Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Looking for some recommendations please gents(and the occasional lady that frequents this place). My sons got to that age where he is really curious about the various conspiracy theories that float about. The main one that is fascinating him at the minute though, is the fake moon landing ones that won't seem to die(the 50th anniversary has really got him interested). So, does anyone have any recommendations for some decent moon lading conspiracy docs please(on both side of the argument)? 

Watched the new Louis theroux documentary yesterday and I felt really uncomfortable watching it. The main woman/the mum seems to be in that state where she has taken a beating emotionally loosing her dad and him being kicked out and ex communicated, the loss of her daughters and the general vibe of the group/cult as a whole. 

I don't know if anyone else got the vibes that she is very lost and not as loud and clear and confident with her beliefs and views 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

None, but if you want to celebrate one of mankind's greatest achievements then I can't recommend the new Apollo 11 documentary (especially in IMAX) enough.  Armstrong, with Neil Armstrong's words read by Harrison Ford, is a nice companion piece but Apollo 11 is the one that will make your bits tingle.

In The Shadow of the Moon as well. Brilliant film.

MV5BYjhjN2NjYTgtNTU2ZS00ODM2LWJjODYtOGRh

• Paid Members

There's a decent Incel documentary on BBC Iplayer which will make you despair for humanity & want to take a bat to one bloke in particular. A couple of them were genuinely sympathetic characters but it's a phenomenon I find fascinating, infuriating & tragic in equal measures.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Looking for some recommendations please gents(and the occasional lady that frequents this place). My sons got to that age where he is really curious about the various conspiracy theories that float about. The main one that is fascinating him at the minute though, is the fake moon landing ones that won't seem to die(the 50th anniversary has really got him interested). So, does anyone have any recommendations for some decent moon lading conspiracy docs please(on both side of the argument)? 

What about taking him to the Space Centre in Leicester. I'm sure they may be able to offer some objective reasoning.

• 1 month later...
  • Awards Moderator

Free Solo.

Chronicles the attempt of some mad bastard who wants to climb Yosemite’s El Capitan (3,200 feet) without any harnesses or safety gear. Just him and a bit of chalk. Uncomfortably wonderful to watch and it’s only at the very end that you realise the scale of what he’s doing. I’ve watched it twice this week. It’s incredible.

It’s on Channel 4 catch-up.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Free Solo.

Chronicles the attempt of some mad bastard who wants to climb Yosemite’s El Capitan (3,200 feet) without any harnesses or safety gear. Just him and a bit of chalk. Uncomfortably wonderful to watch and it’s only at the very end that you realise the scale of what he’s doing. I’ve watched it twice this week. It’s incredible.

Watched something very similar to this a couple of years ago where a guy was climbing what looked like a sheer cliff face in South America.  Got me that churned up I had to pause it half way through to check google that the bastard hadn’t fallen off.

• Paid Members
On 9/15/2019 at 9:55 AM, Hannibal Scorch said:

I just watched The Amazing Jonathan Documentary. Not sure how I feel about it if I’m honest. Was really looking forward to it, knowing only small snippets about him, but it’s an interesting film, but not essential 

where can i see that?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

where can i see that?

It is on Hulu in the states, so you'll have to just have a look on-line. No confirmed UK air date. I assume it will end up on Sky Arts or the like at some point though, even though he is not really that well known here, I am sure it will be picked up.

• Paid Members
On 9/15/2019 at 8:59 AM, Frankie Crisp said:

Free Solo.

I watched it at the cinema and I've never had an experience like it before. My hands were genuinely sweating and my heart was pounding come the final stretch.

It does a fantastic job heightening the risk involved by showing the many people that have died doing it, the risk involved with the climb, as well as fleshing out all the people involved.

It's quite funny too.

• Awards Moderator
On 9/15/2019 at 8:40 PM, Thunderplex said:

Watched something very similar to this a couple of years ago where a guy was climbing what looked like a sheer cliff face in South America.  Got me that churned up I had to pause it half way through to check google that the bastard hadn’t fallen off.

22 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

I watched it at the cinema and I've never had an experience like it before. My hands were genuinely sweating and my heart was pounding come the final stretch.

It does a fantastic job heightening the risk involved by showing the many people that have died doing it, the risk involved with the climb, as well as fleshing out all the people involved.

It's quite funny too.

My heart was in my arse watching it. 

There’s another one on Netflix about another bloke and his mate who want to scale the Dawn Wall of El Capitan. It’s called Dawn Wall, imaginatively.

It’s also really, really good, although a part of the back-story which comes to light at the end stinks of bullshit. But this climb’s the most difficult given the surface and the main lad had a considerable disadvantage which makes it all the more impressive. But they use safety gear, the shithouses.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Watched an interesting doc earlier on Amazon Prime. Eye Of The Beholder: The Art Of Dungeons & Dragons. Truth be told I wrongly assumed it was a dive into the niche culture of D&D games.

What it actually is is the history of the epic actual cover art in on all the millions of editions of D&D Guides and packs. It basically takes you through the artists quirks and history. Love that fantasy art even though I've never had a game of D&D in my life so I found it pretty interesting.