Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

They've already come out and said he's still staring, producing and co-writing. Wouldn't be shocked if he left though.

You can't ask an Oscar winning director to write, star and direct then interfere to the point that he pulls out (and to be fair that is always going to happen when you're dealing with billion dollar franchises)

Marvel are just as guilty of doing it and seem to get around it by using Indie directors but even that's backfired with people like Edgar Wright (Ant Man), Patty Jenkins (Thor 2) and Ava DuVernay (Black Panther) pulling out during production and Directors like Kenneth Branagh and Joss Whedon refusing to come back. I think the level on control the studios have over these films must be on another level.

• Paid Members

i get the impression the Marvel control is completely different to what is currently happening with Warner Bros and DC.

Warner Bros' have been pressing Affleck in order to hit times and deadlines in order to satisfy the needs of the shareholders. He's not being allowed to bring something together organically. 

The stories you hear from Marvel always seem to involve creative differences and you can see why Marvel have to have their hands deeply in that pie. They have this huge universe now where everything is intricately connected and if someone starts messing with that everything could go tits up.

• Paid Members

It is quite baffling.

The latest animated film, Justice League Dark, is supposed to be very good.I'm halfway through watching Return of the Caped Crusaders. Not sure I like it.

Just finished watching Return of the Caped Crusaders. It's actually a fun watch. Very nostalgic. Julie Newmar's voice shows its age towards the end of the film. Worth watching.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm not enjoying all this drama surrounding the new Batman film at all, I really liked Affleck as Batman and I was looking forward to him making the film. Then he pulled out/was removed as director and now talks have fallen through with his 11th hour replacement Matt Reeves of Planet of the apes fame. There's even rumours Affleck might be leaving Batman behind entirely. With all the resources at their disposal why can't they get their shit together to make a Batman film?

• Paid Members

I'm not enjoying all this drama surrounding the new Batman film at all, I really liked Affleck as Batman and I was looking forward to him making the film. Then he pulled out/was removed as director and now talks have fallen through with his 11th hour replacement Matt Reeves of Planet of the apes fame. There's even rumours Affleck might be leaving Batman behind entirely. With all the resources at their disposal why can't they get their shit together to make a Batman film?

It's pretty mad, eh? It's why I'm not getting too excited about a great director like Mel Gibson getting involved, yet, because they'll no doubt find a way to bugger it up. It's worrying, nonetheless, two pros like Affleck and Reeves have had a look and decided against it, despite it being bloody Batman. Maybe it's the deadlines, maybe it's the fear the studio will shit themselves and cut it to mediocrity again.

On a more positive note, Logan is getting incredible reviews (currently about 95% on Rotten Tomatoes). Out next week, can't wait to see what they've done.

• Awards Moderator

There was a relevant-to-this-thread question in this week's Only Connect (I still watch it on a Monday. The move to Friday never happened). Excuse the multiple spoilers, if you know Only Connect you'll know why.

It was the picture round. If you don't know how it works, they reveal one picture at a time and you have to predict what the fourth picture will be using a s few clues as possible. The pictures were...

Val Kilmer

George Clooney

Christian Bale (you're supposed to guess the answer in the next one if you're playing along...)

And the eventual answer was Ben Affleck. The connection of course that they played Batman in that order.

I was screaming at the telly from George Clooney that "it must be Will Arnett! It MUST BE!" I would definitely have argued it if I was in the studio. Though I guess Kevin Conroy must fit in there somewhere if it's based on the idea of just voicing him.

• Paid Members

Hmmm. He did the Planet of the Apes movies right? I liked them. He should do well with this. Affleck stays on as Batman, he's ok. I didn't hate him in Batman vs Supes, although his portrayal was a little too gullible. At least they have a director and lead man now. They need to get on with making these films.