NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

Why was Santanna Garrett's entrance music just a strings version of Emma's theme (that we'd just heard seconds earlier)? Was that supposed to be on purpose?

I thought it sounded very similar but thought I was just being a bit daft.

They must have a bunch of stock themes done in different styles. It might have happened a bunch before, it just seemed more noticeable this time because they were back to back

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

If Enzo and Cass take the straps, American Alpha then going over Dash and Dawson would lead to a sure fire title match.

Ā 

Good one. Jordan and Gable not being the ones to take the belts from Dash & Dawson would be a massive anti-climax.

Big fan of Dash & Dawson. I think they're a great old school style heel team. A lot better on the mic than you'd think they'd be.

Ā 

I can see Enzo and Cass taking the belts off them at Roadblock, then losing them to American Alpha in Dallas. Finally give them the title win before they go off to the main roster and the crowd will be wild seeing those two teams go at it for the belts.

Win them drop them three weeks later? What's the point

In all fairness he did a decent job explaining that. Although its not the way id go, i guess he feels that Enzo and Cass vs American Alpha for the tag belt would be a great way to end Enzo and Cass run in Nxt.

Ā 

Personally id have Alpha Win the belts first then defend them against Enzo and Cass before they go. There's more mileage in a underdog team who couldnt win the nxt tag titles moving to the main roster.

• Paid Members
Personally id have Alpha Win the belts first then defend them against Enzo and Cass before they go. There's more mileage in a underdog team who couldnt win the nxt tag titles moving to the main roster.

Ā 

Huh? "We couldn't win the belts in the little leagues so we moved up to the big time" ? That doesnt make sense.

Ā 

Ā 

Huh? "We couldn't win the belts in the little leagues so we moved up to the big time" ? That doesnt make sense.

Ā 

Ā 

Course it does.

Ā 

Side point first; You're making it sound like (a) Enzo and Cass are actively saying that which I didn't imply and (b) winning a championship of a lower division isn't a prerequisite to moving up to the main roster. I mean, Tyler Breeze isn't hardly going to turn down a IC / US Title shot because he never won the NXT title. In other words just because Enzo and Cass missed out on the opportunity to win a lesser prize, dosen't mean they won't continue to improve and be in a position to win a bigger prize. You're making it sound like Enzo and Cass are doing this via choice, as oppose to via fate (by being drafted up).

Ā 

Back to my main point though; It's a way of presenting them as underdogs going into a big tag title match and gets the fans routing for them, and theoretically the fans responding more positively when they finally do win the big one.

Ā 

Heck the "you don't deserve to be a big title match and you aint gonna win it" is a staple wrestling storyline that has been done a billion times before to great success. Benoit, Guerrero, Mysterio and Ā Jeff Hardy are just some examples where they've taken a underdog approach to elicit huge anticipation or a huge positive response if or when they finally overcome that massive hurdle and win the big one.

Ā 

Admittedly the names I've said above have all won smaller titles in their career, but the point still stands that they are presented as underdogs in situations the heel feels like they shouldn't never of found themselves in. Besides, there are several world champions in wrestling who never won a lesser championship prior to that win. It's not a prerequisite.

Ā 

Ultimately I feel that Enzo and Cass not winning the NXT titles makes more sense:

Ā 

- It keeps Dash and Dawson as stronger heels.

- American Alpha (if they win the belts) are presented as the top dogs they are.

- Enzo and Cass retain the sympathy factor with the fans.

Ā 

It positions all three teams in unique ways, and puts them over with the audience in different ways.Ā 

The way I see it, Enzo and Cass are due to move up, they have been the top face team in NXT for some time. Unfortunately not holding the tag belts. I think that is mainly because other teams needed the belt more to be over. By the time they got a big shot, plans were already in place for American Alpha and probably for Enzo and Cass to move up to the main roster to spice up the tag division. They are in my eyes a ready to go act and as long as they stay popular with batty Vince should do well. If they stay in NXT much longer I think they would need to turn heel or lose momentum as an act. There isnt much else for them to do apart from possibly get beaten around by The Vaudvillans en route to American Alpha for a post takeover program.

• Awards Moderator

I had forgotten that Tyler Breeze was a thing until I read that post above. Has he been on TV since the Rumble?

Ā 

Anyway, I'm in the 'give Enzo & Cass the NXT tag titles' camp. They've been screwed out of them so many times now, if they lose AGAIN it's going to make them feel like proper losers to me. The story only makes sense if the good guys win in the end. (I felt the same when the Dudleys lost approximately 20 title matches in a row last autumn - 'can they do it? Can they become 10 time champions?' 'No. Nah. Sorry. Moving on...'). Yes, American Alpha vs Enzo & Cass might not have quite the same feel to it, but I think you do more damage to the latter by not having them win at all ever.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

On the flip side they are over anyway so title or no title they can still do pretty well, then if you need to draft a tag team in the future (lets say Dash & Dawson/American Alpha) then them teams can say that they are a bigger team from NXT and have at least won the titles etc.

Ā 

Kinda helps put other teams over when they get called up.Ā 

I say have Enzo & Cass win the belts, then Dash & Dawson want their rematch to make it a triple threat at Takeover.

Ā 

At Takeover have Dash & Dawson job to American Alpha, that way it gets the belts off Enzo & Cass and onto American Alpha and they still look strong andĀ gain sympathy as they were never pinned forĀ the belts.

Ā 

Failing that have a backstage confrontation with a main roster team at Roadblock (Social Outcasts perhaps)Ā and have that team cost them the titles, thus creating a reason for Enzo & Cass to get called up as they want payback

Edited by thegamehhh