NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members
On 1/11/2019 at 12:10 PM, tiger_rick said:

Can't we have a Mauro megathread?

One week on from this post Rick. Can you confirm you haven't woken up at any point this week  with a horses head in your bed courtesy of @Devon Malcolm for suggesting a megathread. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

One week on from this post Rick. Can you confirm you haven't woken up at any point this week  with a horses head in your bed courtesy of @Devon Malcolm for suggesting a megathread. 

He kicked the door in but I had Fish Fingers and McCain's smiley faces on the go so he just stayed for his tea.

I liked the Metro Brothers!  Fun look, and one of them bumps really well.  I also really like Jaoude.  Dijakovic is getting the Baron Corbin push, but I actually think he's got more potential than Corbin.  He really needs a gimmick though, his look and character are very bland.

The class of War Raiders/Keith Lee/Riddle continues to disappoint.  They all seem to have brought their Indie gimmicks with them and they don't work, for me, in WWE.  I'm happy that NXT have decided to let workers keep their real/Indie names BUT that doesn't mean you can't create something better for them.  Undisputed Era helped cement all four of those guys.  Roode got a new persona and a new finisher.  So far I don't see this current crop really stepping up; perhaps that's why Heavy Machinery and Lars got the nod before them.

2019 looks to be the year of Dream and Bianca Belair, and I'm all for that.  Two top homegrown talents, both should get lengthy title runs this year.  Reform DIY and send them off to Smackdown, I think they've done all they can in NXT.  Keep Black around until he develops a personality.

Even in quiet weeks, NXT is in a different league from Raw and Smackdown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Ever since they stupidly turned Gargano heel I've found myself falling behind with NXT's regular show. This is the second Takeover in a row where I've had to binge through tonnes of episodes in the final few days in order to catch up in time. I just don't care about the show or the characters like I used to. However, the lineup for tonight's show looks absolutely stellar and something I saw posted on Twitter had reignited my imagination. Someone has suggested that the end-goal will be Gargano turning on Ciampa after he gains his trust, eventually exposing that his entire heel run has been a ruse. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. I dunno. But the idea of Gargano and Ciampa buddying up at the end of tonight's show, only for them to recreate the original turn, this time with Gargano throwing Ciampa into the wall, fills me with excitement.

diy.gif

Failing that, just have Gargano come out of the shower at the end of the show, filmed at their home, with Candice revealing that the last six months has been a dream.

Edited by Supremo

Just watching the Takeover pre show and this Sarah Schreiber is all over it with backstage segments, 4 so far after 20 minutes, every single one she’s either forgotten her lines or slurred her words.

Is she new?  And if not has she always been this bad at interviewing? 

• Paid Members

Takeover was a good show that would've been a great show if they'd put Ricochet and Gargano on last rather than Ciampa and Black. For whatever reason, they couldn't get the crowd with the main event, which harmed the match a tonne and ended the show on an anticlimax. On the other hand, Ricochet and Gargano was the business and had the crowd eating out of the palm of their hand. An amazing match, even if they weren't able to recreate the Ospreay/Ibushi Hurricarana spot quite as smoothly. Watching that match, all I want to now see is Rey Mysterio vs. Ricochet. In the shape he's currently in, moving and coming up with innovative spots like he's in his early twenties, I think Mysterio could work magic with Ricochet.

Great opener, too. Those Undisputed lads have turned the fast-paced opening match into an art form.

Khassius Ohno can fuck off though. His tubby arse nearly killed the crowd dead.

It looks like Ricochet, Dream and Black did some type of curtain call after the show went off the air, so there's a good shot those three might be coming up for Mania season.

image.thumb.png.10a416f8ee10d43a09d8ba08c0d13917.png

Imagine Mysterio, Andrade and Ricochet in a three way. Holy shit.

Edited by Supremo

After the excellent North America title match the crowd just died which added to my tiredness did affect my enjoyment of the main event. It's the first time I've watched a live one in many a sparrows moon and I wish I'd gone to bed after that match. I still don't like Riddle or Ohno on any way, and I don't know who was face in that or the women's match because all of them just seem like right arseholes. 

A good Takeover but nowhere near the best.

The video of the post event brawl with DIY, Cole, Dream and Ricochet is nice - Dream to be in the final four at the Rumble! I just hope they don't ruin him on the main roster.

I don’t really ‘get’ Matt Riddle either.

I’m sure I’ve heard Bruce Prichard suggest he’s someone who would capture Vince McMahon’s attention and that surprises me.

His ring attire combined with his general demeanour makes him look like he’s stepped out of a late 90s stoner movie with the intention of making a fresh start as a swimmer.

Maybe he’ll win me over given time.

Overall this was another great show for me, particularly Ricochet vs Gargano which absolutely blew me away.

Interesting that they went with a curtain call, I’d assumed that Ricochet was about to move on to face Ciampa at the Wrestlemania Takeover.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

This was the most noteworthy thing about the show. Sam Robert's crazy rant about Bianca Belair on the pre-show. What a car crash.

I can't tell what the deal was. Did he have someone screaming him down his ear? Why did he think burying her would be a good idea? Was it some type of angle? Or was he having a stroke? What a weird moment.

For what it's worth, I thought Bianca did really well. You could tell she still needs work, but then so did Shayna during her first few Takeover matches. Plus, those false finishes where she kept powering out of chokes was cool as fuck and got huge reactions from the crowd every time.

The awesome gear of both Gargano and Ricochet also deserves a mention. Both looked like they'd jumped straight out of a comic book. Super cool.

When Gargano eventually turns on Ciampa, do you think the fans will forgive and forget? The, "Puppetmaster," storyline feels almost too clever for its own good and by the time they pay it off I don't think Gargano will ever be able to slot right back in as a babyface.

• Paid Members

Great show again. Really enjoyed the opener which is a surprise as I'm not massive on either team. They put it together well and built the big lads' spots in great.

I liked Ohno and Riddle. Thought they built the previous attack into it nicely and Ohno was good as the disgusting heel. Biting his toes FFS. Agree generally that the crowd don't give a shit. Riddle needed to win and move on and hopefully that's what this is. I like Riddle but he should have sold the foot stomp. Otherwise what's the point?

Richochet and Gargano was wonderful. Richochet is the business. A lot of his stuff could be shit if it was spot, spot, spot but he has a great way of looking like he's thinking about stuff and looking to the crowd for encouragement. As much as they've fucked Johnny, the crowd were still well into him winning - which wasn't really the story of the match - but this is NXT so you just accept that stuff. Would like to see Ricochet work with Ciampa next.

Women's match was decent but they've not built Belair enough to convince me.

Main event wasn't on my radar. Good match though and good finish but not that high on Black. Agree it was a comedown too after the high of earlier. Problem is though, if you place that match earlier, you telegraph the result. So it probably all worked for the best.

40 minutes ago, Supremo said:

This was the most noteworthy thing about the show. Sam Robert's crazy rant about Bianca Belair on the pre-show. What a car crash.

I can't tell what the deal was. Did he have someone screaming him down his ear? Why did he think burying her would be a good idea? Was it some type of angle? Or was he having a stroke? What a weird moment.

I was sure someone was in his ear as soon as he started stuttering.

I enjoyed Ricochet/Gargano but not much else.

I hate the Belair character it just came off as a heel trying her best to ham it up as a baby face, her entrance is terrible to jogging/skipping down to the ring, she’s still green I guess and wasn’t ready, would of loved another Kairi/Shayna bout instead.

Speaking Of Kairi anyone see her reaction to winning Superstar of the year?  My heart melts whenever she’s on screen, they confirmed her for the Rumble too, was it already announced? 

Also what a way to bury your talent on the pre show 

Dx3-zECVAAAAicC?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by TildeGuy~!