Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

You’re Dead To Me is great but as mentioned, the comedian guest can be hit or miss

I do love you're dead to me but I agree on the guest, there's a couple I just can't listen to because of the comedian they've got in. I used to listen to that was genius as a light comedy history one but they started trying a bit hard and I drifted away.

I'll look up the recommendations, and @HarmonicGenerator my DMs are full so if you want to post a link before I get around to clearing some space please do.

I'm not sure if it's the kind of history that fits but You Must Remember This is amazing, it's a deep dive into the seedier and secret history of Hollywood and there's so much very early stuff covered, Karina Longworth does a hell of a lot of research. I started with a season of Charlie Manson which goes into not just him but all the links to the business at the time, currently she's in the 90's covering eroticism in film and tv.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I'm not sure if it's the kind of history that fits but You Must Remember This is amazing, it's a deep dive into the seedier and secret history of Hollywood and there's so much very early stuff covered, Karina Longworth does a hell of a lot of research. I started with a season of Charlie Manson which goes into not just him but all the links to the business at the time, currently she's in the 90's covering eroticism in film and tv.

It's absolutely brilliant. I tend to only listen every now and then, so binge on a bunch of them while walking. The Erotic 80s / Erotic 90s stuff has been fascinating, and the context she puts into things is really well done. One of the things I like about this particular run is that the episodes don't have a particular order to them - I'm jumping between the 80s and 90s ones rather randomly, and enjoying them a lot.

• 7 months later...

Jon Ronson’s Things Fell Apart podcast is fantastic. I started listening to the second series today which is a branching web of stories connected through the Covid times but told in a brilliantly impartial way. Nice and short too at about 35 minutes a pop. He’s unmatched in his ability to present facts but also give the content an entertaining narrative.

Edited by Mr_Danger

3 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Jon Ronson’s Things Fell Apart podcast is fantastic. I started listening to the second series today which is a branching web of stories connected through the Covid times but told in a brilliantly impartial way. Nice and short to at about 35 minutes a pop. He’s unmatched in his ability to present facts but also give the content an entertaining narrative.

Oh yeah I’m forgot about this, despite finding out about it the other week!  The first series was fantastic so thanks for the reminder. Have you listened to “The Coming Storm” by Gabriel Gatehouse? It’s very similar but about the January 6th insurrection. Actually it may have been your good self who recommended it!

20 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Oh yeah I’m forgot about this, despite finding out about it the other week!  The first series was fantastic so thanks for the reminder. Have you listened to “The Coming Storm” by Gabriel Gatehouse? It’s very similar but about the January 6th insurrection. Actually it may have been your good self who recommended it!

No that one wasn’t me but I’ll give it a whirl next.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Jon Ronson’s Things Fell Apart podcast is fantastic. I started listening to the second series today which is a branching web of stories connected through the Covid times but told in a brilliantly impartial way. Nice and short too at about 35 minutes a pop. He’s unmatched in his ability to present facts but also give the content an entertaining narrative.

18 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I blitzed through series one of Things Fell Apart when I got the second series recommended to me, absolutely loved it, insofar as something that deals with often frustrating topics can be loved. Looking forward to starting on the new series soon.

The Coming Storm was superb in laying out the background of a lot of pervasive American conspiracy theories - the stuff about William Rees-Mogg's Sovereign Individual in particular was fascinating. 

On a completely different note, my favourite new listen is Bigfeets. It's by Robert Brockway, Seanbaby and Jason Pargin, who all used to write for Cracked.com when it was still good, and it's an episode-by-episode recap of Mountain Monsters, an absolutely insane "reality" show about a bunch of aging hillbillies hunting cryptids in West Virginia. I've never seen a single episode of the show, but the podcast is hilarious.

• 6 months later...
  • Paid Members

After listening to them weekly for 12 years now, I finally unsubscribed from both the Empire and Kermode and Mayo podcasts today. I do like Kermode and Mayo but since they left the BBC the podcast has been slowly running out of steam. and neither of them sound that arsed anymore - I might give it a few months then jump back in. The last episode I listened to featured Mayo just reading out the results of some Twitter poll for ages, and Mark Kermode re-reviewing Sex And The City 2 for some reason, and I just couldn't be arsed.

The Empire podcast is just a parody of itself at this stage. If it's not Star Wars or MCU, they're not interested. This makes me sound like a misery guts (I am, to some extent) but one of the recent podcasts had a segment about which MCU characters should appear on Taskmaster and I just thought... I'm a grown man, what are we doing here? Apologies for sounding wanky but when I unsubscribed I almost felt a sense of relief, like I'd cut ties with some old friend who was turning out to be more hassle than they were worth. (The Pilot TV podcast is not guilty and still stands). 

The past few weeks I've been listening to Reel Talk, a podcast where Jonathan Ross and his daughter Honey review the latest film/TV releases. I really like it. There's a few issues (Honey has a massive case of nepobaby going on, and talks exclusively in Twitterisms - the 'Joke/Phrases to retire' thread would hate her - and Jonathan can be an overly harsh critic sometimes for someone whose a judge on The Masked Singer) but they have a really good dynamic between them, Jonathan Ross is genuinely funny in this environment and it's a rare podcast that I often wish was longer. Worth a listen for any of you who like movies and/or Jonathan Ross. 

I've never listened to the Empire podcast, but sounds a bit like a lot of Critical Drinker, which can be good if it's Chris Gore or someone like Mark Millar, as was the case last weekend, but if it's not someone as in the industry as them then it can be wearying.

Not surprised about Kermode and Mayo, who surely have bus passes by now. Could tell there was a lot of bitterness and tiredness when they'd deactivated Mayo's building pass before his last show had come off the air. A bit of Ken Bruce's treatment for him.

• Paid Members

Completely agree with @Lorne Malvo about Empire podcast and Kermode & Mayo

I jump in and out of Empire dependant on what film they’re talking about or if the guest interests me. I can only take Chris Hewitt in small doses so I can’t listen to it every week.

Kermode & Mayo is my washing up podcast because there’s no swearing. But the dip in quality since the Radio 5 show is pretty mad. It’s also really sad to hear them shilling NordVPN or some crappy FX thing

Chalk me down as another Pilot TV fan! James Dyer is really funny, TV’s Boyd Hilton is great and I really like Kay too. I was worried before when Beth was on as her vocal fry was unbearable sometimes, but she’s moved on to bigger and better things so win win

The two film podcasts I like which are must listens are Film Junk and Filmcast.

You will need to give Film Junk a bit of time to learn the personalities, the in jokes and the special guests (one guy called Reed is one of those guys who’s hilarious and doesn’t realise, he used to refuse to pay for wifi so did the podcast from the local library car park to use theirs). It’s got to the point now where they feel like freinds to me and I can’t imagine not listening to them once a week. One of the hosts Jay directed Cursed Films which is an excellent horror doc series on Shudder (he also put a clip online from Dawson’s Creek which blew up Twitter to the point where Joshua Jackson went on Jimmy Fallon to talk about it)

Filmcast is one where you could jump in any week and I think you’d enjoy it. You might recognise one of the hosts David Chen - apparently he went viral on TikTok for hoovering his mattress?! I like the format of this one, they talk news to start with, maybe a listener question or comment, what they’ve been watching and then a big film review

The Lost Drive In is another really funny podcast which focus on horror / sci fi films. They just jump in straight away with spoiler filled reviews so it only really works for me if I’ve recently seen the film. Otherwise I’ll skip it and add the film they’re reviewing to my never ending watchlist 

• Members

I prefer long pods while I'm working or falling asleep (sometimes in the afternoon ill combine the two!) so I really only listen to the Pure Cinema Pod when it comes to film these days.

They can be a bit too American sometimes (can't really explain it) and whiny, but they know their shit and it's always informative and I've discovered loads of new films and info through it. The Scorsese episodes are superb.

Video Archives is another good one, but that depends on how much you enjoy listening to Tarantino talk about film, and I do.

I've also listened to a couple of episodes of the Michael Moore pod leading up to the election and really enjoyed it. Quite low energy but again, suits me for falling asleep.

• Paid Members

I like Pure Cinema Pod but again they talk about movies I’ve never seen so I do zone out a bit. Their passion for film certainly shines through though and that’s a joy to listen to. They did a big episode with Tarantino which was really good.

Speaking of which I’ve still not started Video Archives. Maybe one day!