Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

That trailer looks decent, but I'm not gonna get too excited until I hear some reviews. X men movies have been mostly poor.

Yeah - I can only think of three: X2, First Class, and Days Of Future Past. X1 was OK, I guess. The rest was meh, though I haven't seen Apocalypse yet.

• Paid Members

I'm calling it now, Professor X is all in Logan's Head and doesn't exist any more.

I thought that at first but we see the little girl trying to crawl towards him when hes in the chair having some kind of breakdown.

Im quite sure now he has mental problems and is so dangerous logan has to medicate him. We see logan with what looks like a syringe in trailer one while the room shakes.  

The film is tragic before it even starts, everything logan did in Days didnt matter one bit.

Edited by quote the raven

X2, The Wolverine and Apocalypse are actually the only X-men movies I like. There are good moments in all the others but as a whole they often disappoint me (Being a diehard X comics fan)

I would love to see a reboot done properly without being dominated by Wolverine or even worse Mystique. Let the characters who are supposed to be front and center be front and center and not the big name stars who found fame after being cast.

Rant over I actually prefered the first Logan trailer to his one, but I still have hope, love X-23 and hope we get to see Daken on screen too at some point.

Rant over I actually preferred the first Logan trailer to his one, but I still have hope, love X-23 and hope we get to see Daken on screen too at some point.

Regarding this last point, apparently fox didn't know anything about X23 at all (that she's the new wolverine in the comic books etc) and her involvement is due to the writer wanting to set up a decent father/daughter style set up with the two, rather than it being some ploy by the studio possibly carrying this on with her.

And with the comic book thing, I personally think it makes sense. In a "real" world, if these types of people existed there would be books/comic books/merchandise about them knocking about. (I believe First Avenger shows Captain America comic books for example).

Otherwise, I like the x-men movies (despite the colossal fudge up of the timeline and other continuity issues), being a fan of Xmen 1-3, First class, Wolverine, DOFP, Deadpool and Apocalypse. Origins can go do one though.

• Paid Members

http://www.darkhorizons.com/ben-affleck-will-not-direct-the-batman/

Shit, Ben Affleck has stepped down from (or been kicked off) directing the solo Batman film, that's not a good sign. Don't know who I'd like to see direct it now, I hope they find someone cool.

Edited by Call me Bellend

• Paid Members

I know Nolan had his critics, especially for the woeful 3rd film, but it is quite staggering how far Batman has fallen since he departed from the franchise.

How the hell do you fuck up something so good as Batman?

The whole DCU is an epic failure, moreso with the rise of Marvel, films like Antman, although nothing special was a decent little film.

They need to get a decent writer and director on board sharpish, they need a new Joker, they need to just start again.

The DCEU's issue is that they are playing catch up, and wanting to get justice league out sharpish, instead of properly building the universe up, like Marvel have.

Man of Steel was OK, (I enjoyed it at least), but the latter two movies have been so jarring in there reception (which I've seen ranges from "that was alright" to "what a pile of shite") where as Marvel seems to hit it out of the park every time, with their "worst" movie still being fairly decent.

In fairness to Affleck, he was one of the best parts of BvS, and I am looking forward to his solo outing, despite this minor set back of the directing the Batman movie.

• Paid Members

All this catch up nonsense is just fucking ridiculous. 

Why did they feel they had to catch up to begin with? Were they worried that Marvel would saturate the comic book market? If so it's just idiotic to think that.

As mentioned above, where they went wrong is just rushing the whole fucking thing. Whilst Affleck was easily the best thing about B vs S, it's all just smushed together in order to get to the justice league film quickly. 

I can understand their urgency now to get the solo batman film in motion as the ball is unfortunately now rolling. But all this was completely avoidable with decent planning and structure. 

B vs S should never have happened at this point, and Suicide Squad should have come way after a Justice League film. 

Edited by lambyUK

Its a shame as well as BvS has good bits but altogether its just "meh". plus a whole lot of stuff you either have to be 'in the know' about, [or read up on afterwards via comments from directors/writers], which the common movie goer just isn't going to know.

An example, I lost my shit when The Flash burst through time to speak to Bruce in BvS, [just after the equally confusing Nightmare sequence], as he's my favourite superhero and I've years reading the comics etc,  yet the entire cinema full of normal people just sat there wondering what the bloody hell is going on. That type of stuff needs explaining to a degree, as it'll put people off.

Some that Marvel does very well is appeal to both comic book fans and regular movie goers alike.

• Paid Members

I think 'catch up' is the wrong phrase. Marvel basically created their own movie franchise model that has made them billions, including great returns for relatively minor characters and WB /DC seem to have gone 'I'll have a piece of that' and tried to copy it, arse backwards by chucking a load of characters no one knows, or cares about into films.

A solo Batman film with Ben Affleck and a couple of little ties to Superman would have been far better at that point, leading to BvS and Justice League. They seem to be more into the 'throw as much as you can against a wall and see what sticks' model.

It's still stunning that after 9 years and 14 films Marvel haven't made an outright stinker or had anything bomb.

On the plus side, the Lego Batman film looks excellent.

Not to get all "Oooh I've seen it and you haven't" cos that's shit, but it is. It's so funny. Watching it with my 3 year old Batman obsessed daughter helped, but yeah, it's great.

Bit gutting about Affleck. I think he's a great director and actor (echoed, easily best thing in BvS), guess he just wants to concentrate on the performance?