DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Turns out the reviewers were right about Baywatch.

On the positive side, there are a couple of laughs early doors and the woman and men look great with very little on.

On the negative, there are only a couple of laughs in a near 2 hour comedy film. All the self aware jokes were mostly woeful too.

The new CJ is incredible, however. Woof.

On 29 May 2017 at 11:18 AM, johnnyboy said:

The Red Turtle was entirely the other end of the spectrum.  No explosions, no fanfare, and no dialogue.  It's a Ghibli co-production, so don't go in expecting Totoro style animation, but it's exceptional.  It's very much a film that happens to be animated, rather than a cartoon for kids, so I'm not entirely sure how younger kids (sub 10) would cope.  The blu-ray is up on Amazon to pre-order, in what may be a misprice at £8, so I've stuck that in too.  The Picture House chain and art indies are probably your best bet as there was literally a solitary Odeon and a solitary Cineworld booking for it nationwide when I was booking up.  It's not something that needs to be seen on a bigscreen, but seen with a lack of distraction, which is far easier for me to achieve in a cinema than my front room.

Thanks for the heads on that price for The Red Turtle pre-order. Managed to get mine in before the price shot up to £16.99. 

I watched an 80's Sci-Fi flick called The Hidden last night, wasn't expecting too much but it was great fun. It's Kyle MacLachlan playing an FBI agent chasing a killer who switches bodies.. sound familiar? But nah, it's nothing like that show, it is full of some great action tho and has a superb soundtrack.

• Paid Members

I love it! Super little twist on the buddy cop film, great ending too.

On a similar note I watched Dark Angel today, the Dolph Lundgren one. From the same director who made Stone Cole and Action Jackson, so obviously it was great, but even more so because it's about a heroin fuelled alien duel, who couldn't like that.

I'll stick that one on my list, I've got Paris Trout lined up for later as I was looking for something with Dennis Hopper playing the cunt after watching Blue Velvet again. Waterworld was an option too, I'm one of the weirdos that still enjoys it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I'll stick that one on my list, I've got Paris Trout lined up for later as I was looking for something with Dennis Hopper playing the cunt after watching Blue Velvet again. Waterworld was an option too, I'm one of the weirdos that still enjoys it.

Will be interested to hear what you think about Paris Trout. It's....memorable. 

• Awards Moderator

Just got back from Wonder Woman myself and quite enjoyed it too. Definitely the best film of this DC universe. Gal Gadot could be an actual goddess and I wouldn't be surprised.

Homecoming trailer was excellent, got me very excited for that one. Justice League does nothing for me though.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed Wonder Woman for the most part, but it's still nowhere near the standard of the Marvel movies. Gal Gadot looks the part but I thought she was a bit wooden in places, and her character was very one dimensional for much of the first hour. I might be bring a harsh as I suppose that is partly by necessity and it certainly picks up a bit after that

The villains are the big weak point for me. I liked the choices they went for, but they felt a bit underdeveloped, and the big reveal felt a bit anti-climactic and predictable. I also found myself annoyed by how similar the climactic battle scene was from a visual standpoint to BvS, and Suicide Squad. Could have used a bit more variety there.

Still, very enjoyable and had a few clever jokes, plus the WW1 setting made it seem a bit different from most recent comic book movies, and it was very entertaining overall. Plus it shits on any other recent DC film by some way.