Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
Oh, and of course him being English makes me rate him more. Why is this a problem?

Um, who said it was a problem? I said that's probably why some rate him more and you've confirmed that.

On the subject of the Raw skits we are seeing more of, character development and the amount of TV WWE have each week, I'd absolutely love WWE to have a purely character development driven show like TNAs reaction or even, bring back Tuesday Night Titans.

Um, who said it was a problem? I said that's probably why some rate him more and you've confirmed that.

On the subject of the Raw skits we are seeing more of, character development and the amount of TV WWE have each week, I'd absolutely love WWE to have a purely character development driven show like TNAs reaction or even, bring back Tuesday Night Titans.

Fair play, re: Barrett.

They're plugging this new show over here, WWE Main Event, airing for 1 hour on a wednesday. Are they showing it in the UK? The leader for the first show is a champion vs champion match between Punk and Sheamus. Maybe they'll use it to do a bit more character stuff for the mid-carders, but I somehow doubt it.

Are WWE still taping Superstars matches accross the two tapings (IE a couple at Raw, a couple at Smackdown)?

They have been, but as of next week it will only be recorded at Raw

I find it very odd that, since Raw went three hours they're doing more of this kind of stuff on Smackdown (at least one segment a week is now taken up with a lengthy main angle from Raw recap, which sometimes stretches to showing the whole 15-minute or so segment from Raw in it's entirety) as if it's a concious effort to shorten the Smackdown taping, but still splitting the Superstars/Saturday Morning Slam taping accross the two.

Saturday Morning Slam has only ever been done at Smackdown, never Raw. I'd suspect the actual recording of an episode of Smackdown has been shortened recently in anticipation for The Main Event, but also because of SMS.

Given how much 'first-run' footage there was on Smackdown this week, I'd be surprised if the Smackdown taping hit much more than 2 hours, while the Raw one must be pushing 4 and a bit (the last Raw taping I went to was around the 4-hour mark anyway, back in the 2-hour Raw days)

There were 6 matches before Smackdown even started last week. So still plenty of non Smackdown stuff. I can't imagine your average Raw "taping" goes on for much more than 3 and a half hours, even now.

Edited by The Dart

Vintage Collection had so much promise this week with the game show stipulation theme. I enjoyed most of the matches, but teasing the Triple Cage and King of the Road matches and then delivering Howard Finkel and Harvey Whippleman in a Tuxedo match and the HHH/Godwinn Hog Pen match is just not on.

• Paid Members

The thing with Barrett is he's a really great talker who seems to get his own character and is only getting better in the ring. I want to see him feud wioth sheamus and them have their mean guy match again. It's great fun

• Paid Members

He was very over in 2010 and that went tits up. If you bring someone in as one thing, establish him in that role and all of a sudden bring him back as a bare knuckle fighter, he's not likely to get over. You are trying to re-educate the fans on a character who's been around for a while, which is always hard to do. In 2010 he was a character. Now he's a gimmick. Like the Repo Man. To people willing to forget his years of fucking about in the uppercard and failing at every turn in main events he's this new hard man person. To the regular Raw and Smackdown viewer, he's just Wade Barrett with a beard. Its going to be hard to delete how shite he's been portrayed over the last few years.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Interesting Wade Barrett comments. I agree with most of the negative ones. He's great in vignettes and he talks really well. I said during the nexus stuff though that I didn't think he was a good enough wrestler to carry a main event feud and I still think it's the case.

I think Pity is right about the long matches. The company could put him in shorter matches to establish him as someone who is above the likes of Ryder, Kidd and Gabriel. This would also hide some of his short comings. Personally I just don't think he's interesting enough in the ring to have 15-25 minute main event matches. The booking hasn't helped him. They cut the legs off Nexus and The Corre were shite. He's constantly got crap music. Despite looking bad-ass in thos vignettes, he just wanders around in trunks looking as dull as ever. Apart from that stupid cloak thing.

And I've said this numerous times. "Barrett Barrage" has got to be up there with the worst slogans/catchphrases they've ever had.

• Paid Members
He was very over in 2010 and that went tits up. If you bring someone in as one thing, establish him in that role and all of a sudden bring him back as a bare knuckle fighter, he's not likely to get over. You are trying to re-educate the fans on a character who's been around for a while, which is always hard to do. In 2010 he was a character. Now he's a gimmick. Like the Repo Man. To people willing to forget his years of fucking about in the uppercard and failing at every turn in main events he's this new hard man person. To the regular Raw and Smackdown viewer, he's just Wade Barrett with a beard. Its going to be hard to delete how shite he's been portrayed over the last few years.

To be honest I'm not sure it'll be that bad, he just needs to be in a proper storyline. He's too established and doesn't need to deal with the yoshi tatsus of the world. If he wants to do this gun for hire thing they should just do it with him rather than pissing about waiting

Also, he wasn't exactly being pushed badly when he left. He'd only recently pushed Randy Orton down some stairs and been feuding with Sheamus. They were in the process of rebuilding him

• Paid Members

I agree completely. He doesn't need squash matches at the moment, everyone knows who he is. Him having matches with jobbers doesn't accomplish anything. Barrett is a great talker so they just need to give him a storyline where he is the driving force and does alot of promos and angles.

Ideally, as so many people are floundering around doing fuck all at the moment is to come up with a big mid-card storyline that can involve about 8-10 guys in its (stables, brawls, odd-couple partnerships) and get everyone interracting with eachother in a way that actually means something. There's alot of talented guys who have been doing nothing for years, give them all a storyline to play with and it'll do them all a world of good.