Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

Christ, that's an odd watch given how Meiko was positively angelic to converse with and meet a few months ago at a Fight Club show.

That's not too dissimilar though to how lots of guys, especially from the West, described their initial training however - it must just be a way of life over there that's widely accepted. That footage above looks fairly old and it hasn't kicked up any particular fuss.

Edited by AdamTH17

• Paid Members

Its from a documentary filmed before Saika Takeuchi's debut in October 99 - she's the one Meiko cleans out. Takeuchi had a two year career after this I.e. "made it" to a degree. Personally, I think of it less of a reflection on Satomura as on Chigusa. Proper old school and I imagine she instructed Satomura to go in hard and see if Takeuchi was "tough enough" because that's how HER generation got brought through, and in 99 it's very plausible that Meiko did what she's told or "Your push? Forget that."

• Paid Members

I remember re-watching the doc a few years ago and looking to see if she'd commented on the incident in an interview since, I couldn't find anything. It would be the first thing I'd ask her.

I'm not as down on the incident/Satomura as I used to be. Like Air_Raid posted it's probably more of a reflection on Chigusa and I don't think I've heard any horror stories since. Still sticks in the back of my mind though.

Strange seeing Satomura mucking about out in DDT. Always assumed that she's a classic "wrestling is serious business" type.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

There was a documentary a few years ago that was made infamous by this scene: 

Thank You 

Fucking Brutal, going to watch the full documentary when i get chance

Thanks Again 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Cody being a great guy.

[snip]

Everything I've ever heard about Cody when people have interacted with him, he's sounded like absolute class.

• Paid Members

That GAEA Girls clip has been doing the rounds a lot lately, and I wrote a little about it elsewhere - like @AdamTH17 said about Meiko being "positively angelic", I find it really hard to associate that clip with my experiences of Meiko in person, when she's been unfailingly polite and lovely.

I'm not sure it's even a case of "do this or lose your push" as air_raid suggested, so much as it's the time and place - this was the better part of 20 years ago, Meiko would have been 19 or 20 years old tops, and working/training in a dojo absolutely controlled by Chigusa Nagoya. Aside from being a very brutal, domineering personality, Chigusa was a huge mainstream star - the girls in that dojo would have grown up idolising her - so living effectively at her beck and call, with that in mind, must have been an almost cult-like experience.

I don't think the clip reflects on Meiko as a person now, nor on Meiko as a trainer, nearly as much as it does on Chigusa Nagoya, and on the whole dojo experience.

The CM Punk vs Dr Amann trial is finally in court, someone transcribed day 2 here:

http://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/959505-cm-punk-colt-cabana-v-dr-chris-amann-trial-day-2-morning-notes#/slide/1

http://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/959537-cm-punk-colt-cabana-v-dr-chris-amann-trial-day-2-afternoon-notes#/slide/1

I'm not particularly au fait with all the law-talking-guy stuff, but an interesting bit that comes up is, when asked why he (Amann) didn't denounce the claims when it all came out originally, he said it was because of confidentiality (HIPAA). They then show text conversations Amann had with Jericho and Justin Roberts about the situation.

11/27/14 text exchange between Jericho and Amann is shown

• In the text Amann says that Punk’s health was nothing like he described leading Punk’s lawyer to ask why he had decided to disregard HIPAA law in the texts