NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

I'm not a big Mauro fan; the forced pop-culture references and constant hammering of his catchphrase don't appeal to me at all. I still believe Micheal Cole would do a much better job, based purely off his performance at the inaugural UK tournament. Yeah, he's shite on RAW but is so much better when he hasn't got Vince yamping down his ear or he's trying to manage a three or four man booth.

• Awards Moderator

Highlight this week: the HEIGHT Montez Ford got on that Frog Splash!

Also worth noting: them getting Deuce and Domino’s outfits out of storage for Metro Brothers. And the fact that you can already tell the War Raiders’ Viking thing is not getting translated well when they move up to mains.

Lowlight this week: Dijakovic and Jaoude did not seem to be on the same wavelength at all for me. Very underwhelming. And I really hoped this would be the week Keith Lee clicked for me... but nope. Still not seeing it.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Keith Lee vs Ohno was super disappointing to me. Would have been happy with a short and explosive bout of them hitting each other really hard but it felt plodding and disjointed and just not good despite a couple of cool power spots. I'd have thought this would be a a good combination but they didn't seem to gel. I'm not really clicking with Keith Lee either. I think he does have some charisma about him and I do want to like him but he's not delivered much as yet. Also I don't know what I'd do about his attire but the super tight shorts are not a great look given his oddly top-heavy frame.

Dijakovic vs Jaoude was also quite dull. I actually enjoyed the opening exchanges quite a bit but then they seemed to stay in that "feeling out process" stage for the whole match until they went to the finishing spots. I know some folks seem high on Dijakovic but I think he's pretty shit so far. "TIME TO FLY" and "FEAST YOUR EYES" are both lame as hell. He has that Cesar Bononi thing about him where he looks like he's been Tom Hanksed into his giant body and doesn't fully understand how to control it. Jaoude has a cool look but I'd prefer him to go back to the white tights. Has a Jinsei Shinzaki/Ryu from Streetfighter feel to it.

Street Profits are fun. Montez Ford is a freak of nature. Forgotten Sons are shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I'm guessing The Metro Brothers forgot their kit and had to go into the lost property box. They should cosplay as a different tag team every time they appear now.

Enjoyed the Belair/Baszler confrontation a lot. Belair was nervous and her voice was wavering a bit but I still think she held her own well and the crowd was behind it too. Came out of the segment looking strong and like she'd outsmarted the heels, as opposed to EC3 getting predictably stomped out by Undisputed Era last week. But yeah, big fan of both performers and I'm very much into this pairing. 2019 jut started but Bianca has 20/20 vision when it comes to the NXT title. Mauro writing her promos it seems.

Gargano vs Carillo was fun stuff. I hope Carillo's 205 Live move doesn't permanently remove him from the NXT jobber pool as he is tremendous and I'd miss his team with Mendoza a lot.

The War Raiders vignette walked the line between cringe-worthy and awesome for me. I think it landed on awesome mostly because of the shot of them where you could only see the side profile of Hanson's beard in front of the fire. Looked bad ass. But yeah I can't see it translating to the main roster. Seems too Ascension-y to have a chance. I'm becoming less and less concerned with how my NXT favourites fare on the main roster though. I like to pretend they stop existing when they leave, especially if they go to RAW. I'll just enjoy them while I have them. Looking forward to the tag title match.

Genuinely excited for The Dream's appearance next week. I love how NXT consistently keeps you posted on what's coming next week/two weeks from now etc. It's such a simple thing and it's necessitated by the one hour format but I think it's a huge benefit to the product that they do it. Throwing on a vignette to remind you a performer exists is a great device too and one I wish the main roster would use more. It lets you feature them on TV without over-exposing them, and over-exposure is such a massive, massive issue for me with the main roster product. Again it's necessitated by the restrictions of the one hour TV format but it ends up being a positive.

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Also worth noting: them getting Deuce and Domino’s outfits out of storage for Metro Brothers

47 minutes ago, JLM said:

I'm guessing The Metro Brothers forgot their kit and had to go into the lost property box. They should cosplay as a different tag team every time they appear now.

The Metro Brothers have always dressed like that. They’ve been on nxt a few times now. 

• Paid Members

Signed up to the network again for Rumble season and I realised how much I miss Shayna. Man, she's fucking boss. Are the other horsewomen any good, or shit at the moment but a work in progress?

Didn't raise Belair had turned face. Was skeptical but she seems good in the role. She's always impressed me so it's good to see her getting a push.

Takeover doesn't look as strong on paper as recent efforts though.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Takeover doesn't look as strong on paper as recent efforts though.

Belair going for the belt is all I needed.

Belair hasn't turned, there's a section of the audience that have got behind her, but she hasn't changed.

I feel like every Takeover we say that it isn't strong on paper and then rave about it after the fact. It's become almost a strategy now. I feel like they build stuff just enough so that you know it's there and then just let the talent off the hook at the show. Undersell so you can overperform. 

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Are the other horsewomen any good, or shit at the moment but a work in progress?

Apparently officials are quite high on Jessamyn Duke. She seems to be the more natural in the ring of the two.
Marina shows decent personality but is still really ropey in the ring from what I have seen.

Still both very green but have been working with the likes of Io Shirai and Mia Yim on live events so that should help their development. 

I’d fallen way behind on my NXT viewing, so have used this day off from work to catch up:

* Woman’s Four Way #1 Contenders - enjoyable enough, and Bianca Belair was probably the best option for the win. Too early for Sharai or Yim and Evans is off to the main roster

* Forgotten Sons are fucking woeful. Absolutely reek of 2005-era Smackdown

* UE vs Heavy Machinery was good, but I reckon HM are as good as they’re going to get. How well they’ll do on main roster I think will boil down to how Vince takes to Otis Dozovic. If Vince takes to him, they could be a fun midcard act. If he doesn’t take to him, they’ll be either gone within the year or tucked away on Main Event.

* UE I reckon are coming up in April, and I’d like them to maybe do some sort of debut at Wrestlemania rather than RAW the next night. They’re not developing in NXT, they’re just there to satisfy the workrate pervs. NXT needs them more than they need NXT.

Recap show apart from Riddle vs Ohno, so was able to get done with this in 20 minutes. I think I’ll enjoy Matt Riddle so long as I don’t watch any of his interviews/promos. And if Ohno is going to do anything about his weight, they might as well stick him in a singlet and make him a modern day Earthquake were he just uses his bulk for offence, like he did in this match

* Is Front Row Sign Gorl the new Izzy?

* Much like Heavy Machiney, I think Nikki Cross’ Callum has come at the right time and she’s gone as far as she’s going to in NXT. Decent match with Belair in what I imagine was her sendoff and I reckon she’ll end up on Smackdown, not necessarily with the rest of Sanity though, although putting her with and making her the focus of the group might rejuvenate them at the same time.

* I’m liking this pairing of Barthel & Aichner a lot, although they need stop calling them the European Union. You just know that if WOS got a second series (it won’t) they’d have them as heel tag team post-Brexit. Aichner nearly launching Pink Tights (didn’t catch his name) into the lights was quite a sight.

* How long has Angelo Dawkins been in developmental now? When the split the Street Profits, which will happen, he is completely fucked because there is only one star in that team.

* Keith Lee’s new beard makes him look like Anthony Anderson, or that he  could play a young Uncle Phil in a Fresh Prince-prequel, that’s all I’ve taken from him so far, but it’s still early days.

* Still not into the War Raiders or their Viking shtick at all. Having a big beard does not a Viking make

* As much as I’d love for Velveteen Dreamto win the belt at Takeover in April and have a run with it till the next year, I can’t help but feel like he’s maybe turning up in the Royal Rumble and then called up proper after Wrestlemania.

* Ohno vs Lee - I’ve seen far worse, but it was a very plodding affair that didn’t do anything for either man. Instantly forgettable