NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

Right now the plan is to debut Joe on that RAW but it was noted by The Wrestling Observer Newsletter that creative plans could change, but plans are in motion to bring Joe up.

This sentence annoys me. Essentially it's saying "This is happening but may not happen so don't blame me if it doesn't".

It's wishy washy stuff like this which is why I cancelled my subscription last year.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, this card looks ridiculous. Mania is an afterthought, although I'm still looking forward to it. NXT cards looking even better, Lucha Underground series 2, AJ Styles in WWE and WrestleMania coming up. In the words of Sir Branquesworth, it's well and truly the time to pull the stomach out of yourself.

• Paid Members

It's bizarre that one show is thriving in a vibrant bubble and the other seems to be in a constant state of tedium. All by the same company.

I guess it shows what happens when you're listening to your audience, rather than force feeding them ham fisted characters and storylines.

• Paid Members

Yeah, its a nightmare with stuff like that. He's even worse in audio form. Alvarez is even worse. He reported that WWE are thinking of bringing Hulk Hogan back for WrestleMania and that Tough Enough Josh was going to be in the Rumble to get "Daniel Pudered." Such shitty reporting.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad report from Meltzer, I think there's a reasonable chance with Joe, if they are the current plans that they could evolve into something else, we all know what WWE are like.

Alvarez on the other hand has been absolutely shit lately. He seems to have one source in WWE, who depending on who you believe is probabaly somebody like the Brooklyn Brawler or a lighting technician. He reads out texts from him with absolutely no double sourcing whatsoever. Which leads to absolute shite like the Josh Tough Enough story that anyone with a brain could tell you wasn't likely happening.

Edited by Benno

Out of interest though with all these 'leaked inside info' would the stage crew know a lot of what could happen on a show? I highly doubt so unless someone debuting was something to do with the set, titantron or something like that. 

Wasn't there talk that even at Mania last year Seth didn't know he was cashing in until quite close to the main event? 

I'm just not even sure everyone would know such information?

Perhaps the wrong thread for this convo. 

I see Finn Balor being in NXT for a while... They haven't been able to make a singles competitor that hasn't come from the indies look a credible face of the company.

Eventually, they have to give some of the homegrown guys a go. If NXT was like it is now a few years ago, Big E and Bo Dallas would never have held the title. If they intend to do something with Corbin (and it seems they do), he should have the title at least for a few months this year. Give him a bit of experience at main event matches and ostensibly carrying a brand. He's one of the only solid shots they've got at making a top heel from the developmental crowd.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Corbin will definitely have that title at some point within the next year I reckon. I never bought into him at first, I think it was the initial booking of him as a bit of a giant (I know he's tall, but come on) but having watched the first few episodes of Breaking Ground I'm a lot more invested in him. He's the best shot they have of making a top-liner singles in the near future. Long term there are plenty others, but they're either in tag teams and/or some way from being the top guy yet.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

I haven't watched much NXT this year, so

why is Nakamura fighting Zayn? Is it just that Nakamura has challenged him to a match or is there some other background to the match?

They supposedly all but said it was Zayn's farewell match. Looks like he's main roster bound.

Edited by Benno

Just caught up with this week's episode, another solid showing. Nia Jax seems to be getting worse for me, but perhaps it's depending on who she's in the ring with. Can't complain about seeing Liv though. I enjoyed Elias a little more this time around but I've no idea why, essentially the same stuff as the last few matches. Perhaps a tad quicker? Also liked Alex Riley's backstage interview, don't think he'll get far but want to see him get a shot.

I've heard (and can see from this thread) that the Takeover line-up is the balls but I enjoy watching NXT without spoilers so it's hard trying to avoid stuff when WWE seems to want to plaster everything about it all over the place!

My complaint about Nia Jax last year was that her squash matches are so dull and plodding. Big power move, turn to hard camera, smile, pick up opponent, repeat.

Then she had the really good match with Bayley at Takeover and proved she can keep up with a faster pace I was hopeful things would be different.

But that match this week was back to the same boring formula.

Yet another really good American Alpha match this week.

I love everything about their shtick (most recently digging Gable saying "thank you!" when Jordan transfers his arm wringer over), the only thing I'm not into is their finisher.

I guess it's supposed to come across like Gable drives the opponent into the mat with extra force on top of them coming down from Jordan's throw, but it looks more like Gable's part is just bridging while doing the pin.

I know I'm in the minority on that though, because the crowd pops when they see it coming and even more when they connect with it.