Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

It was perfect casting at the right time.

I've said it before but Iron Man was a huge gamble for Marvel. He was never in that household name bracket (Superman, Batman, Spider-man etc) of superheros, especially outside of the US and to non comic book fans. And to be the first film they self financed made them as a production company. The character is now arguably their most marketableĀ 

Ā 

Look at the numbers those films have generated. Iron Man 3 made $1.2 Billion, nearly as much as Iron Man, Thor and Captain America combined and not far off Avengers

I really liked Iron Man 3, and the whole Mandarin thing was [i thought] pretty cool.

Ā 

There is also a "one-shot" called "hail to the king" which suggests:

Ā 

Ā 

That there is infact real mandarin in the MCU afterall, and the bad guys from Iron Man just started using his name as a cover for their operations

Ā 

• Paid Members

I hated it. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it on here but it was the wrong character to do it with. Dialogue and the performance were amazing and I loved Ben Kingsley but you're ruining Iron Man's one big villain for a throwaway joke. They even tried to rectify it with the one shot, as mentioned above. I think my original comparison was it was like Dr Octopus turning up and it was a fella with a hoover strapped to his back, fine for a visual but you're chucking away 50 years worth of fan investment and potential storylines) If you want that sort of reveal just make up a new character.

Ā 

For what its worth the way the Mandarin was actually portrayed , as a fanatical terrorist, with hints towards the 10 rings stuff,was fantastic.Ā 

• Paid Members

So I've just got done watching Daredevil, managed to blitz through it in a few days.

Ā 

A little slow in places, but my word that was a cracking bit of TV.

Ā 

Read in here about The Punisher, and it was absolutely nailed on compared to any other incarnation.

Ā 

Daredevil himself was great casting and well acted, Kingpin was brilliantly done and I found myself wanting more and more episodes featuring Stick who I thought stole each episode he was in.

Ā 

Loved it.

Ā 

They really deserve to feature in Infinity War somewhere just on their performances alone.

• Paid Members

Charlie Cox said that his contract meant he was on standby in case they needed him for civil war. I'd be gutted if they didn't have at least one scene with the defenders in it.

A hero shot with the Avengers, the guardians, Strange, The Defenders and Captain Marvel lining up against Thanos would be pure fanboy material.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm calling it now, Professor X is all in Logan's Head and doesn't exist any more.

It's irking me a little bit that they made it look a lot more like Old Man Logan in the first trailer (desert, post apocalypse look), when its obvious that the rest of the film isn't really set like that. Still looks good and will be worth seeing, if only for the shoe horned in uber violence to justify the R rating.