NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

Had no memory of that No Way Out match whatsoever. Just had to got and watch it and it all came flooding back. Problem is, regardless of the finish, no one wanted Show to be the Champion either. While Cole, who is fucking dreadful, is doing his "Big Show is the new champion, Big Show is going to WrestleMania" the crowd are deathly silent.

Shame because after the chokeslam, with both guys bleeding like motherfuckers, it's actually quiet intriguing.

I'm surprised the ending to the Gargano-Black match isn't getting more love here. Johnny and Ciampa are just magical together. Certainly there was a point in their feud where it started to drag a little - like a too-long chapter in a book, for a time it was just Johnny banging his head against a brick wall - but every moment where there's actual story progression, they execute like no-one else. I thought the performances here were wonderful. Ciampa, cautious, but confident, greedy and driven; Gargano, torn, frustrated and desperate enough to accept help from the devil he now knows in a way he never could before. I loved it. Wresting storytelling as it should be.

Ranallo is really shit isn't he?

Watching through this week's episode, and I'm upto the Dijakovic match where he's about to go for his finish and does his "FEAST! YOUR! EYES!" shtick, to which Mauro yells out:

"HE WANTS YOU TO FEAST YOUR EYES! AND HE'S GOING TO FEAST!" - I know this! I've just seen him tell me seconds beforehand! He's the best example of somebody not having a clue when to shut up. His insistence toĀ alwaysĀ have his voice be heard is ridiculously annoying.Ā 

• Paid Members

Yeah, it must be a matter of taste becauseĀ I really like Mauro. Genuine and authentic.Ā You never get the sense that he's just repeating what he's been told to say in his headset, which is by far the most frustrating thingĀ about everyone else. They're mindless zombies.Ā 

It sounds like he goes into shows with 100 things he just force in. Donā€™t think he sounds genuine at all when I have heard him, heā€™s ā€œlook at meā€ as fuck than getting whatā€™s going on overĀ 

• Paid Members

Each to their own, horses for courses etc, but I absolutely love him. His genuine enthusiasm for whatā€™s unfolding in front of himĀ reminds me of peak Jim Ross when he made everything happening in front of you seem like a massive moment. Ā The fact heā€™s probably not as reigned in on NXT as he might beĀ on the main roster just makes it all the more enjoyable. His commentary has provided a great soundtrack for some of NXTā€™s recent rivalries. Heā€™s also the only commentator in WWE that can make me genuinely buy a near fall, even if itā€™s just for a split second.Ā 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

Mauro's enthusiasm really is great and I can't fault him for it. But at the same time he also has the ability of making me think the telly is too loud and turning the volume down. I daren't watch NXT with the volume up if my daughter's in bed due to the fear of an overzealous "Mamma Mia" waking her up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Another fun episode of NXT this week.

Ā 

I wish Aleister would stop forcing "Fade to Black" into his promos. The promos where he sounds genuinely furious always lose at least 50 authenticity points every time he does it. When they interviewed Ricochet in the car park later in the show and he was still seething about being sucker punched (kicked) by Gargano, he didn't feel the need to throw a "ONE AND ONLY" in there because you don't cheekily throw in your catch phrase when you''re in a fit of rage. Keith Lee did it later in the show as well. "You viciously assaulted by best friend, so I'm going to make you bask in my glory!". OK.Ā  I know it's a wrasslin' thing to get your catchphrase in there but I like it when wrestlers forego their usual schtick to suit the occasion. Like when Kyle O'Reilly came out to defend the tag titles without a partner and was too cut up about it to do his air guitar, or any time someone skips their entire entrance routine and just marches down to the ring looking PISSED instead because they're about to fight their mortal enemy. More of that please.

Aside from my reservations about Aleister's promos I'm enjoying all four of the guys in the opening segment at the moment and I quite likeĀ  how they're weaving the feuds together whilst keeping the possibility of more DIY action on the table. Lots of directions they could go here and any combination of them in matches will be tremendous.

Very excited to see how Bianca Belair runs with the ball as she has seemingly limitless potential. Thought her match with Nikki was a bit sloppy at the beginning but ended up being good once they hit their stride. Her vs Shayna is very intriguing to me, though obviously they have an easy out for that one with Shayna's squad getting involved.

Loved Aichner and Barthel's team finisher. Fabian Aichner is on Cesaro's level in terms of sheer freakish power and athleticism. I find him exciting to watch because he can do genuinely superhuman shit at any moment. Not sure it really suits a heel persona but then I guess he is one of those FOREIGNERS we all hate.

Montez Ford can barely contain his own charisma in the Street Profits vignettes. I want an animated GIF of the little bit of interpretive dance he used to describe Raul Mendoza and Humberto Carillo (who are, once again, a near-perfect jobber tag team in my eyes). THE QUICKNESS should be their team name going forward.

Main event was OK. Fairly predictable, made EC3 look a bit of a mug but he's off to this home planet shortly so I won't be worried about that. Fantastic run in from The War Raiders, Absolutely monstrous. It's tough for them to feud against Undisputed Era who are very much heels in their actions but are babyfaces to the crowd, so it was good to see them get the crowd fully on side here. Looking forward to that tag title match at Takeover.

In pedantry news, I can never quite tell if Mauro is saying "approbation" which is a pretty archaic way of saying "approval" or if the thinks "approvation" is a word. I like himĀ  and he's an articulate guy so I'm choosing to believe it's the former.

Oh, and not NXT-specific but this was the last show I saw it on: "history waits for no one, so why should you?" is up there with the worst of the utterly meaningless PPV tag lines they've come up with. It makes me cringe hard every time.Ā  "The showcase of the immortals" is perfect to me. They should stick with that.

Edited by JLM