DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Just got back from watching The Worlds End. Fucking hell it was shit. I love Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz and was really looking forward to this. I ignored all write ups, trailers, spoilers and went in really excited. I came out feeling like I'd been robbed. It has neither the charm nor the humor of SOTD or HF, coupled with an unoriginal story that was poorly executed it was just so bad from start to finish. Although SOTD and HF are different films, they still felt one in the same. This felt very distant from those two and doesn't deserve to held in the same category with it's slapstick humor and Carry On esque one liners. To use a wrestling phrase, I felt Pegg and Edgar Wright phoned this in to, I assume, cash in on it's predecessors. The only person I felt was at least connected to the previous Cornetto films was Nick Frosts character. That's the only positive thing I can say about the film. Bitterly disappointing.

• Paid Members
Just got back from watching The Worlds End. Fucking hell it was shit. I love Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz and was really looking forward to this. I ignored all write ups, trailers, spoilers and went in really excited. I came out feeling like I'd been robbed. It has neither the charm nor the humor of SOTD or HF, coupled with an unoriginal story that was poorly executed it was just so bad from start to finish. Although SOTD and HF are different films, they still felt one in the same. This felt very distant from those two and doesn't deserve to held in the same category with it's slapstick humor and Carry On esque one liners. To use a wrestling phrase, I felt Pegg and Edgar Wright phoned this in to, I assume, cash in on it's predecessors. The only person I felt was at least connected to the previous Cornetto films was Nick Frosts character. That's the only positive thing I can say about the film. Bitterly disappointing.

O no, i was looking forward to this, might wait for the dvd then

Adding to The White Men Can't Jump talk Link

The list is essential reading, as is the accompanying interview with Kubrick's confidant and executive producer Jan Harlan, who has become the chief spokesperson for Kubrick's legacy. You learn, for example, that in addition to the carefully orchestrated spectacles of Max Ophuls, he loved John Landis's An American Werewolf in London, W.C. Fields' The Bank Dick and Ron Shelton's White Men Can't Jump, and that, according to his daughter, Katharina, "he hated The Wizard of Oz."

Always great finding out what are directors favourites and hates. Like finding out Bergman was a fan of Ocean's 11

O no, i was looking forward to this, might wait for the dvd then

I went to see it on Tuesday and really liked it, but I went in not expecting too much from it so maybe that helped (even though I found Shaun and Hot Fuzz to be great films). I think that the serious tone it has at times can have a negative effect though.

• Awards Moderator

After the talk of it in this thread, I was going to use my morning off to watch Crazy Stupid Love, which I'd recorded off Sky over Christmas. But because we got rid of Sky last month, it won't let me unless I resubscribe... which is a bugger, because I'd also planned, at some point, to watch Serpico, The French Connection, Moonrise Kingdom, the new Total Recall and License To Kill, all of which I am now forbidden to do unless I pay up again.

• Paid Members

Watched The Heat which was great fun. It's not The Departed but entertaining enough for you not to really care. McCarthy is just a force of nature and has such great chemistry with Bullock who is surprisingly good in this.

Got Dredd on DVD. It really is as great as everyone has said.

-Never rated Karl Urban as an actor, but he is fantastic here. Easily one of the best comic book movie performances I've seen, and maybe even more impressive considering he has to act with the majority of his face covered. His "Dredd voice" was basically what Christian Bale was probably going for in the Batman movies, only he doesn't sound terrible.

-looks gorgeous and the neo-goth set pieces are great.

-I like how we were spared the whole "hero's big personal journey" most of these movies hit you over the head with. Dredd did change a bit by the end, but they didn't feel to draw a huge amount of attention to it or make it a big deal.

-loved that they didn't water it down to a PG13 (or 12A) rating. Gave it an edge.

Has to be one of top 5 comic book films ever. Only complaint I have is that the DVD extras are a bit lacking. I was hoping for a commentary. Maybe they're saving it for the special edition, I don't know.

Edited by Smith

-I like how we were spared the whole "hero's big personal journey" most of these movies hit you over the head with. Dredd did change a bit by the end, but they didn't feel to draw a huge amount of attention to it or make it a big deal.

That

Edited by smp

• Paid Members

I just showed my eldest (who is 6) My Neighbour Totoro for the first time and now I'm probably going to end up hating it because she wants to watch it again right away. And will want to watch it every day from here on in.

It's still an absolutely wonderful film, by the way, but that goes without saying.

Anyone seen Stoker?

It's emptier than ebb's head. Biggest disappointment of the year, maybe of the last few years. Speaking of, 2013 hasn't really been all that great, has it? Tons of excellent music but not so much found on the silver screen. Stoker, as heartbreaking as it is to admit, has absolutely nothing to say. It looks nice, sounds lovely and has some really strong performances but it's all for naught. Just incredibly basic and unoriginal. The ending is an absolute insult that I hope was tacked-on in a moment of madness because if not, then I don't know how the script was so highly regarded.