Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I'm with NorthSea there on Wade Barrett. I mean, he's alright. But he's absolutely mid-card at best, not main event like many suggest and never in a thousand million years is he the next big thing, the next man. I don't particularly mind him but he doesn't really do anything for me. I'm fairly certain many rate him so much and make claims of should be main eventing and all that shiz because of the English factor.

His music is definitely shit, his tatoos are shit, his tights are pretty shit and he's an ugly bastard...and not in a good wrestling ugly kind of way.

• Paid Members
His music is definitely shit, his tattoos are shit, his tights are pretty shit and he's an ugly bastard...and not in a good wrestling ugly kind of way.

The one on his left arm, where he had the Goldberg tribal band covered up, looks absolutely shite. However, the more recent Manic Street Preachers tattoo on his right shoulder is badass.

Just read the Raw review on Wrestlezone, they moan about Miz losing to Ryback because he's IC champ and he shouldn't have been pinned yet on the next page theymoan that Sheamus never loses, no contradiction there

The only thing worth reading on there is Mark Madden and even he's a bit creepy when he goes on about Brooke Adams' arse

Barrett could be a great heel, but he's not going to get over in a hurry winning squash matches against jobbers. He's got good mic skills. He's good in the ring. I think his new finisher is ok, but it lacks a certain something - if he won the WWE title with it, you'd be fairly underwhelmed. I'm trying to think of an upper mid-carder he could get a rub off, but struggling... Barrett lovers, help.

Oh, and of course him being English makes me rate him more. Why is this a problem?

• Paid Members
I'm trying to think of an upper mid-carder he could get a rub off, but struggling...

They don't seem to have upper mid-carders any more. You're either midcard, or you're a main eventer. The only real exceptions it seems to me are Ziggler who is perennially "nearly there" and Rey Mysterio who while he hasn't been really pushed as champion or a contender for a year or so (mostly due to his injuries) wouldn't look out of place in main events. But then, everybody gets to beat everybody near enough these days so nothing means anything. When Barratt pinned Jericho cleanly on Raw after SummerSlam 2010, that might have been a big deal. But everyone was so used to Jericho losing to the Kofi Kingstons of the world, it meant relatively little.

So if Barratt went over say a Mysterio, it wouldn't mean a thing. There is no rub left. Beating Cena would be a big deal for Wade, only because Cena is a guy they've allowed to make beating him a big deal. But then, it didn't really do anything for Tensai did it? Or going back further, going over the Undertaker didn't propel Kozlov to stardom either. In conclusion, beating a particular individual doesn't really do anything to advance the other guy all that much any more if the victor hasn't been presented as a big deal already. It's all about the overall presentation, you can't just say "this guy pinned John Cena, he's a star now." It doesn't work like that any more.

His music is definitely shit, his tattoos are shit, his tights are pretty shit and he's an ugly bastard...and not in a good wrestling ugly kind of way.

The one on his left arm, where he had the Goldberg tribal band covered up, looks absolutely shite. However, the more recent Manic Street Preachers tattoo on his right shoulder is badass.

The fact he has a Richie-era MSP tattoo immediately makes Mr. Barrett worthy of at least five WrestleMania main events.

They don't seem to have upper mid-carders any more. You're either midcard, or you're a main eventer. The only real exceptions it seems to me are Ziggler who is perennially "nearly there" and Rey Mysterio who while he hasn't been really pushed as champion or a contender for a year or so (mostly due to his injuries) wouldn't look out of place in main events. But then, everybody gets to beat everybody near enough these days so nothing means anything. When Barratt pinned Jericho cleanly on Raw after SummerSlam 2010, that might have been a big deal. But everyone was so used to Jericho losing to the Kofi Kingstons of the world, it meant relatively little.

So if Barratt went over say a Mysterio, it wouldn't mean a thing. There is no rub left. Beating Cena would be a big deal for Wade, only because Cena is a guy they've allowed to make beating him a big deal. But then, it didn't really do anything for Tensai did it? Or going back further, going over the Undertaker didn't propel Kozlov to stardom either. In conclusion, beating a particular individual doesn't really do anything to advance the other guy all that much any more if the victor hasn't been presented as a big deal already. It's all about the overall presentation, you can't just say "this guy pinned John Cena, he's a star now." It doesn't work like that any more.

Fair points, I think I've got my definition of getting a rub slightly muddled. Like you say, beating someone doesn't mean anything because they'll just do a rematch on the next show when the other guy wins. He needs a feud with a fairly over face. People are looking for a reason to dislike him, he just needs a little push, an actual bloody storyline instead of isolated nothing matches.

On a different note, yes, the Bryan/Kane skits are very well done and funny. But do they need to repeat every single one in its own segment on Smackdown? That's a good 15 minutes they could be using to do skits or promos for some of the SD roster, for people who need to get over like, I dunno...Wade Barrett :unsure:

• Paid Members
On a different note, yes, the Bryan/Kane skits are very well done and funny. But do they need to repeat every single one in its own segment on Smackdown? That's a good 15 minutes they could be using to do skits or promos for some of the SD roster, for people who need to get over like, I dunno...Wade Barrett :unsure:

Are WWE still taping Superstars matches accross the two tapings (IE a couple at Raw, a couple at Smackdown)? It appears that way to me, although it's now become less obvious as they're using all-white (or currently, white-pink-white) ropes for all the Superstars matches, instead of the obvious white-to-blue change you used to get.

I find it very odd that, since Raw went three hours they're doing more of this kind of stuff on Smackdown (at least one segment a week is now taken up with a lengthy main angle from Raw recap, which sometimes stretches to showing the whole 15-minute or so segment from Raw in it's entirety) as if it's a concious effort to shorten the Smackdown taping, but still splitting the Superstars/Saturday Morning Slam taping accross the two.

Given how much 'first-run' footage there was on Smackdown this week, I'd be surprised if the Smackdown taping hit much more than 2 hours, while the Raw one must be pushing 4 and a bit (the last Raw taping I went to was around the 4-hour mark anyway, back in the 2-hour Raw days)