NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Awards Moderator

I kind of felt the same. I really enjoyed it but there was something intangible missing, maybe. I wonder if what PowerButchi's Shane Douglas Post referred to as 'the "this is a classic" booking' had anything to do with it. The number of times it was drummed into me as how great a match it would be before it had even started may have heightened my expectations too much. (And dare I say it, Nakamura could have sold the knee injury a bit more often than he did…) It was still pretty great though!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I didn't think it was meant to be best match ever, it was to lead into cwc so be good, but hold back as you will likely face off again when it means something

I was tad disappointed with the Nakamura vs Balor match this week. Something was missing and I believe that had it been in an arena that didn't have fans who weren't interested or which tried to use chants to get themselves over it would have been blistering. Dallas crowd would have worked perfectly. 

• Paid Members

No, it was a bloody brilliant match. There were issues though:

- it wasn't a big live takeover event

- I for one believed that the result was expected. I don't know why, but it seemed inevitable (for me)

- ad breaks

- excitement to almost 'get it out if the way' for CWC.

It was a fantastic showing, brilliant back and fourth, great selling (in general), and some new things I hadn't seen before.

I agree the event lacked something, which I think is highlighted by my points above, but I don't think it had anything to do with the match itself.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

Ad breaks killed the momentum of the match which really took me out of it at points. I thought it was one of Balor's best WWE performances, he was a bit more ruthless than normal. Nakamura didn't sell the leg as much as I would have liked when he was on offense either. Still, it was cool to see and I think they could have a mega match against each other somewhere down the line.

How does a lad need to sell a leg nowadays? Does it need to be hanging by a tendon? His selling lead to the first Kinshasa kick-out on WWE TV, and he looked in right agony having finally hit the finish, was good enough for me. Loved the bit where Balor hits a heavy leg kick and Naka's leg 'buckled', for some reason my fav bit of the whole thing

How does a lad need to sell a leg nowadays? Does it need to be hanging by a tendon? His selling lead to the first Kinshasa kick-out on WWE TV, and he looked in right agony having finally hit the finish, was good enough for me. Loved the bit where Balor hits a heavy leg kick and Naka's leg 'buckled', for some reason my fav bit of the whole thing

Don't want him to be lying around like Dolph Ziggler, I just found it slightly annoying that Balor was working the leg the whole match which is the logical approach to (kayfabe) take against Nakamura but he went on to hit all of normal offense no problem irregardless. Would have liked to have seen the work by his opponent play into the story of the match a little more.

• Paid Members

Full Sail killed the Balor/Nakamura match by quite a bit. The venue/crowd remind me so much of the Impact Zone sometimes and this is one of those occasions. I think if they did that match in front of a proper crowd on the road it would have felt like a much bigger deal, bell to bell. Still a good match like, but hardly the belter they were hyping it up to be.

Is it asking for trouble saying that the reason for something being missing is that Finn isn't actually that good? He's a solid hand and puts on exciting matches, but he looks bland, isn't a great promo, and wrestles an indie style that is really stop-start - everything he does needs a run-up. I even think the demon gimmick lost its edge when it became clear it didn't alter his actual wrestling at all. I also feel the demon hasn't helped him develop, because it's not really a face gimmick, but it was too over for him to go full-on heel. He's been teasing through mannerisms a turn for nearly a year, but the trigger hasn't been pulled and all he's left to do is scowl and slowly flash his nipples in a leather jacket. I can't think of any major personality or storyline development he's had since he became champion.

Edited by CavemanLynn

Towards the end of his New Japan run, Devitt faced both Tanahashi & Okada. He had previously wrestled Tanahashi & to be fair that was a really good match, but the 2 I'm referring to were very ordinary. Put him in with; Low Ki, Ibushi, Kenny Omega etc. & he looks great, but seeing those matches made me question whether he 'had it', above Jr. level / as a main event performer. I had no expectations for his match with Nakamura. They know each other well, but that in itself isn't enough of a backstory to excite me. Still haven't got around to watching it yet, but I have edited out the numerous interruptions, which wouldn't have helped at all with the flow of the match & hopefully it'll make for better viewing when I get around to watching it.

Edited by KingofSports

I have never bought Balor - not quite sure what the fuss is about. He can certainly work but I have no reason to like or dislike him, he is Randy Orton for the future - a guy that can have a decent match but who just doesn't do it for me at all. 

He was excellent in NJPW and others where he didn't have to rely on a gimmick but the Demon thing just seems pointless. When he cuts a promo he looks out of place and seems to flounder - see his promo leading to the announcement of Balor vs Nakamura. 

I can see him going to shit on the main roster when you have the likes of Styles, New Day etc who have the crowd eating out the palm of their hands. 

He is in a weird position because he is probably better suited to being a heel but his gimmick has the Rey Mysterio/Jeff Hardy merch potential and I don't think WWE will want to lose out on that. I watched that Fergal Devitt documentary on iplayer and it was striking how different he came across. I do hope that he is just poorly cast in his current role and will thrive with a bit of work. Everyone thought AJ would flounder when having to do more mic work but that hasn't really happened so there is a precedent.

I do wonder if the

announcement on Raw of a cruiserweight division

is perhaps a way of getting Balor over without exposing him too much.

What a really good heel vs face tag team match that was, boy did Alpha go out of their way to make this a good one. Jordan's dive over the top and throws on the big fuckers had me out of my seat. Loved this match.

Decent bit of fire shown by Jose, Aries will get a good match out of him down the line I'm sure.

Another really good show this week! 

Jordan and Gable looked superhuman suplexing those Authors of Pain blokes around the ring like they were cruiserweights. I could watch them do that all day every day. 

Not surprising because it's Bayley but still shocked at just how much I enjoyed the women main event. Nia Jax put on a career best performance here too (though I suppose that isn't saying much ?) and actually held her own to a degree. She still has loads of glaring flaws but for the first time I actually think if she keeps improving she could be something down the line.

I can't say enough about Bayley though, what a superstar she is.

Random thought here but I feel this Paul Ellering thing could be a big smokescreen and the Authors of Pain...will soon align with HEEL ROMAN REIGNS. big, Samoan, Shield-esque gear

that would be incredibly sick tbh. Roman Reigns and the Authors of Pain would make a great band name too. I would not rule out these 2 making an appearance in the Battleground main event

Edited by sj5522