine trees film.

It looks like it could be like that, doesn't it?

Only God Forgives is rubbish. At least with Drive there is something of an interesting story and things make sense and it has a beginning, middle and end. This film is just slooooooooooooooooooooow, then some violence, then Gosling staring, then more violence, then Kristin Scott Thomas swearing, a slow shot down a corridor, a few shots of fuck all, more violence and then it ends. Looks and sounds lovely. But it's crap.

Gosling is well and truly typecasted now. Need a closed mouthed border line retard and he's your man, which is a shame because the first film I saw him play that role was Lars and the Real Girl which I really like. He's the kind of actor that can elevate by the numbers romantic fluff to enjoyable as well but he seems to dodge those films. If I didn't have jungle fever for Idris Elba he'd definitely be at the top of my man crush list as well.