NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

20 minutes ago, Loki said:

Mia Yim had an odd qualification match with some huge lady I've not seen before. I do like the random people that pop up in NXT, it makes it feel (as indeed it is) like part of a larger wrestling world.

Reina Gonzalez - she’s been in both Mae Young Classic tournaments. I skipped that match because I don’t like Mia Yim and think Gonzalez is shit.

Agreed on Heavy Machinery needing to cover up, especially Otis. Him running to the ring and his jiggling was hypnotic  (like a lava-lamp), and if Vince ever sees him like that he’s fucked

Increasible how Tyler Breeze can come back and it be like the last 3 years have never happened. Only thing that got me in that match was a line from Ranallo, who I think has been hanging around with Nigel outside of work-

“they’re both on the same page, just different books” 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Rare for me to watch NXT unless I've read about it in here and something has piqued my interest. It was a steady show but everything felt like it was going somewhere. Either very specifically, like the Richochet open challenge for this week, the Black/Gargano cage match for next week and the women's #1 contender match for the week after or loosely with the progression in the EC3/Heavy Machinery/Undisputed angle or the challenge from the two women to the two MMA lasses. They rarely waste a segment.

I liked Heavy Machinery running out looking like they did. mostly because it might give Vinny Mac a heart attack if he sees it.Fair play, that huge lad does a good worm. My little peeve is the name The Mighty which is really shit.

Who is this lad who is coming next week?

I've come to the realisation that I just don't like cage matches, at least the way WWE does them.  Being able to win by escaping the cage always makes for some really awkward and kayfabe-breaking moments, and this was no exception.

Why would a face want to climb out and escape?  The point of a cage match is to finally trap the dastardly heel in an enclosed space and get revenge.

Why would a heel not just climb out at the first opportunity?  They should have been dragged kicking and screaming into this situation.

We had both those situations here, a heel having the opportunity to leave but deciding not to, and a face trying to escape.  And then you always get those awkward bits when they're holding each other up on the top rope or on the top of the cage, and it's really fake.

The rule should be - win by pinball or submission.  If you climb out or leave via the door, you LOSE. 

Anyway, the match was... ok, but if I'm honest I'm a bit bored of these three in the main event now.  2019 needs to be the Year of the Dream in NXT. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Loki said:

I've come to the realisation that I just don't like cage matches, at least the way WWE does them.  Being able to win by escaping the cage always makes for some really awkward and kayfabe-breaking moments, and this was no exception.

I think if the theory is that you have to debilitate your opponent to the point where you can climb over, then it sort of works. WWF cage matches have almost always been designed to be PG so the escape thing harks back to that.

Decent show again. Simple stuff. Introduced Dijakovic with a strong squash. Strong squash to showcase Heavy Machinery. Good main event. I really like Riddle's promo too.

12 hours ago, Loki said:

Why would a face want to climb out and escape?  The point of a cage match is to finally trap the dastardly heel in an enclosed space and get revenge.

Why would a heel not just climb out at the first opportunity?  They should have been dragged kicking and screaming into this situation.

We had both those situations here, a heel having the opportunity to leave but deciding not to, and a face trying to escape.  And then you always get those awkward bits when they're holding each other up on the top rope or on the top of the cage, and it's really fake.

The rule should be - win by pinball or submission.  If you climb out or leave via the door, you LOSE. 

Anyway, the match was... ok, but if I'm honest I'm a bit bored of these three in the main event now.  2019 needs to be the Year of the Dream in NXT. 

I think you should look at each individual match on a case by case basis. If you look at royal rumble 2012 the triple threat cage match between Big Show, Mark Henry and Daniel Bryan, I think the escape option works really well as the idea behind that particular match was it'll be Bryan against two monsters "how's he gonna do it" and I vividly remember the last moment of the match big show grabbing Bryan as he's daggleing out of the cage only for the lactic acid to build up and drops Bryan making him the winner. I agree with you on the sence it can makes things difficult look at Greatest Royal Rumble reigns v lesnar. That botched finish.

A hidden gem cage match I liked with the escape option was no way out 2005 JBL V BIG SHOW barbed wire at the top of the cage.

So in the idealistic principle a modern cage match may sound silly however I guess the change just comes with the evolution of pro wrestling.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, I like root beer said:

A hidden gem cage match I liked with the escape option was no way out 2005 JBL V BIG SHOW barbed wire at the top of the cage.

Fucking awful finish. Total cop out.

- “The theme music, reminiscent of their fellow Horsewoman Shayna Bayzler”, Its not reminiscent of it Nigel, it’s Bayzler’s theme. Duke & Schaffir did well in their first TV match though

- Good squash debut for Dijakovic, and he’s a big unit too, with Lars heading to the main roster he can fill that gap nicely.

- “Later tonight, the ring will be surrounded by 15ft of Steel”, not if you’ve only got 15ft of it! That’s not even going round one side.

- someone mentioned not far back, but if they don’t have Aleister Black come out in the corpse-paint at a Takeover before he goes to the main roster they’ve missed a trick

- OK Cage match, but fuck off if all this leads to a DIY reunion. I’m guessing Gargano will somehow be added to the Takeover Title match and they do the match they were going to do in Brooklyn

Big Show/JBL was the biggest disappointment in my wrestling watching life!!

Always been a hardcore wrestling fan, so when Teddy Long announced a barbed wire cage i knew I was ordering that fucking shit show. They barely used the barbed wire at all, Bradshaw may have got a little cat-scratch and then the crap finish. At least my mum paid for it, but I had to do extra chores for that one! 

Anyway yeah, not much of a WWE cage match fan either. There have been some great ones such as Matt Hardy v Edge, but generally I'm not so keen on the formula and it does nothing to enhance my excitement these days. Maybe in the relatively small period they were  having regular bloodbaths in WWE they would feel more like an NWA style  match, but PG style? rarely grabs me. Even Owen/Bret I'm not that fond of even though I love both guys. I get what they were going for with the scratching clawing type of scramble two brothers would have, but it just got repetitive after the 83rd escape attempt spot. The post-match was better.

Edited by sj5522