NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

Roode - wow, just wow. When he came out I wondered if he might be heeling first night and that was brilliant. It's been a long time since I've seen him not just over on his reputation in sleepy TNAville and quite frankly he knocked my socks off. Already immediately elevated above Aries with that promo imo, who I've also been very fond of.

That NXT was great! Nothing particularly ground breaking this week but it was crammed with story and character developments.

As a big fan of the guy it was great to see Hideo Itami return to NXT. It would have been nice to see a little more fanfare surrounding his return but the match was solid and he showed some much needed aggression and fire. Originally I thought being injured for so long during NXTs hottest period (so far) may have hurt him but after the recent call-ups (and possibly soon to be called up Joe, Bayley and/or Nakamura ?) he could now have a chance to shine which may not have been available in the previously packed roster. That's up to him and management of course but I hope they have plans for him other than just coming out to wrestle week after week to slowly be forgotten. If Joe were to lose to Nakamura at Takeover I'd love for him to be revealed as Hideo's attacker... we'll see.

The Bayley/Asuka bit was fantastic. It's nice to see them inject some real heat going into their big rematch. As good as their last match was I was afraid the rematch was just going to be another match between the two for the sake of it, now there's some animosity between the two I'm way more invested in this feud than I was before.

There's not much I can say about Bobby Roode other than he's simply GLORIOUS! My only disappointment here is that he's on NXT and not on the main roster yet.

Roode has always reminded me of Triple H from the Evolution time period, I always thought of him as "TNA's HHH", think it's the suits, the assured confidence and tone of his heel promo's, the steady if unspectacular general style ring work and other little quirks also. I have never been blown away by the bloke but I'm Looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table, I actually think he is very much suited to the main roster and really should be up there, he is a veteran and has mastered his craft and character.

I love Joe just charging around lumping people as and when he wants.

Is it racist to say I've got zero interest in a Hideo Itami return since Nakamura debuted and made him obsolete?

Funnily enough, I feel the opposite. I actually want to see Itami turn on Nakamura and blame him for taking 'his' spot. He's definitely got the facials for it, although I am unsure if he has the mic skills.

Is it racist to say I've got zero interest in a Hideo Itami return since Nakamura debuted and made him obsolete?

Funnily enough, I feel the opposite. I actually want to see Itami turn on Nakamura and blame him for taking 'his' spot. He's definitely got the facials for it, although I am unsure if he has the mic skills.

And I feel the opposite to that where I want Nakamura, Itami and Ibushi to form a three man group who battle Roode Revival for domination of NXT. Maybe even give Roode Revival a female associate who can compete with Asuka.

That is probably pretty racist, but it would be an awesome story with possibilities for a bunch of great matches

Happy to see Itami back. Match itself wasnt anything spectacular, but it served its purpose.

Hearing 4ft Dash Wilder call towering over him TM61 kids was funny, and then in waltz the even shorter Gargano and Ciampa. When it went to shot of all three teams it looked the Two Ronnies and John Cleese 'Class' sketch from the Frost Report. Tag division is going to need some work now that AmericanAlpha are gone, Blake & Murphy have split and Authors of Pain are green as grass

Joe saved us all from a Mojo Rawley match. Thanks Joe. And while I know deep down it's likely not happening, I'm still hoping for a Joe v Regal down the line.

So that vignette from last week was indeed for Ember Moon, whose debuting at Takeover.

Bobby ROOOOOO should have been brought in years ago, but he kept signing with TNA for some ungodly reason. And that theme was fucking outstanding, glorious if you will. Was really hoping he was going to slap this guy though-

3E62E478-046F-4CC2-899B-DED926ADD32C_zps

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Roode was fantastic. Why he's in NXT I've no idea. WWE TV is so bereft of good promos these days, he fucking knocks it out the park and makes it look easier. I hope that wet git Rollins watched this and saw how you do a proper main event heel promo.

Put him on Raw, give him the title in six months time. That's what I'd do.

Roode was great but I wouldnt rush him to main roster yet, I know hes not too young and has miles on him but its exciting to think that him, Joe, Naka, Aries, Hideo etc are all ready to come up at any point and can freshen up the rosters, no point rushing them up let both rosters settle then they can make an impact.

Where's Eric Young?

Its crazy all these guys coming in with there names and gimmicks intact, I know they've done it plenty times before but seems everyone is now.

• Paid Members

Thought Itami could have been a bit more enthused to be back.

The Revival do have a lot of work to do carrying this tag division now. Personally I think they're absolutely excellent and Dawson is one of the best talkers they have, but Authors of Pain are turds and TM61 are slightly more polished turds. I like Gargano and Ciampa but they need to do some character work with both of them. The scene fading out with the four guys trying to do improvised comedy was... not good. All Revival backstage skits and promos should end with ''clink me Jack'' and no one else needs to talk.

With Rhyno and now Samoa Joe sparing us Mojo Rawley matches, I'd quite like his sole gimmick on both NXT and Smackdown to be put into absolutely atrocious looking matches and have someone beat him up before it can happen. Think it's the best possible use for him. Next week I'd like to see Mojo Rawley vs Tino Sabatelli with Nakamura making the save.

Asuka/Bayley stuff was tremendous. Absolutely tremendous. Asuka, what a dick. Loved it, and yeah, totally stops it being just a rematch. As much as the crowd was shocked and upset when Bayley lost the title, the reaction during the match was slightly muted because the crowd didn't want to boo Asuka. Makes good sense for Asuka to have a bit of an attitude too. She has every reason to be confident and is right to respond to the whole narrative of Bayley's comeback how it's been built up as Bayley taking back ''her'' title. I thought choking out Aaliyah after the match was maybe a bit too out of character for a one week turn but the segment as a whole was fantastic. Loved it.

Excited to see Athena/Ember Moon debut. She does all manner of fancy shit, lots of fire and good thwacky strikes. Her and Asuka would murder each other. Bit overly spotty and indy-ish but she's in the right place to get that reined in a touch. Bit torn on her finisher. On the one hand it's one of those moves where the opponent has to stand there and wait to take it and it looks fucking awful if they're looking right at her waiting for her to hit it. On the other hand it looks like absolute death when it lands:

Roode's theme is great, he looks the part and I actually think the gimmick is perfect for NXT. He's a main roster style guy in a suit trying to turn NXT into Raw and clear out the neckbeards. It's an outstanding heel gimmick for this brand. There's no rush to call him up I don't think.

TM61 are so bland. Nick Miller in particular surely has no WWE future whatsoever. Gargano and Ciampa doing comedy was... not good again. Match will be fun though.  
  Edited by JLM