Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

Doctor Strange is pretty good. Some amazing crazy psychedelic mental effects work

and the reveal of the Infinity Stone at the end got a great, audible reaction from the audience in the screening I was in - including from me!

Watched it last night myself and enjoyed it. 

Doctor Strange is pretty good. Some amazing crazy psychedelic mental effects work

and the reveal of the Infinity Stone at the end got a great, audible reaction from the audience in the screening I was in - including from me!

Watched it last night myself and enjoyed it. 

Went to see it earlier and found it to be very good. Not the biggest fan of Benedict Cumberbatch, but he is good in this (as are the rest of the cast) and as stated the effects are very good as well. Not the best MCU film (falls somewhere in the middle of the many that have been released), but it is a solid 7/10.

Got a rare weekend off this weekend so I'm planning to go see Doctor Strange on Saturday, happy to see it's getting favorable reviews. I know next to nothing about the character, save for his appearance in the 90's Spiderman cartoon so I'm taking the same open minded approach to the film as I did with Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man (two of my favorite MCU films)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Awards Moderator

I was doing the hat trick for Rogue One on Friday and I was a bit puzzled by a trailer for a new Spider-Man film this year, apparently under the Marvel films banner.

https://youtu.be/xrzXIaTt99U

I thought Spidey films now sat with Sony hence the recent pointless reboots to renew their licence. I overhead somewhere Marvel were allowed to use him if he was in an Avengers film, but this new flick is clearly a solus arachnid adventure.

What's the deal here, comic film experts?

I was doing the hat trick for Rogue One on Friday and I was a bit puzzled by a trailer for a new Spider-Man film this year, apparently under the Marvel films banner.

I thought Spidey films now sat with Sony hence the recent pointless reboots to renew their licence. I overhead somewhere Marvel were allowed to use him if he was in an Avengers film, but this new flick is clearly a solus arachnid adventure.

What's the deal here, comic film experts?

Basically Sony and Marvel came to a deal where Spidy can be part of the MCU but still have solo films produced by Sony with Marvel Studios input

• Paid Members

Apparently the way it works is: Marvel got to use Spidey for free in Civil war and don't have to pay Sony anything for the privilege. Sony then get to use Iron Man and other MCU characters in their films (and pay Downey silly money apparently)

Marvel films, specifically Kevin Feige, also get creative input into the films as they now exist in the MCU. Whoever makes the film keeps the profits. Although it should be noted that either way Marvel makes out like a bandit on the merchandise rights.

• Paid Members

As far as I know it's separate because they signed him back up for Civil War and both parts of the new Avengers and he's on a percentage deal. Should imagine Sony would have to make their own deal with him. The money he's apparently been earning for them is insane:

Iron Man $500,000

Iron Man 2 $10,000,000

Iron Man 3 $50,000,000 ( percentage deal)

Avengers 1 & 2 $90,000,000

Civil War $40,000,000 upfront

$200,000,000 for the next two Avengers films (percentage deal)

He was THE guy for THE role. He had so many demons in his past, it was a meta casting for Tony Stark. He's been the lynchpin of the series but hasn't phoned it in because he's a ack-tor. Plus it's arguable the Marvel films rehabilitated his image, and Marvel got him when he was, as you say, practically unwanted, so a good gamble all round.