Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

• Paid Members

Lions Pride NJPW is excellent. As someone who knew relatively little about New Japan's history it filled in all the blanks.

I agree that the Capital Revolution is a very good and interesting read. Its very revealing, in-depth and what I found especially good is that it fills in holes and explains more in detail events that took place at that time. It is an easy read and it never feels heavy or to bogged down, the writer rarely sidetracks in to different events or stories whilst in the middle of telling another one which I find frustrating in any book I read.

I'm looking forward to the release of Pat Patterson book, that should be a very interesting read considering his lengthy career in various different territories. 

• Paid Members

Speaking of New Japan, the wonderful chaps at Voices of Wrestling have put together the 2015 year in review ebook. Best of all its only £200 ... Or FREE! It all depends on if you want to donate or not. Its available for anyone to download for as little or as much as you like. Its a great little thing. Like one of those old year books the PWI put out with bios of everyone and a look into what 2016 holds.

https://payhip.com/b/Y7Ru

I donated and my bank did stop all transactions on my account and asked me to confirm my last 5 payments before freeing it up again. Next time I'll take a freebie instead.

You using RBS are you? I get that shit trying to topup my phone on Vodafone. Look up the RBS Fraud Line number and phone it when you get shit like that happening. Automated call. Keep on ringing it until the computer gets your details.

Speaking of New Japan, the wonderful chaps at Voices of Wrestling have put together the 2015 year in review ebook. Best of all its only £200 ... Or FREE! It all depends on if you want to donate or not. Its available for anyone to download for as little or as much as you like. Its a great little thing. Like one of those old year books the PWI put out with bios of everyone and a look into what 2016 holds.

https://payhip.com/b/Y7Ru

I donated and my bank did stop all transactions on my account and asked me to confirm my last 5 payments before freeing it up again. Next time I'll take a freebie instead.

You using RBS are you? I get that shit trying to topup my phone on Vodafone. Look up the RBS Fraud Line number and phone it when you get shit like that happening. Automated call. Keep on ringing it until the computer gets your details.

No no I'm a Santander customer. Its become a common occurrence now. Happened ordering Tagged Classics off CeX and Cash Converters.

New book out today:

Jeanie Clarke has had one of the most varied careers in all of professional wrestling and is one of the very few stars to have been part of the boom periods in both the UK and the USA.

Born into a poor, working class background in the UK a chance meeting in her teens led her to becoming a valet during the halcyon days of British Wrestling, Jeanie appeared on World of Sport TV shows alongside ‘Gentleman’ Chris Adams. It was her relationship with Adams which saw her travel to the USA during the boom period of territorial wrestling.

Experiencing first-hand the Los Angeles and Portland territories, Jeanie was also around the massively popular WCCW promotion in Texas at its most popular time in the mid 80’s.

By the start of the 90’s she was a worldwide star after being part of the legendary USWA promotion. It was here that she met future husband Steve Austin and the pair launched themselves into the mainstream in WCW. Appearing on TV shows and PPV’s,’ Stunning Steve’ and ‘Lady Blossom’ were two of the biggest stars in the promotion.

Despite an early retirement to concentrate on raising a family, Jeanie still had professional wrestling as part of her life, and it was her love of a British cup of tea that led to an idea which changed the business forever when she came up with the ‘Stone Cold’ nickname for her then husband. This led to Steve Austin becoming one of the biggest characters ever seen in wrestling and kick-starting a whole new era in the business.

Despite no longer being an on-screen performer Jeanie was unable to escape the terrible substance abuse culture which engulfed professional wrestling and which took the life of so many of her friends and colleagues. Told in terrifying detail she tells of her fight for survival and rehabilitation.

Jeanie’s book ‘Through the Shattered Glass’ draws on her three decades in professional wrestling and being part of some of the biggest eras in the business. This book, featuring many of the biggest names in wrestling, tells the story of how a small town girl from the UK travelled the world and found fame and fortune through wrestling and how she also became a hugely successful business woman in her own right. Detailing the highs and lows of her career the book also offers a frank look at the excesses of the wrestling business which led to the tragic passing of so many of it’s stars. This book is a new look at the world of professional wrestling by someone who lived and survived it!

Going to pick up Capitol Revolution on the strength of the testimonies here. Cheers. Are Titan Sinking and Titan Shattered worth it then, yeah? I don't mind if it's some Death Of WCW style week by week account of stuff I already know the gist of - a year of the Observer with an overarching narrative - as long as it's well written and avoids falling into the cheap wrestling book territory of being either A) A cash in by a lapsed fan or sports journalist looking to make a quick buck or B) A Sex, Lies And Headlocks type deal which constantly strives to make me feel like a paedophile for supporting wrestling by eschewing traditional terminology for dramatic, tabloid language (instead of talking about a new character to debut for instance that book instead might say "The McMahon familys latetst stunt act would involve...". I didn't like it.)

• Paid Members

I got Capitol Revolution based off reviews here. Haven't started it yet because I'm reading Titan Sinking. In reply to the above, yeah it's good. Based on what you've said, you'll like it.

One thing about Titan Sinking that weirdly annoys me is the author reaching all the time for another word for "said". Nash "carped", Cornette "cogigated". And so on. Just fucking say said. It's a bit overwritten, like the author is trying really hard to seem smart. Which he probably is. But it's obvious that he's trying.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• 3 weeks later...