Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Awards Moderator
11 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I'm now foreseeing Jinder taking the Universal Title before then. Dear me.

Darth Vader FML

That's so plausible it's going to happen isn't it?

• Paid Members

Batista said on a podcast that he got in touch with WWE for a couple of return 'Mania matches. Apparently the plan was for him to be part of the Rousey mixed tag match, which would set up a match with Triple H at 'Mania 35. They were initially keen on the idea, but according to Dave, Triple H didn't bother returning his text messages after the initial interest. Poor Dave.

Also,

It’s a shame, they really fucked up Daves return bringing him in as a face, he was such a good heel.

Im chuffed he’s doing so well Outside the wrestling business, he’s a super nice guy too. 

• Paid Members

Big Dave was a superb heel last time around, it felt like he was playing the part of an aging wrestler, deluded into thinking he was still a big deal, and that it took the fans forever to catch on to the fact that he was fucking with them on purpose.

It also led to one of my favourite ever WWE moments, when, in a backstage segment, The Shield call him a "skinny jeans sell-out", and he freaks out at them. Triple H, in holding him back, says, "it's okay Dave, you've just got big legs".

But even in bringing him back as a babyface, people talked about it as if it was this incredibly wrong-footed decision all along, but on paper it should have worked - I don't think anyone in WWE has ever been such a victim of bad timing.

On paper - former World Champion and star returns to the company after years away, having gone off and become a Hollywood star in the interim, he wins the Royal Rumble and goes on to face the heel World Champion, who also happens to be his former running buddy, a guy he came up in the business alongside, and whose careers were intertwined together. That's as good a wrestling angle as you can get - and if it happened a few months later, after Guardians Of The Galaxy was released, there'd have been so much more goodwill behind Batista to make him a beloved babyface. But the movie wasn't out yet, and Batista was Patient Zero for the You're Not Daniel Bryan syndrome that would go on to infect Roman Reigns.

• Paid Members

Thing is, Batista's initial return segment went exactly how it should have. He returned to cheers and (IIRC) his much hyped return popped a big number.

It's also worth noting how many people were not really into it on here and in general. He returned with a deflated physique, suspect face and some felt looking rusty and old in the ring, which stopped many from jumping on the Batista babyface bus. I love the guy, so I was willing to let all that slide at the time, but looking back you can see why some just weren't into it - excluding the deadly YNDB syndrome.

It's hilarious, looking back, but Vince apparently thought the match would be the biggest in history - or at least try to sell it as such to talent (Daniel Bryan, I think).

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Assuming Batista's telling the truth, it's pretty mind-bogging to think there was a chance of WWE using him and they totally blew him off - must have come down to money, but you'd think they'd tell him that?

The dude's a genuine Hollywood star now, compared to last time where he'd been a goon in a Bond movie but that was about it. That's a big enough mainstream deal for WWE, but after 2 GOTG movies & with Infinity War imminent (at the time) you'd have thought WWE would have been all over him for Mania.

He hadn’t even been a Bond Goon at that time. The biggest film he’d been in at that point was either Riddick or The Man With The Iron Fists, otherwise it was small TV roles or a bunch of straight to DVD fodder. Getting the role of Drax brought him to the attention of alot more people and he got the Bond role, his part on Blade Runner 2049 off the back of that.

Personally, I’d be happy if he didn’t come back at all. And that’s not to say that I don’t like Big Dave, I do, I think he’s amazing. But with where he is in films now, he doesn’t need to do it anymore. I respect him for still wanting to, but he doesn’t need to.

If it has come down o money, then I can see why WWE wouldn’t go for it. Even though they’re seemingly getting a tidy sum from the Saudis, they’ll be paying Ronda Rousey alot and then there’s Lesnar’s new deal, which (depending who you want to believe) is supposedly worth $100K per appearance and $500K per match

• Paid Members

It simply may be because someone mentioned the "Olympic Dream Team" name with Rousey & Angle, and Vince immediately thinking it's good shit.

I hope Batista gets another match. You can obviously tell he's not happy with how his last run went. He deserves a better send off than that, which is what he's after (and a good pay day).

WWE have apparently signed the other two hangers on from Ronda’s Posse. I don’t think either of them have any pro wrestling experience, so don’t expect them to turn up on NXT quite yet, but you’ve got to think they’re hoping to eventually do Four Horsewomen:Wrestling v  Four Horsewomen:MMA 

Edited by WyattSheepMask